"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Have you been calculating by hand?

Also these average mpg calculators will do just that, average the data. So it could be using data from a previous day/trip to average with until you produce more recent data points as you drive along

I reset the computer before each section of highway. The distances were rather short, so I just used the computer. It will give you a fairly accurate instant or short period mpg when you're on the highway.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I don't have an active subscription but I heard about the test and the tid-bits of the results. Was the pecking order i.e. Cooper AT3, BFG AT, General AT2, Falken Wild Peaks, Toyo OC and Goodyear Duratracs?

The thing is tires depend on the terrain, weight, the vehicle dynamics and what traits are more important to you (comfort, noise, ruggedness etc). Speaking from what I see out there most agencies around here (Parks service, Sheriff, Fire dept etc) all use BFG ATs so do the Ford Raptors, FJ Trails Team edition, Tacoma Baja edition, the last Power Wagon etc. It's not just because BFG gives them a discount or even because they're the best tires in every category out there because they're not. It's because they're tough tires and can take a lot of punishment while still act and function fairly well on-road- mud is not their forte though but most ATs aren't that good in the mud either. Wild Peaks also have really thick sidewalls. Even on Cooper's website if you compare the specs and features of the AT3 vs. ST/Maxx you'll see the ST/Maxx are designed to take more punishment and mostly people have been happy with them. That was my reason for the recommendation. There's no question the AT3 or other tires aren't good or even better when it comes to pure traction or noise etc but it's the durability that's most important to me and unless the test included rubbing the sidewalls against the granite rocks (as I did in Moab, oops) it doesn't answer the question that's most important to me.

Just an addition to this: As a BLM employee with (just checked my GPS yesterday) over 300,000 miles in 3 years, our rigs get new tires when they are needed and the type and aggressive nature is done by whatever procurement suggests for the terrain. This is not a "just get the BFG AT's" convo, it is whoever has the cheapest GSA cost in the area.

jpat30

Adventurer
Oh, I forgot to mention that in last weekend's adventures, the rear bumper managed to come down on a rock pretty good. So, my trailer plug is toast now. Lots of shattered, missing plastic.
^^^^^^^^
Yeah; might be a good time to relocate that to the bumper; as you probably already know, there is a mod for that:) Nice truck btw. I really enjoyed my Frontier and still miss it from time to time.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Oh, I forgot to mention that in last weekend's adventures, the rear bumper managed to come down on a rock pretty good. So, my trailer plug is toast now. Lots of shattered, missing plastic.
^^^^^^^^
Yeah; might be a good time to relocate that to the bumper; as you probably already know, there is a mod for that:) Nice truck btw. I really enjoyed my Frontier and still miss it from time to time.

Thanks!

MPG numbers are still wonky, and starting to look too low for me. Whether I'll be keeping the tires long term is still up in the air.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

MPG numbers are still wonky, and starting to look too low for me. Whether I'll be keeping the tires long term is still up in the air.

What tires would you get that would result in better fuel mileage?

I can't imagine it would be significant.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
What tires would you get that would result in better fuel mileage?

I can't imagine it would be significant.

It's not necessarily that the mileage numbers are way too low, it's that they are maddeningly inconsistent. Something about this set of tires is just off. They don't quite feel right, and the numbers flying back and forth are kind of driving me nuts. I have verified the goofy numbers with hand calculations, and they are pretty weird.

If I was going to change tires, my first choice would still be the Cooper AT3. They are a touch lighter than the Generals (50lbs vs. 53lbs), and the pattern has a lower rolling resistance than the AT2. They drive wonderfully on the road, and the tread is extremely capable in most conditions off road. If t's good enough for these guys.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5chsRLLE4OM

Last edited:

marty1977

Adventurer
I have seen all the Pats vids and they are awesome adventures. Just wanted to throw in here, Im very happy with my Hercules Terra Track II they are made by Cooper and tread patter is very similar to AT3 and they are quiet on the road and so far driving off road in my area with is some mud and lots of rocks on old logging roads they are fantastic and cost less then Coopers to. If you have any questions let me know.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I have seen all the Pats vids and they are awesome adventures. Just wanted to throw in here, Im very happy with my Hercules Terra Track II they are made by Cooper and tread patter is very similar to AT3 and they are quiet on the road and so far driving off road in my area with is some mud and lots of rocks on old logging roads they are fantastic and cost less then Coopers to. If you have any questions let me know.

I've had good experiences with Hercules tires in the past, and I do like the Terra Trac.

However, after a lot of driving today and some looking at numbers, everything seems to have finally stabilized. Smooth going down the highway now and the mpgs have stabilized to a reasonable level. I guess these tires just have a longer break-in period than I am used to, but all seems good now! I was just really annoyed for a week or so. :D

On a different note, I've given some serious thought to doing those fender protection tubes. It'd be dead simple to make them, and they would add loads of protection.

Mine would have more rounded bends. Thoughts?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I like the way those look, but do you think you're doing enough bush whacking to need them?

Need? Probably not. But it is an extra layer of protection. Plus I think they look cool. To be honest, that's what it's mainly about. Like I said, just an idea I've been tossing around. Nowhere near that stage yet.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Dude. That's what I'm talking about. That's awesome!

I wouldn't go all the way to the sliders, but that's exactly my though process.

skibum315

Explorer
Check out P&P Engineering on FB or here (an introductory thread on TNX); they're out on the East Coast, and are working on a slider/guard package like that. Or, the ones you posted look like the ones that ARB makes for the Navara ... but then you'd have the issue of shipping from AUS, probably a similar problem to the Kaymar bumper you looked into.

As much as I like the look of fender bars like that, I always worry about the torques that could be generated if you actually do lean the truck up on something but back at the bend ... that's a pretty long lever arm in either direction, and I worry about potential deflection or damage multiplication. If you added a hood-bar to try and reinforce that point (to the other side), then you're pretty quickly knocking on the door of an exo-cage.

If you're doing them yourself, or having them done for you locally, you could also use something like this: http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac702002-120.html, to make different parts of the tube removable. You just have to be mindful of how it all has to go together, so that you don't wind up in a situation where you can't get the removable parts out because of how the inserts are oriented.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I vote a do it if you would like them... Sometimes you have to indulge a little right? Plus, they are used heavily in the brush down under so they must work well for that, and I dont think I've seen a mention about the negatives. The Expedition Overland team liked theirs.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Dude. That's what I'm talking about. That's awesome!

I wouldn't go all the way to the sliders, but that's exactly my though process.

I just think they look super beefy, and in my ongoing quest to make my truck look like an Aussie touring rig... :D

Check out P&P Engineering on FB or here (an introductory thread on TNX); they're out on the East Coast, and are working on a slider/guard package like that. Or, the ones you posted look like the ones that ARB makes for the Navara ... but then you'd have the issue of shipping from AUS, probably a similar problem to the Kaymar bumper you looked into.

As much as I like the look of fender bars like that, I always worry about the torques that could be generated if you actually do lean the truck up on something but back at the bend ... that's a pretty long lever arm in either direction, and I worry about potential deflection or damage multiplication. If you added a hood-bar to try and reinforce that point (to the other side), then you're pretty quickly knocking on the door of an exo-cage.

If you're doing them yourself, or having them done for you locally, you could also use something like this: http://www.pacificcustoms.com/ac702002-120.html, to make different parts of the tube removable. You just have to be mindful of how it all has to go together, so that you don't wind up in a situation where you can't get the removable parts out because of how the inserts are oriented.

I'm planning to build them with a friend. Back in high school, he built a tubing bender that kicks mucho butt. I do a bit of helping out around his shop, and it's free. I'll have to look into how the XO team did their side rails as far as connecting them to the sliders. If I do build them, I'd make them removeable. They would unbolt at the bumper and the slider, so the rails would be a one piece deal.

As far as leaning them on stuff... I'm not sure this truck would find itself in a position where I tilted it enough to lean on the side rails. If I need to do that kind of rock crawling to get there, I really don't need to go there :)

In my mind, it's more for animals and keeping branches and the like off the fenders than anything else.

DO IT !!! " Better have it and not needed then needed and not have it "

Excellent way to think about it! :D

I vote a do it if you would like them... Sometimes you have to indulge a little right? Plus, they are used heavily in the brush down under so they must work well for that, and I dont think I've seen a mention about the negatives. The Expedition Overland team liked theirs.

Haha you make a good point. A lot of building this kind of truck is about indulgence. Why fight it? :D

Like I said, in my unending quest to make my truck look like it just drove out of the outback, these rails would help complete it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior