"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

mouse007

Explorer
Got my Rocky Mountain Xcessories recovery brackets mounted up and I couldn't be more pleased. They look awesome and really bring the front end together.

Lola has come a really long way and is really getting close to where I want her. I can't wait to get the leaf springs on her and see how it sits once that's all done. The back is sitting really low for my taste. I'm planning on setting it up so it has the factory rake. It's really looking like a proper touring rig now. :D So jazzed about it now. Once again, it's tough to believe this is my truck.

While I was out getting the shots, I decided to pull my Hi-Lift out and take a pic of how much down travel I have now. These extended travel Radflos are fantastic.

Awesome, nice build thread..!! What made you go with the Radflo Coilovers V.S. other brands..?

P.S. Man I need a Hard Topper A.S.A.P.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Awesome, nice build thread..!! What made you go with the Radflo Coilovers V.S. other brands..?

P.S. Man I need a Hard Topper A.S.A.P.

Hey thanks man! And thanks for checking out my build.

So, as far as the Radflos go, I chose them because their performance on these trucks is well documented, they perform excellent, and the price is right for an extended travel setup. The F-Alpha platform (Xterra, Frontier, Titan, etc.) isn't exactly chock full of options as far as performance coilovers go. If you skip Bilstein 5100s, Old Man Emu, and TJM, then you are left with Radflo, Sway-A-Way, Icon, and King.

I threw the Kings out, because I didn't need a 2.5" diameter remote reservoir shock. It is entirely overkill for what I do, and the coilovers alone would run $1500. I know the Icons deliver great performance, but again, they are a 2.5" diameter and cost $1300. Overkill for me, and the extra cost would provide minimal improvement in ride. The other potential issue with 2.5" diameter shocks is there is a chance that 285s would rub on the coilovers with stock wheels. I have no plans to move up soon, but I'd like to keep the option open. That leaves SAW and Radflo. Sway-A-Way is a great brand with a great reputation. They use excellent quality parts and give a great ride, and they are only $100 more than the Radflos. But unfortunately the only place I would be able to get them from is PRG Products. The problem with that is I called PRG several times over a period of two weeks, and he never answered or called me back. I had also read a bunch of reports online about terrible wait times for parts and bad customer service. After two weeks without help, I gave up and called Nisstec. They were able to set me up with a set of Radflo extended travel coilovers and SPC control arms for under $1300 with no fuss. I really liked the idea of the Sway-A-Ways, but I couldn't justify the extra time and hassle. Besides, the people on the Frontier and Xterra forums absolutely rave about the performance of the Radflos, and now that I have them, I can say I am in love with them as well. The ride is sublime, even over washboards, and they give me much better control than my previous setups. Couldn't be happier.

Haha I love mine! It gives me so much secure space to store stuff. I will say though that the Softopper looks absolutely awesome.

mouse007

Explorer
Hey thanks man! And thanks for checking out my build.

So, as far as the Radflos go, I chose them because their performance on these trucks is well documented, they perform excellent, and the price is right for an extended travel setup. The F-Alpha platform (Xterra, Frontier, Titan, etc.) isn't exactly chock full of options as far as performance coilovers go. If you skip Bilstein 5100s, Old Man Emu, and TJM, then you are left with Radflo, Sway-A-Way, Icon, and King.

I threw the Kings out, because I didn't need a 2.5" diameter remote reservoir shock. It is entirely overkill for what I do, and the coilovers alone would run $1500. I know the Icons deliver great performance, but again, they are a 2.5" diameter and cost $1300. Overkill for me, and the extra cost would provide minimal improvement in ride. The other potential issue with 2.5" diameter shocks is there is a chance that 285s would rub on the coilovers with stock wheels. I have no plans to move up soon, but I'd like to keep the option open. That leaves SAW and Radflo. Sway-A-Way is a great brand with a great reputation. They use excellent quality parts and give a great ride, and they are only $100 more than the Radflos. But unfortunately the only place I would be able to get them from is PRG Products. The problem with that is I called PRG several times over a period of two weeks, and he never answered or called me back. I had also read a bunch of reports online about terrible wait times for parts and bad customer service. After two weeks without help, I gave up and called Nisstec. They were able to set me up with a set of Radflo extended travel coilovers and SPC control arms for under $1300 with no fuss. I really liked the idea of the Sway-A-Ways, but I couldn't justify the extra time and hassle. Besides, the people on the Frontier and Xterra forums absolutely rave about the performance of the Radflos, and now that I have them, I can say I am in love with them as well. The ride is sublime, even over washboards, and they give me much better control than my previous setups. Couldn't be happier.

Haha I love mine! It gives me so much secure space to store stuff. I will say though that the Softopper looks absolutely awesome.

Good stuff man...!!! I haven't seen the Radflo CO in person, but from your pictures they look extremely nice. Excellent build man, I'll keep an eye on it. I do love the look of the softopper I've just had it for such a long time I'm kinda ready for a change.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good stuff man...!!! I haven't seen the Radflo CO in person, but from your pictures they look extremely nice. Excellent build man, I'll keep an eye on it. I do love the look of the softopper I've just had it for such a long time I'm kinda ready for a change.

They are excellent for the price. I am really happy with them. Thanks man! Feel free to poke your head in and comment once in a while.

I hear you on the Softopper. I love my fiberglass cap.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
The 2015 Northwest Overland Rally! - Part 1

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the 2015 NW Overland Rally in Washington just a few days ago. I had the most fun I've had in a long time. It was completely worth the long two day drive from central Montana. I met some fantastic people and did some fantastic things. But, let's get into it!

I left my folks' house in Seeley Lake early, forgetting that there was a time change in between Montana and Washington. I was out and on the road at 7:00 AM. I really enjoyed the drive through the Idaho panhandle and into Spokane, but after Spokane, Washington's high desert is a little boring. But it wasn't too long before I made my way into the hilly wine country as I pulled into Wenatchee. After a quick gas up and a short drive, I made it to plain and checked in at the rally. I was so stoked to see all the decked out rigs and vendors. I got set up as the temps started to soar.

After I got camp set up, I took a walk around the field and checked out some of the really cool rigs. These people are from South Africa, and they are a delight to chat with.

This van belongs to overlanders Pablo and Anna, who have been on the road and traveling for 15 years full time. Theirs is a really inspiring story that I really enjoyed hearing and reading about.

This guy's FJ40 is really awesome and really well setup for overland travel. It's so cool to see such an old truck being used for what it was built for even today.

This was a very cool and very subtle Tacoma build. I really liked the style of this particular truck.

These folks were from up in Canada, and they had one seriously cool 4Runner. It's totally decked out with bumpers, RTT, drawers, fridge, everything. I was drooling over it a bit, I'll admit.

This sweet truck is Nitro Gear and Axle's shop rig, and it really is as cool in person as it is in the pictures, and the Nitro guys are really cool people.

I got to watch the new Expedition Overland episode early, which was really damn cool. It's got me super stoked to see the new season. After that, I got the opportunity to cook dinner and get to know my neighbors. Everyone I met was really cool. There were a couple of Xterra owners next to me who were really welcoming and awesome to talk to. The folks in the 4Runner next to me were really nice people with two dogs who I became friends with. The folks in the 4Runner behind me were from Canada and offered to show me around when I finally make it up there this August. The people next to them were in a really decked out Porsche Cayenne that they use to do time-distance rallies all around the world. Everyone was so welcoming and warm. I was really impressed by the sense of camaraderie and community that this group has. It's made me so excited to move out that direction once I'm out of school.

On Friday morning, I did the advanced 4x4 trail run, which was an absolute blast. The trail we ran up above the historic town of Liberty was one of the more technical runs I've ever done, and I was having a ball with it. I showed up in the line and my truck was the least lifted and on the smallest tires, but the trail leader said I should be fine. It was awesome. I used my sliders a couple of times, and was on three wheels once or twice. There were some really off-camber parts and the trail got really tight a couple times, but I was never in danger of damage or getting really stuck. Sadly, I didn't get any pics while on the trail.

This guy actually did the run with this genuine Camel Trophy Defender 110, which was an awesome thing to witness. It was handling it like a champ.

The track was really dusty, and I now have a good coating of dust on everything.

Lola has a few extra pinstripes now....

tip

Adventurer
I must have seen your truck a few times at the Rally, love the truck and the build thread.

jhberria

Adventurer
Great to meet you at the rally, man. Great photos, as well. I'll have to upload a few of the photos I took later this week.

Stokelyvancamp

Great info on the suspension, I was looking at the PRG Fox set-up for the Titan, I'll have to look and see what options there are...

Great info on the Rally, looks worthwhile, and not that far from where I am...

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Hey Wreck! Caught up on your build and I have to say - you have built the Frontier that I have dreamed of building. It's awesome! Glad you had a good time at the rally, and super jealous that you got to see the new Expedition Overland video early! I can't wait for the new series.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Great coverage of the event. Awesome looking rigs everywhere and your's looks right at home amongst them. After all the up close and personal with these nicely setup rigs are you planning to add anything else to your's?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Sweet destination for a road trip!! Looked like a blast.

Yeah it sure was! It was a really great time. There were some really great people there and the whole thing felt like one big family. Aside from the heat, I didn't have a single negative moment there.

I must have seen your truck a few times at the Rally, love the truck and the build thread.

Hey thanks man! The Rally was a blast and I fully intend to go next year. Hopefully see you there next year!

Great to meet you at the rally, man. Great photos, as well. I'll have to upload a few of the photos I took later this week.

Hey man it was awesome meeting you and getting to know you. We'll definitely have to get something set up to go hit a few trails in the future. I've always wanted to run the Magruder Corridor and the Lolo Motorway through Idaho.... :D

Great info on the suspension, I was looking at the PRG Fox set-up for the Titan, I'll have to look and see what options there are...

Great info on the Rally, looks worthwhile, and not that far from where I am...

Yeah man there's a few good suspension options out there. I really like what Fox does, but I think there is a Radflo coilover made for the Titan as well. Might save you a bit and still give you a high quality setup.

Well maybe I'll see you there next year!

Hey Wreck! Caught up on your build and I have to say - you have built the Frontier that I have dreamed of building. It's awesome! Glad you had a good time at the rally, and super jealous that you got to see the new Expedition Overland video early! I can't wait for the new series.

Hey man! Great to see you poking your head in here again!

Haha with the little one on the way it might be time to think about upsizing to a 2nd gen! Lola is getting there... I still have a lot to do though before it's where I want. Thanks man! Still loving it even now.

Yeah the Rally was a blast. From the new episode I saw, this new season will be absolutely outstanding. They've really stepped up their game this time out. Oh, and good news guys! Looks like there will be even more offroading!

Outstanding pictures. I'll be traveling some of the same areas at the end of this month.

Thanks man! Where you headed?

Great coverage of the event. Awesome looking rigs everywhere and your's looks right at home amongst them. After all the up close and personal with these nicely setup rigs are you planning to add anything else to your's?

Hey stioc, nice to see you in here again! Yeah the Rally was great. What I've shown is just a fraction of the awesomeness that was there.

I took away a few things, but it mostly made me shift the fridge higher on my priorities list, and after doing those trails and seeing those trucks, I'm pretty sure I'll be jumping to 33s in the future. My 265s just don't give me the clearance I'm looking for. I'll also be aiming for 3" of lift all around, possibly 3.25" in the front once I get my new leafs in. Otherwise, I haven't made any real changes to the build plan. Mostly the Rally just built confidence for me. I now know my truck is much more capable than I first realized, and I know my abilities better. It also made me more excited to get out and explore. So many plans floating around in my head now!

Stay tuned guys, more coverage of my trip to the NW Overland Rally is coming once I have the chance to sit down and catch up on pics and writing.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh I check your build progress every now and again when I'm on here. I like the sounds of your plans, the fridge is something I've used on every trip since I got it, unless it's a quick day trip.

The only thing I'd caution you on is the 33" tires, you might want to research that a bit to see if the gearing will cause the truck to become lethargic especially at altitude. IMHO the difference from the 265s to 285s is negligible ground clearance wise. If you're going with the 255/85/16s I'd be more concerned about the loss of power. I have the same tire size as your's and I haven't found that going to 33s would give me a major advantage. I usually get through anything that I would on 33s but I also know when not to follow those on 35+ tires :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94