Trans-America Trail and Beyond

Grabow

Adventurer
Backtracking is never the 'same old'...

Being sick when it's cold is the pits! So we packed up the jeep and headed south/west from San Cristobal de las Casas toward the coast. Our ultimate destination: Playa Zipolite, but that's a long, long drive, so we stopped at Puerto Arista and stayed for a night at Jose's Campground. Jose is a Canadian fella who's name is actually Joe. He's in his late 50's, kind of disgruntled (in a good way), good for a couple of chorizo quesadillas, a few (or a lot more) beers, and interesting conversation.

Joe and a group of his friends used to visit Puerto Arista "back in the day" and really liked the place. (Supposedly, it was one of the most visited beaches on the Oaxacan coast, but not so much these days). So Joe, being the adventurous spirit he is, decided to purchase some land and set up an RV Park where he and his friends could spend their winters and, eventually, retire. Except Joe and his wife are the only ones there, which is kind of sad. He seems happy, though. So cheers to you, Joe. He loves Puerto Arista. Hates Zipolite.

The beach at P.A. is long. Really long. And flat. That's about it.
This place was a hot, abandoned ghost town, and we were headed to paradise.

Or at least, that was the plan. About two hours west of P.A., we hit traffic, lots of it. A group of Taxi drivers had set up a road block and were making some demands on the local government. They had held the road for over 24 hours already, and claimed to be ready to stay until their demands were met. Time for a reroute.

Unfortunately, both the GPS and the paper maps, indicated that the blocked road was the only road. We pulled off on the shoulder to discuss a plan-B. Carley scanned the Guia Roji (THE paper map for Mexico), while Brian chatted up a local mechanic. According to the mechanic, there was another route. All dirt for about two hours, but it should get us past the road block. He showed us satellite images of the area on his computer, and the basic route that we should take. He wrote down the names of the villages that we would pass through, and did his best to remember if we should turn left or right before or after each town. We were off! Luckily, about a third of the way into our reroute, we found the rest of the traffic that had decided to brave the unofficial, unpaved, detour.

Semis, delivery trucks, tour busses full of passengers, and collectivos in both directions, all barreling down a very bumpy, washed out, single track in the middle of nowhere. New traffic jams were created every few miles, when rocks had to be piled into washouts, busses had to make five point turns at switchbacks, or when trucks would pass too close and both would lose mirrors. The villages that we passed through were clearly experiencing several years worth of traffic in one day. Every person, young and old, on the roadside with a bandanna covering their face to shield them from the clouds of dust and diesel, but not wanting to miss the strange parade.

Two hours later, we were back to pavement, and beyond the roadblock. Adventure! and we were loving it!

Until we hit roadblock number two. This time, it was a local village that had taken a bridge to demand the release of two prisoners. There was an ocean to our left, and a mountain to our right. This time, there would be no alternate routes, we would have to wait like everyone else. The only other option would be to turn back, head north, and drop into Zipolite from Oaxaca, thus turning a 3 hour drive into a 12-13 hour drive. No, we would wait like everyone else.

Being from the U.S., it was strange to observe the casualness with which the locals handled the situation. Instantly, truck drivers delivering oranges became orange salesmen, locals from the nearest town took to the street to sell snacks and drinks, and local tourists emptied from their busses to sit huddled around a CB radio taking in the latest news on negotiations between authorities and the roadblockers. Everyone smiling and chatting without a care in the world.

When it started to get dark, we decided to turn back, and find somewhere to sleep in the nearest city. We found a decent hotel (although a bit overpriced) with secure parking, and an attached restaurant. We would try again tomorrow.

8 am. and we were back at the roadblock with high hopes. No dice, though. They had held the bridge through the night, and were still in negotiations. We sat in the miles-long line of cars until about 5 pm before deciding to retire to the the same overpriced hotel, with secure parking, and attached restaurant.

The next morning, we took our time, had breakfast and coffee, and then headed off to sit in traffic for another entire day. Except, this time when we rounded the turn, and the bridge came into view, there was no traffic! The bridge had been opened! Third time's a charm, I suppose. Zipolite, here we come!

ZipoliteCabana.JPG
[The view every morning from our camp spot at Zipolite]

Zipolite, oh Zipolite. How do we love thee. Let us count the ways... Seriously, we really like it there. Not much had changed since the last time we were there; less french hippies, more aging gringos. Other than that, the food, the pina coladas, and the afternoon beers were all still there, just as we had left them.

To be honest, we spent almost two weeks there and we can't remember if anything significant happened. Lots of swimming, eating, drinking, etc. You get the picture.

We are headed north.

As we mentioned a few posts ago, the road between Oaxaca and Zipolite can be pretty rough on those who get car sick, and since Carley does, we decided to split up the drive and stay a night in the beautiful mountain town of San Juan del Pacifico. Known for their medicinal/traditional/religious magical mushrooms, this town, like Zipolite, is a big draw for traveling hippie kids. Oh, and it's breathtakingly beautiful. At roughly 8000 ft., the clouds roll in and momentarily disappear the landscape. It would be a bit spooky if it wasn't so quaint.

SJDPCloudz.JPG
[The clouds disappearing San Jose del Pacifico]

We were interested in trying their magical mountain medicine, but upon asking a couple of local construction workers/"hongo" salesmen, we decided it was a bit out of our price range due to it being the off season. Not really our thing, anyway. Plus, we had a spare bottle of wine and some bourbon that needed drinking (Kentucky medicine), so we rented a cabin on the mountainside, propped our feet up next to the fireplace and enjoyed the beautiful gardens and the drastic change of scenery.

SJDPRoomView.JPG
[The view from our cabaña at San Jose del Pacifico]

SJDPGardenFlowers.jpg
[Beautiful gardens at La Puesta del Sol at San Jose del Pacifico]

Onward to Oaxaca! The northern half of the Pochutla-Oaxaca Highway 175 is a lot less "throw-uppy" than the southern half. Once we arrived at the Overlander Oasis, we were excited to, once again, be in familiar territory (Carley already knew where she wanted to get tacos) and see some familiar faces (Calvin and Leanne are always welcoming and friendly). Spent a few nights there, planning the route home, before heading north to Cholula.

Mexico is full of ruins. FULL. They say that only a fraction (less than 10%) of the ruins that exist in Mexico have been excavated, and already it seems like there are so many. We'd heard about a pyramid with a church built on top that sits at the base of an active volcano. History. Religion. Danger.

CholulaVolcanoSmoke.JPG
[Volcano Popocatépetl near Cholula]

Cholula is a beautiful little town that sits on the edge of Puebla. Puebla is an enormous city, with a population of about 6 million, but Cholula still feels quaint. The largest pyramid known to man (yep, even bigger than the great pyramid of Giza) sits right in the middle of town, facing a 17,000 ft. volcano, thats been puffing smoke since the mid 90s.

CholulaVolcanoGraffiti.JPG
[View of the Volcano Popocatépetl from Cholula]

It's only fitting then, in the true Catholic fashion of trying to usurp anything historically or religiously significant, be it holidays, sacred grounds, or ruins, that on the very top of the largest pyramid in the world, sits an elaborate catholic church.

CholulaChurch.JPG
[Catholic church built on Great Pyramid of Cholula, also known as Tlachihualtepetl]

CholulaHighFly.JPG
[The Danza de los Voladores (Dance of the Flyers), or Palo Volador (Pole Flying) - mid flight]

From Cholula, we headed further north, and made our way back to the most photogenic town in the world, San Miguel de Allende.

SMAStreet.JPG
[Typical street scene in San Miguel de Allende]

www.adventureornothing.me

mapper

Explorer
Great writing and pictures. You guys seem to be hitting or pace/rhythm that many of these, successful, travel blogs eventually settle into. Hope you have many bright trails ahead.

junglecaptn

Regarding the TAT from TN to OK do you think my Michelin LTX ms/2 tires would be sufficient? Certainly better than the stock tires on the LR4 trip in 2013 based on some pics I saw. If I continued on to Oregon I would plan to switch to 17" and a BFG KO2 or something similar. Just wondering about the TN to OK portion for now? Plan to do this after Easter.

Grabow

Adventurer
I would think that you should be fine, on ANY tires, from TN to OK. Seriously, it's mostly just dirt backroads. Obviously, if there had been lots of rain or something, things could change, but if that happened you could just jump on the pavement. None of it is that remote, and none of the portion that you're talking about doing is too technical.

junglecaptn

Thanks for that comment. I will leave after Easter barring severe weather outbreaks. I know this section is not technically challenging. I did switch to GY Duratracs which I'll use later in the summer for CO and west to Oregon. I don't mind jumping over to the slab when necessary. Just anxious to see some country I've never been through and without the leaves fully out I'll actually be able to see a little more.

Grabow

Adventurer
Back to Reality

After spending a few days in San Miguel de Allende, making new friends, drinking entirely too much, and mentally preparing for our triumphant return to The States, we decided it was time. Pointing the Jeep towards the border, we reluctantly made our way north. We spent our last night in Mexico camped in a hotel parking lot at Las Palmas in Matehuala. It was safe and secure and the weather was nice. We sipped wine and watched the sun set behind the neon signs and palm trees. In the morning, butterflies in our bellies, we made the 6-hour trek to Reynosa / McAllen, TX.

LasPalmasNeonSigns.JPG

LasPalmasPalms.jpg

Typically, we have an internal debate about whether to take the “Quota” (toll road – quicker, supposedly safer, less potholes) or the “Libre” (free road – occasional car jacking, lots of potholes, road blocks). Every time that we’re forced to choose, we fear we’ve made the wrong decision. Taking the Quota means missing all the small towns and local flare, but also means we get to where we need to go a lot faster. We were in a hurry to get across the border before dark, and although it costs a small fortune, we stuck to the toll roads. Catching a glimpse of the Libre from the Quota, we could see that it was standstill traffic for miles. For once we both felt confident that we’d made the right decision.

As we approached the border, our stress level was already high; we didn’t want to mess something up and get stuck overnight in a border town, and to add to the stress, for some reason the tires were squeaking like crazy (it was bizarre, every time we turned the wheel it sounded similar to fingers dragging across a balloon, all over town) We were certain it was something bad, until we realized everyone’s tires were doing it. After driving around a bit, trying to figure out where we needed to go, we found the Aduana / Immigration office, gave back our Temporary Vehicle Import Permit and jumped in line to cross the border. Even though we got in the wrong line and were searched pretty thoroughly, it was way less painful than we had anticipated.

Funny side note: The immigration officers on the States side wanted to know what Mexico was like “Was it dangerous?”, “Were you scared?” “How were the roads?” Uh, y’all work at the border. Take a day off and go get a taco or something! Jeez!

As soon as we were back in the states, we felt an instant false sense of security. We were in our own country where we knew the language and understood all the street signs. More than that, we knew that we could just keep driving into the night and we would be okay (something that would absolutely not be okay in Mexico). When you spend months driving only in the daylight, you forget what driving at night feels like. It was warm and slightly humid and we had the radio turned up and the windows down. It felt like being a teenager in the summertime.

After driving for 12 hours in one day, we stopped just outside of Corpus Cristi and treated ourselves to a free Walmart parking lot campsite, a Redbox movie, and a bottle of Rex Goliath Merlot ($5). The next morning, we woke up early and drove another 12 hours, all the way to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Carley has family who own a condo near the beach, and they were nice enough to let us crash there for a bit before returning to real life. We stayed for almost two weeks, further delaying our return to routine. Mostly waiting out the terrible snowy weather in the Midwest, but also taking advantage of having a big comfortable couch to laze around on all day and watch HGTV and Food Network (neither of us have had television for years), every once in a while, it’s nice to turn off your brain. Plus, hot showers! Thanks again, you guys!

AlabamaBeer.JPG
[A selection of local beers. #1 reason it's good to be back in the states! Freckle Belly IPA is so good.]

On the night we finally arrived home, after sitting in dead stopped traffic for 4 hours, it was -2 degrees and it had snowed nearly a foot. (So much for waiting out the weather) That was a little over a month ago and, while we have mixed feelings about life, going back to work, and actually having responsibilities, we know one thing for sure: we can’t wait to get back on the road! Right now we are focusing on rehabbing our house with hopes to get it rented as soon as possible so that we can head south again.

HouseRehab.JPG
[Progress on the house. We've got a long way to go!]

HouseRehabCarley.JPG
[Demo is not as fun as driving around Mexico, but we're having a good time!]

sg1

Adventurer
Welcome back to reality. I hope you will settle in quickly and that you get your house rented. We will look out for you on the road to Patagonia when you travel again with your new overland vehicle.
Regards Stefan (your neighbor in San Miguel with the grey Ford)

Grabow

Adventurer
Welcome back to reality. I hope you will settle in quickly and that you get your house rented. We will look out for you on the road to Patagonia when you travel again with your new overland vehicle.
Regards Stefan (your neighbor in San Miguel with the grey Ford)

Hey Stefan, good to hear from you! Progress is going good on the house, so we should be back on the road in no time. I'll let you know when we start heading south.
Safe travels

Grabow

Adventurer
Good luck with your project and I hope you guys are able to get back on the road soon. I've really enjoyed your style of trip reporting and some great adventures. And since reading your report I have every intention of making it down to Zipolite, hopefully for next winter! :sombrero:

Thanks!

Thanks kennyj, glad you've enjoyed it. Zipolite is definitely not to be missed, we can't wait to get back there!

Grabow

Adventurer
You skipped NEW ORLEANS!!!!! in all truth I dont blame you mexico sounds safer some days.

Ha! Honestly, the only reason that we skipped New Orleans was due to cost of the KOA there. I can't remember how much it was exactly, but well over $100 per night, no hookups. We plan to hit New Orleans on our way back south. Our new build should be a lot more capable of stealth camping, and will make visiting there much cheaper.

Grabow

Adventurer
Like many people, most of my tattoos are a vague reference to events, people, or beliefs that are/were important to me at different points of my life. The spider web however was just filler. It's a classic tattoo that I think looks cool.
I've had that tattoo for over a decade now, and can honestly say that you're the only person that has ever asked. A lot of people will tell you that a specific tattoo has this meaning or that (across the board ,regardless of who it's on) and they're almost always completely wrong. While certain tattoos had very specific origins, those meanings have rarely stayed consistent through time.
Mostly, the points that I'd like to stress, are:
I'm not currently, nor have I ever been affiliated with a gang
I've never served time in prison
I've never killed anyone
I'm not down with any white pride/white power/white supremacist bulls***, or any of the other possible meanings, according to the Google search that I just did, supposedly associated with a spider web tattoo on a hand.
Just to be clear :)

junglecaptn

That's cool. Appreciate the clarification, not that any is needed but it brings back some memories. Back in the late 70s early 80s I was a paramedic and attended some "urban survival" classes. One of them was that if a patient had 3 or more tats they had an 80% chance of having done hard time. If the tats were of crude design they most likely had been done in prison. How times have changed, seems I'm one of the few nowadays that doesn't have a tat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94