"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Skibum, I just did a little research on it. The terminal draws a total of 20 milliamps, or .020 amps. That's a pretty miniscule amount, not really enough to make any big difference in my opinion. I'll run it for a while, and if I ever have any problems or it makes me nervous at all, I'll add a switch. Or I might just switch to a different terminal that doesn't have a voltmeter

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
So, took the truck in to the shop that did the work today. Didn't call ahead, just showed up. Told them what was going on, one of their guys looked at it, and determined it was their work that was leaking. He told me he could have it done by the end of the day if I could be without it for a few hours today. So I let him take it and they bought new gaskets (passenger side valve cover and intake plenum) and installed them at absolutely no charge to me. It's now home in my garage and leak free. Yep, I've found my new mechanic.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Oh yeah, and I ordered up these today: http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/nissanfrontier.htm :D

I ordered up the powdercoated DOM version without any tread plate.

I'm super stoked. I really like the design on these, and they have such a great reputation. The wait times are also actually reasonable. Shrock will take 2 months to get you a set of sliders. White Knuckle will have them to me in around 3 weeks. I was originally going to build my own sliders with a look that was similar to a modified version of the ARB side steps: a horizontal step bar that also acts as a slider, covered with a piece of tread plate. But then I found this design and I just love it. It's still pretty close to flat, and I like that kickout at the back for bed/roof access. I plan on ordering the right tread plate and making the step covers later on. It should still have the look I want but with a more unique design.

Dmski

Adventurer
Now that is a mechanic worth keeping!

Those sliders are going to look great! A bit of coin up front, but well worth it to save the truck from any trail damage. Good choice! Will you be considering fender guards later on connecting from the bumper hoops to the sliders? I'm a fan of the look on something like your rig but not sure the function will be justified. Something like this:
c19991ecadfc5f31df1ea474eacab025.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Now that is a mechanic worth keeping!

Those sliders are going to look great! A bit of coin up front, but well worth it to save the truck from any trail damage. Good choice! Will you be considering fender guards later on connecting from the bumper hoops to the sliders? I'm a fan of the look on something like your rig but not sure the function will be justified. Something like this:
c19991ecadfc5f31df1ea474eacab025.jpg

That he is!

I'm super excited about the sliders, they are going to look awesome. With their reputation, I'm confident I made a good call and it will look just right when I'm done.

So as for the side rails, the answer is I don't know. I may decide to add them later on. I really like the way they look, but it's added cost and more weight. But the added protection is undeniable. And honestly on my truck their main use would be animal defense. I'm not doing extreme trails or rock crawling. So I honestly do not know if I will add them later or not. I might. It's an idea I kick around a lot and change my mind about daily.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Because we both happened to have a day off, my fiancee and I took a day trip on Friday to the historic town of Chico Hot Springs, in what is known as Paradise Valley.

Chico is located about 30 miles from Yellowstone and a few minutes south of the town of Pray, Montana. This is about a 1.5 hour drive for me. The hot springs there had historically been used by the native population as a place to bathe. Mining activity in the region led to the discovery of the hot springs by settlers in 1900, and since then it has gradually been turned into a resort.

Being so close to Yellowstone, it is a great place for staying in a nice hotel which, I might add, has one of the finest dining establishments in the region. Chico also has a working tourist ranch, where they provide guides and horses for riding tours into the park. The biggest attraction to Chico though are the pools. Chico boasts two pools fed by naturally filtered spring water that has no need for any sort of chemical treatments. Since the water is coming up from a natural hot spring, it has already been filtered through the rock strata. They keep the pools themselves clean by draining and scrubbing them every night. It's quite a relaxing place to visit to kill a day. Then there are a couple of roads that snake up into the mountains, one of which leads to the old mining town of Chico. I took the opportunity to do a little scouting, since I've never been up this particular fork of the road. There a quite a few old buildings and many old abandoned vehicles.

This shed is one of my favorite old sights along the road.

Then the road starts making it's way deeper into the mountains. I had to turn around due to time and snow.

After making it back to Chico, we headed into Bozeman (home of the Expedition Overland team) and spent some time browsing the local camping stores before hitting the Montana Ale Works for some good beer and tasty food and driving back home (through a slight blizzard) to Billings.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Great pictures! Everytime I see shots like those, it boggles the mind to think what my relatives up there must have seen in the wintertime haha. They lived right by the Tetons, as in a mile at most from the base of that chain.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great pictures! Everytime I see shots like those, it boggles the mind to think what my relatives up there must have seen in the wintertime haha. They lived right by the Tetons, as in a mile at most from the base of that chain.

Thanks!

Yeah winter up here, especially when you get into the mountains, can get seriously brutal. -30* and several feet of snow is not uncommon. I'm actually amazed at how little snow there is on the ground up there right now. That's the amount I'd expect in mid May.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
So, time to bounce an idea off of ExPo. I've been considering selling my RTT in favor of a slightly different system that I feel might be more practical. The RTT limits my cargo space quite a bit, and the tent itself can occasionally be a bit of a pain if I'm deciding to remain at one campsite and explore from there. I have to close it up every single time, take some of the bedding out, and put the cover on. And then at the end of the day I need to set it up again. Then there's the issue of a canoe. I've been planning on getting a canoe, and I feel like it would be more difficult to put the canoe on top of the truck with the RTT in the back. The last thing I'd want is the canoe rubbing on the tent cover. Plus I don't know how much I trust the stock roof rack to hold a large canoe, so I'd have to come up with a good aftermarket solution (which I was thinking about doing anyway, but I've been reconsidering it for a couple reasons).

In the place of the RTT would be a fiberglass shell with windoors. I could install my Yakima racks which are currently holding my tent on the top, which would be a great place to set a canoe, as well as mount a 2-2.5 meter awning and Road Shower type shower. With the bed as a sealed up cargo space, this frees me up in a few ways. I would greatly increase my usable cargo space, meaning if I had company come with I could throw the bags in the back instead of at their feet. The other, more important thing to consider in this situation is I could put my dogs in a kennel in the back instead of having them taking up passenger space. This also applies to when I have kids in the future. It would also help in camp, because having hard sided storage means I wouldn't have to move my cooler/fridge and kitchen boxes into the back seat at night for fear of bears. The topper would keep it all secure. Because I'd be attaching the Yakima racks to the topper, I'd also have some convenient bolts coming through to attach an overhead cargo net to. We could easily store lighter stuff up and out of the way where it wouldn't take up any of the lower cargo area. The cap I'd be getting is a Century Crown, which is basically a copy of the Leer 100R. Here's a few pics to give you a general idea of how it would look.

Not the same cap, but this is with an awning mounted the way I'd do it.

"But what about a tent?!" I hear you cry. Well, I've been looking at these:

This design is based on the Oztent, which is much loved and well used throughout Australia. Yes, when taken down it is very large still, but I could just toss it on the Yakima racks and strap it down. When staked down they are very sturdy and will withstand wind pretty well. Plus they are HUGE! They are 6'4" wide by 7' deep and 6'8" tall. That would allow me to use any sleeping solution I want, really. The best part is this: Yes, CVT sells the Black Butte for $425, but Tepui sells the same thing (they call it an awning extension) for $270. From what I've been looking at, it's a hell of a setup for that amount. As for bedding, we would go to these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Lightning-Set-Cot/747013.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlightning%2Bcot%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lightning+cot&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products. I tried one out in the store today and it was super nice. With my sleeping pad, it is very comfortable. Yes they do take up more space, but I'd have a lot more space to keep them in. This would still be a fast and easy tent setup, and it'd be very comfortable and very spacious.

Overall I think this setup would be very practical (more so than what I'm doing now) and only very slightly more effort than the RTT I've got now. Now it boils down to the numbers...

A new cap is spendy, about $1500. Add to that the two cots ($160) and the tent ($270), and we're around the $2000 range. I have a friend very interested in my RTT, so that would take care of about $700. Now I'm down to $1300, which I think is very reasonable for what I'd be getting. It's quite the chunk of change, but I think it might be worth the jump. I can't think of why this wouldn't be a more reasonable/practical setup than what I'm using now.

What does ExPo think?

Allof75

Pathfinder
I like the idea of the cap, plus having the extra lockable storage for when you drive the truck around town would be a boon I'm sure. Those tents don't require climbing up a ladder (if you have kids in the future something to be mindful of), and look like they offer room to change while standing. Have you found a roof rack that would cover the cap and the cab like the one on the silver Navarro? Also, you might be able to find a much better deal on the shell by looking on Craigslist, around here at least there's tons of them listed at any time. The only disadvantage not having an open air bed would have would be that you'd probably want to start storing extra fuel cans on the roof, but other than that and the cost, it seems like a really well thought out solution.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I like the idea of the cap, plus having the extra lockable storage for when you drive the truck around town would be a boon I'm sure. Those tents don't require climbing up a ladder (if you have kids in the future something to be mindful of), and look like they offer room to change while standing. Have you found a roof rack that would cover the cap and the cab like the one on the silver Navarro? Also, you might be able to find a much better deal on the shell by looking on Craigslist, around here at least there's tons of them listed at any time. The only disadvantage not having an open air bed would have would be that you'd probably want to start storing extra fuel cans on the roof, but other than that and the cost, it seems like a really well thought out solution.

Correct on all counts. Having lockable storage in town would be nice, that's for sure. Not having to go up the ladder with small children in tow was also another reason for my thinking of going this route. And they are also 6'8" tall, so there's plenty of room for changing. The rack on that Navara is actually just a roof rack system on the cap like a Yakima, and the basket on the truck is separate. I'd just add the Yak and call it good. I've looked on CL, but Frontiers aren't very common here, so finding one for the truck would be difficult. Finding one the right color would be even worse. I'm prepared to shoulder the cost of the cap to get exactly what I'm looking for though.

As for fuel storage, I'm planning on getting a dual swing out rear bumper to carry my jerry can anyway.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I think the cap is the way to go. Just look around, and see if you can find an aluminum cap for less, if you are not worried about looks. Those tents are awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior