Tacticool Hats

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have two Outdoor Research Seattle Sombreros that I love. The black one has got to be 18 years old but is in great shape. The khaki-sage one is maybe 5 years old. While roaming the web for some price comparisons I found these deals that I thought I would post on

Here are two offers at Campmor which are about the lowest prices I found a few days ago. Maybe there are even lower prices out there.

Goretex "Seattle Sombrero" by Outdoor Research in Multicam (and other colors) for $48 (MSRP is $75, normally $60 at Campmor)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___00493

Outdoor Research Helios boonie style hat in Muticam for $36 (and other colors) (MSRP is $45, normally $45 at Campmor)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___31281

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
My wife and I are buying two of the gore tex hats. Just trying to pick a color. Im not sure which one I want.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The OR Goretex has always seemed like a good idea in cool, wet weather but any comment on hot, dry? I have worn mil-surplus boonie hats forever and hard to top soaking one in a cold stream and plopping it on your mellon when it's 95F and the relative humidity is the typical mid summer -5% around here. Would that work with the OR?

CCH

Adventurer
I have not tried the OR, but of the various Gore-Tex hats I've owned, none have been comfortable in warm weather. Gore-tex in general has limited breathing ability and when you think about how much heat pours off your head, it's just not a great combo unless it's pretty cool to cold. If it's raining heavily, I'm wearing rain gear... with a hood, so I'm not real sold on the benefits of a waterproof hat.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
Save your money, anything over $15-$25 for NYCO ripstop boonie cap is a rip off. Just google 'multicam boonie hat'. Hell, you can get an IR treated anti-FF, Crye Precision official version for $25.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
One more thing, now that 'Scorpion' has been named the official camo for ACUs shops are going to be offloading Multicam gear at steep discounts.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
One more thing, now that 'Scorpion' has been named the official camo for ACUs shops are going to be offloading Multicam gear at steep discounts.

Highly doubtful. To the untrained paintballer's eye they look the same. Crye Precison's Multicam has more vertical elements and some trademarking features.
LiveLeak-dot-com-413_1400944844-Multicam-Vertical-Circled_1400946474.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Save your money, anything over $15-$25 for NYCO ripstop boonie cap is a rip off. Just google 'multicam boonie hat'. Hell, you can get an IR treated anti-FF, Crye Precision official version for $25.

I guess there must be proof that Crye Precison's trademarked pattern has been ripped off by a little company like Outdoor Research? Exactly what is the UPF rating of a mil issue boonie hat? When a nyco boonie hat is wet it sinks in the water and the Helios does not. That is why I prefer the Helios for kayaking. What is the warranty on that $25 boonie?

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
The OR Goretex has always seemed like a good idea in cool, wet weather but any comment on hot, dry? I have worn mil-surplus boonie hats forever and hard to top soaking one in a cold stream and plopping it on your mellon when it's 95F and the relative humidity is the typical mid summer -5% around here. Would that work with the OR?

This. You can't go wrong with the mil spec Boonie hats. I too have used them forever, started using them on backpacking trips. Extremely durable.

X2. Excellent value.

I guess there must be proof that Crye Precison's trademarked pattern has been ripped off by a little company like Outdoor Research? Exactly what is the UPF rating of a mil issue boonie hat? When a nyco boonie hat is wet it sinks in the water and the Helios does not. That is why I prefer the Helios for kayaking. What is the warranty on that $25 boonie?

Warranty on a mil-spec boonie hat? None needed if it's made correctly. The poly-cotton rip stop construction makes it tough as nails. O.R. makes good stuff, I like their wind stopper beanies. However their sombrero hats do not do well in high winds in my experience. Too floppy.

I think UPF ratings are a marketing ploy. Virtually any non-porus article of clothing covering your melon will prevent the dreaded sunburn. :)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This. You can't go wrong with the mil spec Boonie hats. I too have used them forever, started using them on backpacking trips. Extremely durable.

X2. Excellent value.

Warranty on a mil-spec boonie hat? None needed if it's made correctly. The poly-cotton rip stop construction makes it tough as nails. O.R. makes good stuff, I like their wind stopper beanies. However their sombrero hats do not do well in high winds in my experience. Too floppy.

I think UPF ratings are a marketing ploy. Virtually any non-porus article of clothing covering your melon will prevent the dreaded sunburn. :)

X2. Excellent value.

Just a look at most pictures in my blog will show that I have used boonie hats extensively so I am not biased towards Outdoor Research because it is a name brand. The only real way to get a mil-spec hat is to be in the military or get it from the hands of a military member. I mention warranty because a lot of the "mil-spec", "military", "tru-spec" and other "spec" gear are all knockoffs and anyone who pays $25 for a cloth boonie hat is overpaying. A service member typically pays just $12.88 for a boonie. When a Brand X aftermarket boonie fades, colors run or stitching pulls who will we send it back to? Outdoor Research has a lifetime warranty. Companies that offer an honest warranty will make the effort to design in quality.

UPF is not a ploy any more than applying a standard documented test is to tires, batteries or sunscreen. What it gives you is a known reference to aid in decisions and ensures consistent production of those particular items. Exactly how does someone replicate your definition of "non-porus"?? A good brand of a new white cotton tee shirt can give you a UPF of 30. However, after stretching, washing and wear that UPF rating goes way down. Fabrics made with UPF in mind are better at retaining their UPF rating after usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne