Bricknose F-350/ Wildernest build

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
So after years of lurking, planning, and some building, thought I would finally start a build thread....

Let me introduce Ozzy, my 1987 Ford F-350. The squared off front end has been called a 'bricknose' due to its aerodynamic comparission! It has a carbed 460, C-6 trans, BW1356 t-case, high pinion Dana60 front axle, Sterling 10.25 rear, both with 3.73 gears. All of this is original stock. My dad special ordered and bought the truck new, one of the first of the new body style in Kansas. My uncle was the sales manager of a local Ford dealership, so he was able to get it exactly what he wanted. Ozzy is all about function. No power windows, no power locks, rubber mat instead of carpet, base stereo, heavy duty suspension. Only extras are cruise control and two-tone paint. Dad drove it this way for years until he hydrolocked the engine due to a design characteristic of these trucks-if the seal at the rear of the hood gets torn, water runs down the ridge on the hood and drips on the air cleaner. Original air cleaners were concave, which funneled water down the carb stud, into the intake, then straight to #8 cylinder. Big blocks will start, regardless if a cylinder is half full of water! So I pulled the engine and rebuilt it with only 60K miles for him. At the time also added a mild cam and Edelbrock carb, as well as an aftermarket air cleaner and new hood seal! Other than that the truck remained stock until I got it.
I lost my dad to cancer in October of '11. He was a man who loved the outdoors, and passed this on to me, as well as the truck. We had talked about how cool it would be to build it into an expedition type rig and go exploring. The last few years of his life we planned a couple dream trips to take after he beat the cancer. Unfortunately he couldn't beat it. After he passed, I decided that the best thing I could do to honor my dad was to build Ozzy and take my own son exploring in it.

After a long search I managed to find a Wildernest locally for a fullsize longbed. It is pretty solid and in good shape other than the fabric, which had mildew and a large hole in one corner. Ozzy had a commercial topper on it that I had picked up and was planning on building it into a camper, so I had to use my 15yo son's truck to pick it up.
20130601_165952_zps17a0a44c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My wife wasn't as impressed as I was!

It was what I wanted, just needed to get it painted and ready to go on the F-350
20130602_190406_zpsc72a069e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
I got the commercial topper off the Ford and moved the Wildernest to my trailer so I could paint it.
20130720_164433_zps6dd11fe5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The commercial topper was great and I set it up to carry whatever repair and extraction gear I needed.
20130725_184138_zpsfce641e9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130725_093446_zpsd8167e9f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I have plans to replace the drivers side widows of the Wildernest with a very similar storage setup.
The last tax return was very generous to Ozzy, so it got new wheels as well as a new tubing bender to build the roof rack and eventually a beefy front grill guard.
20140412_125517_zps96188cd0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Last weekend I replaced the original bench seat the a 60/40 split bench seat with folding armrest and contractors style clipboard from a mid 90's Chevy truck. I have been a fan of these seats for years for their comfort and the usefulness of the armrest setup. Spent time looking for one in decent shape without much luck until I found out a co-worker had one stashed in storage for a project he was working on that fell thru. Hundred bucks later and a few hours with the welder, chop saw, and grinder, I had them mounted. I kept the original one piece slider from the Ford, but added the Chevy sliders too so that I can slide the whole thing at once, adjust them independently, or use both sets and get lots of access to behind the seat!

Very happy with the conversion! I have also added a custom stereo system with Bluetooth and aux inputs, upgraded speakers, Cobra CB in a custom overhead console and switch panel for control on lights, as well as future controls for other electronics. The headliner is shot, so Im thinking about going with a Highliner instead. Havent made up my mind yet since I haven't seen what the bricknoses model looks like.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Yesterday I opened the Wildernest and started removing the fabric. I am going to have a new one made, and hope to have it back and ready to use before the summer ends so I can get some enjoyment out of it this year!

Getting it apart was easy. I took a few dozen pics of every mounting point before so I can reassemble it when I get the new canvas.

20140526_1036441_zpsa93cac3e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It looks a little odd without the fabric!
20140526_1034241_zps943eed3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have had people ask about the strength of the bed platform on a Wildernest without poles. I can assure you, it is plenty strong!
20140526_1041031_zps0248a3a5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
So, future plans:
-Replacement canvas for the 'nest
-Replace rear door/tailgate with one piece enclosure and side hung entry door
-Build out the camper interior including seating, storage, water tank, house battery bank, solar panels, LED lighting, and maybe add a heater
-Finish the truck interior (Highliner, carpet, security system upgrades)
-Considering changing to aftermarket fuel injection. Better reliability, adapts to weather/altitude changes
-Add overdrive. Big blocks don't like high RPM's!
-Paint and body....who knows, might try to make it look purty! :Wow1:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
F-series Fords are great trucks. I think you'll find lots of love for them on this site. You should google the Tuttle's and their many F-series rigs that they've taken around the world( The turtle Expedition).

I think your efforts are a very special way to remember and honor your dad. My condolences on his passing.

Every time I go out off highway it feels like an homage to my uncle who passed from liver failure. He took me and my cousins out on my first wheeling trip to the Anza-Borrego desert to hunt for relics when I was about 10-11 years old. :) I still remember that trip vividly.

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
So why havent I posted an update....

Things haven't gone well with my build lately. Got the canvas off and sent out to get new one made. It should be done in the next couple weeks! Looking forward to getting the 'nest back in useable shape. Decided I needed to get at least one trip this year, so loaded up my Samurai on the trailer and headed out with some buddies for a long weekend of camping and wheelin'....We had a blast! Everything went perfect all weekend long! Finally had to load up and head home. Got camp broke down, everything loaded, and started out on the trip home. As I pulled out of the campground, started smelling smoke....then had smoke in the cab....pulled over and shut down, smoke started rolling out from under the hood.....THIS IS BAD!. Long story short, got hood up and found my alternator on fire. After two fire extinguishers, a mad rush for tools, and some crazy actions, got battery cable off and got fire put out. Wiring harness burnt up, alt. toast, hundreds of miles from home....not a great ending to a vacation. Managed to get everything home eventually. Did some research, found out this is a common problem!!! Ford used a 2G style alt which has a common problem with its connectors that cause heat build-up and fire. This is what happened to me!

GOOD NEWS THO!!!
this has given me an opportunity to upgrade to a 3G alt! Stock is around 70 amps, new one runs around 130amp, bolts right up, better wiring system, no more fire hazard! I will try and post a write up on this conversion as I build it!

Paul Kemp

Observer
Sorry to hear about the fire. My truck is a Phoenix also and rose from the ashes after a little fire. Something I learned is the fire extinguisher compound is corrosive. I would highly recommend cleaning all electrical connectors with the appropriate stuff. I bought an aerosol can at Napa labeled something generic like, "electrical contact cleaner". Then I would put the electric contact grease in the plugs.
On the bright side, you have a better alternator now and trucks of that year don't have tons of electronics under the hood. Looking forward to watching the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94