"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I think the cap is the way to go. Just look around, and see if you can find an aluminum cap for less, if you are not worried about looks. Those tents are awesome.

I'm increasingly thinking the same thing. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal, though I won't be getting an aluminum canopy. I think they're really ugly and pretty weak if you try to add a roof load. I'm okay with spending a bit more for a glass one. Problem is that Frontiers aren't a common truck out here, so a secondhand topper is hard to find. I'm thinking of calling up some car lots in the area to see if they have any.

Yeah I really like their design. The Oztents are a little nicer, but much more expensive.

Have you considered keeping your RTT and putting it on a small trailer?

Yep, but decided against it. Putting it on a trailer would eliminate the problem of having to pack it up at night and all that. But it creates another problem when I'm on tight switchbacks, which I find myself on a lot. The other thing to think about is I'd have to build/buy a trailer, then have it licensed, etc. That's a fair bit of extra cash. So is the topper solution, but part of it will be paid for by selling the RTT. Besides, I'd just prefer the simplicity of the truck being totally self-contained.

I do really like the RTT, but I don't think making this switch would be any major hardship. That ground tent is still a breeze to set up, and it gives me a ton of space. Toss a nice cot solution in there and you're golden. I think this type of tenting is more conducive to my travel style anyway. Sometimes I do the base camp thing, which is where this system would shine. Fast setup and what you end up with is very comfortable. If we're campsite-hopping, then it won't be quite as nice as the RTT, but it would still be very quick and easy.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I am going through the same thing, sold my RTT and mounting rack and ordered a Leer 100R on Wednesday. You may want to check out SLC, UT leer prices, because for the price of gas, hotel, a day skiing, and Red Iguana, you could still save some $$$ looking elsewhere for a topper.

I plan on building a low profile sleeping platform and ordering a DAC Midsize Truck Tent. Everything should fit under 7 inches of my sleeping platform in a modular setup with a hinge near the foot of the tailgate that will swing up and add 7 inches to the truck so I can sleep without my feet dangling (6 ft tall, 5 foot bed). Water Container and Cooler should be the only thing that needs to be moved at night time. Camp chairs can stay under the stars/ awning or be stowed back under the sleeping platform.

That is my ideal "self contained" setup. Hard ceiling for rain and 3/4 of the way around closed for bear protection.

The added security of carrying mountain bikes and skis on a regular haul day is worth getting rid of a RTT to me as well.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Some aluminum caps have internal structures for loads. Though, in my 2 year search for one, I never saw one, OR a flimsy one at all for my CC. Glass caps? I found them by the dozen, but were mostly from wrecks, or far outside of my price range. I ended up looking at a soft top, but had to sell off the truck once I left the Navy.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I am going through the same thing, sold my RTT and mounting rack and ordered a Leer 100R on Wednesday. You may want to check out SLC, UT leer prices, because for the price of gas, hotel, a day skiing, and Red Iguana, you could still save some $$$ looking elsewhere for a topper.

I plan on building a low profile sleeping platform and ordering a DAC Midsize Truck Tent. Everything should fit under 7 inches of my sleeping platform in a modular setup with a hinge near the foot of the tailgate that will swing up and add 7 inches to the truck so I can sleep without my feet dangling (6 ft tall, 5 foot bed). Water Container and Cooler should be the only thing that needs to be moved at night time. Camp chairs can stay under the stars/ awning or be stowed back under the sleeping platform.

That is my ideal "self contained" setup. Hard ceiling for rain and 3/4 of the way around closed for bear protection.

The added security of carrying mountain bikes and skis on a regular haul day is worth getting rid of a RTT to me as well.

Really? What are the prices down there like?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well, there's no going back now. Sold my RTT to a friend of mine this morning. Shouldn't be too long to gather up everything I need.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Chasing Rattles - Part 1

I think I finally solved my weird rattle! I got irritated by it on a trip I took this week, so I took my roof rack off to see if that was the problem. Went on a few laps of the neighborhood, and lo and behold, no more chatter! So I tore the rack apart and went about "refurbishing" it.

First of all, my truck looks really silly without the factory roof rack on it.

I laid everything out on the garage floor. Every piece of plastic you see here, with the exception of the center rail, is held on to the tubing with one screw. Yep, just one. So as a result, they are all loose and rattley. I stripped the plastic pieces off the tubing and cleaned it.

I then went to the hardware store and bought these:

I then wrapped around all the bolt holes with this foam tape. I used the thicker stuff for the larger gaps, but mostly I used the thin tape.

Once this all was done, I reassembled the rails, which were significantly tighter this time around. With the screws in place, there is almost no movement, and even if there is, it doesn't make any noise.

Then it's a simple matter of bolting it back to the roof. I cleaned out the area underneath the rack's "feet", since they were very dirty. Then I used Loctite on the threads and tightened everything down. Overall, I'm happy with the result.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'm sure you're checking on the CL, but in case your not...

Nissan Frontier Topper - $950 posted up from Helena. Might be worthwhile if they negotiate on price & would be willing to drive halfway.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

I called up a couple of paint shops this morning and got a quote for painting the topper. $450 has been the best one so far, which made getting the cap from CL feasible. So I called up the guy and negotiated the price down to $800. It's an ARE cap with a ladder rack already installed. That means I can sell my Yak system for around $200, which means the CL find comes in at a cool $1050, or about $500 less than I would have spent on a brand new topper. Plus I can get it sooner and don't have to install a rack. I'm off to pick it up tomorrow. :D

Also, I have decided something on the tent. I was a little concerned with the overall stability of the CVT/Tepui tent, and talking with the companies on the phone didn't do much to help that feeling. So I've opted to bite the bullet and go with the Oztent RV-3. It's a bit bigger than the other tent, and I like the construction and frame design much more. I also like the fabrics they use, as well as the little details like pockets for the guy ropes and awnings for the door and windows. Plus there are reports of original Oztents (circa 1993) still in use today. So I think it's worth the extra cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94