"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great idea! I like the idea of just beefing up the rear now, and dealing with the front later. I'll give Nisstec a call and see what they have to say but I'm thinking that may be the way to go. I'm a big fan of both OME and Bilstein, so it really will come down to what fits the budget in the end, but like you said, the rebuild-able front coils from Nisstec sound perfect for a long lasting solution. Keep up the build and pictures!

Thanks!

As far as the front goes, both the OME and the Nisstec are great setups. Well built stuff with a good ride. The difference being one is adjustable and the other isn't. The reason I went for the adjustable Nisstecs is I'm adding a lot of weight up front. Bumper, sliders, winch, skidplates, etc. The Nisstec coilovers allow me to set the lift back up to where I want it once all this weight has been added. Of course, you can do this with the OME by adding a 1/2" spacer, but it doesn't allow you to be as precise as the Nisstecs do.

In your case, I'd consider what you're doing to the Xterra down the line. Are you adding a bumper? A winch? If you are adding all that stuff, I'd go with the Nisstecs. If you're not, or you're only adding a bumper and not a winch, then I'd probably go with the OME. And to be honest it's splitting hairs at this point, because the difference in cost between an assembled set of OMEs and the Nisstecs is about a hundred bucks. Both the OME and the Nisstec HD have a similar spring rate as well.

Dmski

Adventurer
Do it! I actually was perusing some Australian forums looking at D40 builds and they have some sweet stuff!

DD196

Observer
Good looking truck. Is there a reason for mounting the antenna on the front? And why do some mount it directly in front of the driver?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Poser :elkgrin:

yes this is coming from a Hoser :26_7_2:

Oh you know you'd do it too if you had all this cool gear like I do :D

Still super happy I dropped the money on this beast of a camera. I get such great results.

Good looking truck. Is there a reason for mounting the antenna on the front? And why do some mount it directly in front of the driver?

Thank you sir!

I put the antenna there because there's a tab there, it makes running the cable into the cab much easier on me, and I like the way it looks.

A lot of the Aussie touring trucks put them there and I just thought it looked really cool to be honest. For an antenna, I'm sure it's not an ideal location. The range would be better if I mounted it on the roof, where I have a flat ground plane, but this is a short range truck-to-truck radio for use on the trail, so I don't need a super long reach.

I have no idea why some people put it directly in front of their faces. That would annoy me to no end. Perhaps some of the pictures of trucks you've seen with it mounted on that side are from Australia or the UK and are right hand drive. So technically that's the passenger side :D

DD196

Observer
Forgot about right-hand drive. There was a build thread where the US guy put the antenna on the left but I think he moved it.

When a guy puts up good photos first thing people want to know is what kind of camera. Gotta give props to the shooter too.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Forgot about right-hand drive. There was a build thread where the US guy put the antenna on the left but I think he moved it.

When a guy puts up good photos first thing people want to know is what kind of camera. Gotta give props to the shooter too.

I'd hate to have it right in front of me. It annoys me when I'm in the passenger seat of the truck.

That is exactly right! Composition is the key to a good photo, not the camera. By the way, if anyone wants to know, I have the 24.3 mp full-frame Nikon D610. Because it's a healthy chunk of change, the only lens I have for it is a 50mm f/1.8. Gets the job done though!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I was meandering through the Cabela's here in town today, looking at some trout lures, when I wandered into the boat section. Lo and behold, Cabela's sells Blue Sea fuse blocks! For only $3 more than I can get them on Amazon, which is less than the cost of shipping. That means they get some of my business soon when I do the electrical bits.

In other news, I think my winch plans may have changed. Not sure. This whole time, I've been thinking about getting the Superwinch X9, which is by all accounts an awesome winch. $600 to get it to me through Costco. Not too bad I think. However, I think Cabela's strikes again. I go looking through the ATV/UTV section and to my surprise, they have bloody winches in the store! Not just for ATVs, but for trucks. Sitting there on the shelf was a Warn VR8000 and a VR10000. The VR10000 is $600. They are getting great reviews and look to be pretty solid.

So, now I have a dilemma. Both winches cost about the same. Both are assembled (not manufactured) in the US. I think the Superwinch has a better solenoid design, but the Warn will pull more (10,000 lbs vs. 9,000 lbs). The Superwinch has a faster unladen line speed (38 fpm vs. 26 fpm), but I can have the Warn right away. My ARB bumper was designed around a Warn winch, but I'm certain I'd have no problem with the Superwinch fitting. I get a little bit more rope with the Superwinch, but the rope on the Warn is thicker. The Warn has had great reviews so far, but the Superwinch has an outstanding reputation, so much so that Toyota uses it as their factory winch option down in OZ.

Hmmmm...

iron dingo

Observer
Great, now you got me looking at winches.

That is a tough choice the larger cable is appealing.

the X9 has a higher regular price and i am trying to figure out why

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94