How Do you Secure Expensive Camera Gear in Your Car while Travelling?

fike

Adventurer
I have a lot of expensive photo gear. Sometimes I rent very expensive lenses for wildlife photography. I always struggle to find a good way to secure my gear in my Subie Forester expedition vehicle. How do you secure your gear from theft (don't say insurance, I already have that)? I was considering getting a locking toolbox and somehow cable-locking it to the bottom of the tire well, but that seems kind of kludgey. Any ideas?

Joe917

Explorer
Out of sight out of mind. What ever you do hidden is best. A locking toolbox is fine but make it look like something undesirable like a battery box or a water tank.

fike

Adventurer
Yeah, I have the outta sight thing pretty well down. I am more concerned with someone seeing me with expensive lenses on one day and then seeing my car parked at a remote trailhead on a second day. I won't be hiking with a 300mm f/2.8 lens, so that baby will be stored somewhere in my car.

kpredator

Adventurer
in our popup camper,had a steel box made that bolts to the floor inside a storage compartment.double lined with foam cut out for my big lens and spotting scope.
on very rough trails i keep lens in photo back pack.

dont have anything built into our jeep yet.have thought of under front seat drawer .need to take some measurements.
gets old worrying about lens,binos,scope.

good luck
kp

fike

Adventurer
I was thinking of similar types of ideas, but the idea that has interested me the most is to get a modest-sized metal toolbox, like for a pickup truck and then cable-lock it to the spare tire mounting bracket at the bottom of the tire well--I would need to drill a hole in the floor of the back of the car to thread the cable down.

This is the box i found, but it is a bit pricey. Maybe I could find something like this second-hand.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200620941_200620941

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Try to find something like a center console lock box. I have one in my scout and keep everything in there when the top is off and its parked anywhere other than my house. Works great. They have them for all types of applications. Good luck!

Edit: So its 6am and I'm not thinking clearly. I assume a lens beg enough for what you're doing wont fit into a center console huh?

fike

Adventurer
Try to find something like a center console lock box. I have one in my scout and keep everything in there when the top is off and its parked anywhere other than my house. Works great. They have them for all types of applications. Good luck!

Edit: So its 6am and I'm not thinking clearly. I assume a lens beg enough for what you're doing wont fit into a center console huh?

Yep, I am talking about larger glass like this: Canon 200-400. At about $12K is isn't anything to take big chances with.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Pelican case and cable lock..... a thief at a trail head can still steal it, but it will take awhile. Cable to more than the spare tire, so they don't take the tire and box and open it later.

fike

Adventurer
Which pelican cases are reasonably secure? Couldn't someone use the ax that they just put through my car window on the pelican case and crack the plastic open?

I was planning to attach the cable to the spare tire MOUNTING BRACKET which is welded into the bottom of the car.

If I could find a round security box that could take the place of my tire in the tire-well, I would do use it, but on the other hand, that would mean unloading everything in the car to get to the equipment.

vicali

Adventurer
On every Subaru I've seen/had there was a rubber grommet/plug under the spare tire.
You should be able to run a cable down through there and back up through the center where the spare bolts to.
If you put a box on your spare it's going to be pretty obvious unless you can get the cargo cover over it though.

You could go the out of sight stealth method and build a lens sleeve into the umbrella/rifle holder behind the rear seat :D

I carry my cameras and lenses in a Peli 1500 case, it would take a beating to get into if it had a lock on it.. the glass inside probably wouldn't survive..

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I was thinking of similar types of ideas, but the idea that has interested me the most is to get a modest-sized metal toolbox, like for a pickup truck and then cable-lock it to the spare tire mounting bracket at the bottom of the tire well--I would need to drill a hole in the floor of the back of the car to thread the cable down.

This is the box i found, but it is a bit pricey. Maybe I could find something like this second-hand.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200620941_200620941

Check Amazon, of all places. They have a box of similar dimensions (a bit longer but not as deep) for $70 shipped. Saw the same box on eBay, too. Using it as foundation for my chuck box.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

WininUtah

Adventurer
I use a Pelican case and some Lowepro lens bags to store my photo gear. In a vehicle, like my Jeep, it's almost impossible to stop a determined thief. The best defense for me is insurance, I have a rider on my home owners policy that covers all my gear ($10,000), about $70.00 per year. Not just theft but damage or loss, too.

loren85022

Explorer
I agree with W-Utah, Insur it. I can't tell you how many times I've recounted the time I missed an amazing black bear because my gear was too secure. Yet when my 400mm f2.8 tipped over and broke I only cared about the repair time.

I usually secure the camera in an open or easy to open soft bag. I care more about dust than anything.

For consideration is the need to keep the equipment dry and secure should you decide to go from your vehicle to maybe a boat, or somebody else's vehicle, or actually getting out and hiking. If you design your boxes to be secured permanently to your vehicle, it becomes difficult to be flexible.

Sent from my iToaster

gohuge

Observer
Could you repurpose a fire safe/gun locker and bolt it down? Have seen some pretty creative in-vehicle safe locations for rifles. Some gun lockers are relatively flat and can be laid on their back. Seen them incorporated in rear drawer systems.
Maybe even split gear up in to two different boxes/locations? I get the insurance as replacement, but it is the inconvenience/opportunity loss that you are really trying to avoid here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94