TJM shock quality?

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Shopping lifts for the xterra....

What is the quality of TJM items? They seem to be priced inexpensively compared to the competition....

Thanks

Richietherocket

Adventurer
I just got a TJM kit for my FJC. Seems nice on the few trails I have been able to run. Got mine at Toytec here in Denver. There was also another guy in our local FJ club. He works in a shop and loved the way his rode.
Call the guys at TJM. I talked to them at lenght about shocks and they were very helpful. Even told me who had what in stock.

GLWP

richard310

pew pew
From what I've gathered, TJM seems to be decently up to par with most kits out there, but don't forget, you ultimately get what you pay for. There were issues with the TJM/Bilstein combo topping out due to the coil being too long for the shock length. The Extended Length setup with the Gold Shocks from TJM needs to be paired with aftermarket UCA's but other than that, it's the only con of the extended lengths that I've read. But the biggest negative I see is that TJM's are twin-tube shocks compared to the higher monotube's which are essentially much stronger and don't heat up as quickly as the former. Go with Radflo's and the like if you want a step up.

alan

Explorer
I was a TJM distributor for 15 years, originally they used cofab shocks from brazil which were great shocks, now they use shocks out of china to save a few dollars and they are absolute rubbish!!! i would'nt put them on my billy cart.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
^ and there is my answer.

So now the real question. Do I just get the OME lift which is not really enough lift with armor and the load I carry? Or just get the big boy toy full remote resi radflo at over 2x the cost....siiigh.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
^ and there is my answer.

So now the real question. Do I just get the OME lift which is not really enough lift with armor and the load I carry? Or just get the big boy toy full remote resi radflo at over 2x the cost....siiigh.

I went OME, and I wish I would have saved my pennies for good CO's. Its rough on rough roads.... I went with their "medium" spring to... IMO spend the money

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I had OME HD on my previous rig and absolutely loved it. The issue Im having with their xterra kit is the lack of lift. :-/

richard310

pew pew
I'd say base your decision on what you ultimately want to do with the truck. Is this mainly to offset the added weight of armor and loadout? Because I'm sure you know there are simpler and less expensive ways than dropping $2k + on a full set of high end coil covers just for that.

Were you running armor on your previous rig with the OME setup?

IMO a good rig should only have necessary, well thought out add-ons.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
no armor on the previous one.

The way I look at it the only thing I would skimp on would be a front bull bar in favor of a factory bumper winch mount. That would save a little weight but still wouldn't give me the front end lift I am looking for...probably a little under 2". I could add a spacer and UCA's to the OME, but why spend another $600+ when it isn't increasing wheel travel?

ryandavenport

Adventurer
I just swapped from the OME HD front suspension on my 2007 Xterra and its a night and day difference. The TJM has so much more travel and rides so much smoother. I have right at 3.5" of lift in the front and 4" of lift in the rear.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Armored or no? Ideally, I'm looking for about 2.5 with front and under armor and winch in the front and 2.5 in the rear with bumper/tire carrier and 400lb. That puts ome an inch short....trying to decide if it matters enough to me to spend the money or not

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Armored or no? Ideally, I'm looking for about 2.5 with front and under armor and winch in the front and 2.5 in the rear with bumper/tire carrier and 400lb. That puts ome an inch short....trying to decide if it matters enough to me to spend the money or not

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have full armor underneath, a rear bumper without tire carrier, and stock front bumper. I didn't swap to TJM so much for the height as I did the ride quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94