RTT Ladder Padding

dixie1865

Observer
I was going to suggest the foam lining for the drawers of a tool chest. It's not too bulky so you could wrap it to your desired thickness and then zip tie it on each rung.

brentbba

Explorer
Just bought a 6' length of Frost King 1" copper pipe insulation from Lowes - whooping $2! Will secure with either zip ties on each end or electrical tape. I doubt the adhesive on the insulation will hold on the ladder as it's designed to adhere to itself when wrapped around a pipe.

Will get installed prior to trip on Sept 19 and will post back results.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Just bought a 6' length of Frost King 1" copper pipe insulation from Lowes - whooping $2! Will secure with either zip ties on each end or electrical tape. I doubt the adhesive on the insulation will hold on the ladder as it's designed to adhere to itself when wrapped around a pipe.

Will get installed prior to trip on Sept 19 and will post back results.

Pipe insulation only lasted about a week trip for me before it tore through. I have been looking for a better option.

brentbba

Explorer
Pipe insulation only lasted about a week trip for me before it tore through. I have been looking for a better option.

Spoil sport! :( I can understand how it could tho!

May just need to wrap it completely with black duct tape or electrical tape (may be a little slippery). Padding will still be there. I'll let you know. Pulling the trailer out of the garage this weekend to get her prepped for Sept/Oct trips and will get the ladder out for this 'modification'.

fubar

Adventurer
How about rubber radiator hose from the hardware store? I used this on my Baja Rack to protect the rack from the canoe. Just zip-tied it on and it lasted for several years.

brentbba

Explorer
How about rubber radiator hose from the hardware store? I used this on my Baja Rack to protect the rack from the canoe. Just zip-tied it on and it lasted for several years.

Would certainly hold up better than the pipe insulation I bought.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
How about...

...suck it up boys! ;)

I use a mesh bag bolted to the bottom of my RTT at the top of the ladder, it's easy enough to pull off and put on some flops or boots, no big deal.

brentbba

Explorer
How about...

...suck it up boys! ;)

I use a mesh bag bolted to the bottom of my RTT at the top of the ladder, it's easy enough to pull off and put on some flops or boots, no big deal.

Been there, done that.

Installed the pipe insulation this weekend. $2 experiment and 5 minutes of my time. We'll see how it holds up in a couple of weeks. If it rips as has been stated above, I'll look for the radiator hose! Pipe insulation seemed ok on bare feet. Certainly better than the aluminum ladder steps!

java

Expedition Leader
How 'thick' is that rubber tape? Cycling shops have cushioned cork tape for wrapping bicycle handlebars. I've used some on my golf Speedcart handle after the foam cushion on it split and fell apart. Nice, but not cheap! I dont' know if that'd be enough padding.

Had compeltely forgotten about this over the summer, but will have to do something soon as temps will be dropping enough to make camping bearable in the deserts before too long.

Its pretty thin, 3/32" maybe, it just gets rid on the metal ridges on the rungs, those are what hurt to my feet.

gstrange

I have used the pipe insulation and it works well. Also, sometimes you need to stand for a minute or two on a rung and it can be uncomfortable. I now use a ladder platform that works with the "Little Giant" ladders. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94