RTT Ladder Padding

brentbba

Explorer
Ok, anyone else but me think it's uncomfortable as H*LL going up and down our RTT ladders in bare feet? Anyone wrapped the rungs with anything to provide some cushioning? Been thinking about taking pipe insulation or something similar to wrap/cushion the rungs so I don't need to have shoes up in the bed area with me.

Post up what you've done...if anything with pics if you've got them.

kai38

Explorer
I use my shower shoes to get in & out on the ladder. They tuck away inside at night and quick to put on to get out during the night.

Septu

Explorer
Mine sucks too. The PO put some elastic mesh netting under the base by the ladder. I leave my sandals in that at night, and put em on when exiting the tent. Kinda a PITA when drunk, but way better than using the ladder in bare feet.

reldred

Observer
I just try and make sure I have shoes handy. Too many sharp stabby/bitey things to be found with bare feet in the middle of the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silasf

Barefoot on the ladder is the one complaint my wife has. I have yet to try anything to help (I also had the swim noodle idea, just bulky). Anybody have any updates?

stingray1300

Explorer
Man, is this a subject close to my heart (or foot). I have even thought of welding some aluminum plate to each tread - at the appropriate angle - that would rid each tread of the sharp corner. -OR-, some how remount the existing treads at a better angle.
Keep the ideas coming. I may try some water noodles, but am concerned that it will not allow the ladder to stow as compactly as it should for traveling. (?)

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Hang a pair of footwear from the tent or ladder. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than a foot injury.

java

Expedition Leader
I have some rubber tape that I put on mine, almost like skate board tape, but rubber instead of sandy. Feel a lot better than all those little ridges on the rungs. Found the stuff at Ace

brentbba

Explorer
I have some rubber tape that I put on mine, almost like skate board tape, but rubber instead of sandy. Feel a lot better than all those little ridges on the rungs. Found the stuff at Ace

How 'thick' is that rubber tape? Cycling shops have cushioned cork tape for wrapping bicycle handlebars. I've used some on my golf Speedcart handle after the foam cushion on it split and fell apart. Nice, but not cheap! I dont' know if that'd be enough padding.

Had compeltely forgotten about this over the summer, but will have to do something soon as temps will be dropping enough to make camping bearable in the deserts before too long.

stingray1300

Explorer
The barbell pad is a pretty expensive solution (>$9 for each of 8 rungs? Ouch!) But hey, if it works for ya, then 'awesome'!
I found something, that while not perfect, sure makes a huge difference as to how the rungs feel. I bought a garage door bottom liner (door sweep) for a 9ft door. Plenty enough to do 7 rungs (14" each). We don't use the top rung anyway. I used 3M all weather adhesive tape on top of each rung, then put a cut piece of the rubber on top, drilled a tiny hole and used the ring-shank nails provided. Each rung is now 1/8" thicker. 5/8" total (the 2 bottom rungs on a telescoping ladder aren't close to each other). So it doesn't change how it stows. But boy does it feel better on the feet!
The blue tape is just until the 3M tape cures.
RTTladder.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior