"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

stioc

Expedition Leader
Couldn't agree more, it looks awesome! especially when you see the 265 comparison. Great job!
I measured my ground-clearance at the B-pillar it's 16.75" under the slider. But the measurements vary from 16" to 17" depending on if it's near the A pillar (16), or C pillar (17"). Under the front subframe it's at 13" - just for some reference.

I have ScanGuage II but I haven't been able to figure out a way to adjust anything or even see the A/T temp. Care to share what OBDII reader you got, I may have to look into it. Even though I have an iPhone I also just switched from an iPad running MotionX to Galaxy Tab 4 running BCN so going with the reader you mentioned is very doable.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Awesome setup, I am looking at getting the same size tire but in 17" for my pathfinder. What Bluetooth obdII did you buy? I would love to get one. Also where you about to change the Speedo for the larger tires with the app?

Thanks man! It's a great tire size for this platform.

I bought the really super duper cheap ELM327. Apparently getting a decent one is a bit of a crapshoot, but mine works just fine.

Couldn't agree more, it looks awesome! especially when you see the 265 comparison. Great job!
I measured my ground-clearance at the B-pillar it's 16.75" under the slider. But the measurements vary from 16" to 17" depending on if it's near the A pillar (16), or C pillar (17"). Under the front subframe it's at 13" - just for some reference.

I have ScanGuage II but I haven't been able to figure out a way to adjust anything or even see the A/T temp. Care to share what OBDII reader you got, I may have to look into it. Even though I have an iPhone I also just switched from an iPad running MotionX to Galaxy Tab 4 running BCN so going with the reader you mentioned is very doable.

Thanks man! I love the way it looks now. Everything seems to be in the right proportions.

I'm jealous of your slider clearance. I think there's two factors with mine. First of all, the 2nd gen Frontys just seem to be kinda low. The diff clearance is right in line with where it should be, but the frames seem to be kind of low. Secondly, I think the White Knuckle sliders don't tuck up quite as much. Still though, I'm not too terribly far off of you.

Like I said above, I got the cheap ELM327 reader. It's only got like a 3 star review on Amazon, but I got mine within 3 days and it works, so I've got no complaints.

E.J.

Explorer
Truck is looking awesome on those tires! Not sure if you've see this chart but it should help you figure out how much lift you got from fresh bone stock.
39364d1351138347-trying-something-new-wheel-arch-height-frontier.jpg

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Now it almost looks like an offroad truck :p

looks much better!

Also, there is a "hack"/code you enter on the Scangauge to display the AT temp. Does on my dads and my buddies 1st gen tacoma.

And 12.5'' to the diff eh? Not bad not bad!

No 14.5'' though :D

Glad the new tires don't seem different. Seems like a no brainer to me then. You'll notice a difference on the trail with the ground clearance too...even if its very small..and inch is a mile!

stioc

Expedition Leader
I think it's perfect! but it really comes down to the main intended purpose of the truck. See the comment from Scott here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/145748-overlander-vs-rock-cralwer

I fully agree, while I enjoy a challenge every now and again but my heart is after exploring the back roads, ghost towns, mining sites, roads less traveled. Stacking rocks and spotting people every 2ft of travel gets old pretty fast. Not to mention breaking axles, birfields, tie rods etc. This is ExPo not pirate4x4 afterall :)

I'm planning to take a trip to CO in a few weeks and seriously thought about buying a new set of tires in a smaller less aggressive tread, I don't 'need' the 32" MTs for this upcoming family adventure trip. Lightweight 31" ATs would be more than enough to explore the trails that are on the list. Heck, I've been tempted by the Four Wheel Campers and Camper vans lately...but then again I'm not in my 20s anymore either so I'm thinking more comfort and less breakage lol

Allof75

Pathfinder
I think it's perfect! but it really comes down to the main intended purpose of the truck. See the comment from Scott here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/145748-overlander-vs-rock-cralwer

I fully agree, while I enjoy a challenge every now and again but my heart is after exploring the back roads, ghost towns, mining sites, roads less traveled. Stacking rocks and spotting people every 2ft of travel gets old pretty fast. Not to mention breaking axles, birfields, tie rods etc. This is ExPo not pirate4x4 afterall :)

I'm planning to take a trip to CO in a few weeks and seriously thought about buying a new set of tires in a smaller less aggressive tread, I don't 'need' the 32" MTs for this upcoming family adventure trip. Lightweight 31" ATs would be more than enough to explore the trails that are on the list. Heck, I've been tempted by the Four Wheel Campers and Camper vans lately...but then again I'm not in my 20s anymore either so I'm thinking more comfort and less breakage lol

My modification/trail philosophy is identical to yours, despite being in my 20s. :sombrero: I know how capable my truck is, but the several hours I might spend in a couple mile long rock patch would be often better spent seeing the rest of the area, setting up camp, or hiking I think. That's what attracts me to this forum after all, despite sometimes a Keeping Up with the Joneses mentality. That said an ARB fridge and locker are in the plans for my Alaska trip.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
My modification/trail philosophy is identical to yours, despite being in my 20s. :sombrero: I know how capable my truck is, but the several hours I might spend in a couple mile long rock patch would be often better spent seeing the rest of the area, setting up camp, or hiking I think. That's what attracts me to this forum after all, despite sometimes a Keeping Up with the Joneses mentality. That said an ARB fridge and locker are in the plans for my Alaska trip.

I'm in the same boat. I mistakenly built mine up for indestructability, but now I just want to drive down a trail and camp. I could do half my trips in a Camry because I'm almost 30 and an old man. I need my sittin' and nappin' time.

gophere

Adventurer
Wow those tires look great! I'm going to have to get east one of these weeks to check it out.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Now it almost looks like an offroad truck :p

looks much better!

Also, there is a "hack"/code you enter on the Scangauge to display the AT temp. Does on my dads and my buddies 1st gen tacoma.

And 12.5'' to the diff eh? Not bad not bad!

No 14.5'' though :D

Glad the new tires don't seem different. Seems like a no brainer to me then. You'll notice a difference on the trail with the ground clearance too...even if its very small..and inch is a mile!

Thanks man!

So far no one has given a working code that will display trans temp on a ScanGauge for a Frontier. So that kinda sucks. The Bullydog tuners give trans temp though.

Actually 12.75" under the diff. I'm debating cranking another quarter inch out of the coilovers to get it to 13". :p

I'm in the same boat. I mistakenly built mine up for indestructability, but now I just want to drive down a trail and camp. I could do half my trips in a Camry because I'm almost 30 and an old man. I need my sittin' and nappin' time.

I think I'm with you guys there to a degree. I explore for the views, the history, and the adventure. I really love getting out there and exploring the back roads, but I also love moderate technical trails. Goose Lake is the perfect example. It's mostly just rocky and rough, but there are sections of it that are technical and crawly. I really love that kind of trail. But the best part is where the trail takes me. It gets me farther into the wilderness than most people dare drive. It goes to a lost little corner of creation that is so stunningly beautiful it's difficult to fully comprehend.

If that same trail were picked up and moved to, say, Iowa, where there's nothing to see, then I probably wouldn't care for it. Yeah, the trail and the wheeling are really fun, but what they travel through and where they go is why I do it. I'm never gonna be a hardcore rock crawler. I really enjoy terrain that necessitates 4lo and technical driving. But only if it takes me somewhere that will stick with me.

Wow those tires look great! I'm going to have to get east one of these weeks to check it out.

Thanks man! I'll let you know next time I plan on heading up north. My folks live in Seeley, so I imagine that's not far from you.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I think I'm with you guys there to a degree. I explore for the views, the history, and the adventure. I really love getting out there and exploring the back roads, but I also love moderate technical trails. Goose Lake is the perfect example. It's mostly just rocky and rough, but there are sections of it that are technical and crawly. I really love that kind of trail. But the best part is where the trail takes me. It gets me farther into the wilderness than most people dare drive. It goes to a lost little corner of creation that is so stunningly beautiful it's difficult to fully comprehend.

If that same trail were picked up and moved to, say, Iowa, where there's nothing to see, then I probably wouldn't care for it. Yeah, the trail and the wheeling are really fun, but what they travel through and where they go is why I do it. I'm never gonna be a hardcore rock crawler. I really enjoy terrain that necessitates 4lo and technical driving. But only if it takes me somewhere that will stick with me.

Now that I can understand. I guess if we were all just the light trail to camp types, we'd just have VW Buses. ;) Not that a fully loaded syncro looks bad, I love them personally.

But anyway, truck looks great, and I'm glad you're getting to use it. I'm realizing that having all the capability and handling of a Pro-4x Xterra but with a truck bed is a really cool thing. 13" at the diff isn't bad at all, at least if you were around here, you could get just about anywhere.

gophere

Adventurer
13 at the diff is awsome I'm at like 9!

I'm in the same boat as far as taking the road to get somewhere not just to see if I can make it.
Got into it with a guy the other day. He said "OH sweet truck! You take that thing OffRoad?" I said, "nope. Don't go offroading." He goes on to say" Mall crusier" and "it probably wouldn't make it."

So i showed him a typical road I drive like this and he shut up.
f2062b945b4328700c8a43fd4c33b95d.jpg

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Now that I can understand. I guess if we were all just the light trail to camp types, we'd just have VW Buses. ;) Not that a fully loaded syncro looks bad, I love them personally.

But anyway, truck looks great, and I'm glad you're getting to use it. I'm realizing that having all the capability and handling of a Pro-4x Xterra but with a truck bed is a really cool thing. 13" at the diff isn't bad at all, at least if you were around here, you could get just about anywhere.

Haha I love those vans too!

Thanks man! I'm happy I get the opportunity to stretch her legs a bit. Lola takes me to some really beautiful and interesting places, that is for sure.

Yeah I've come to the conclusion that I will run out of ability as a driver before Lola runs out of the ability to drive over something. But it's become the perfect platform for long distance travel. Comfortable, quiet, decent mileage, tough, reliable, capable, small enough to be easy to drive, big enough to hold everything, and great looking. What's not to like? :D

But seriously, it's a great truck and I love it to death. I still walk out of stores staring at it and think, "Holy crap. That thing is MINE."

13 at the diff is awsome I'm at like 9!

I'm in the same boat as far as taking the road to get somewhere not just to see if I can make it.
Got into it with a guy the other day. He said "OH sweet truck! You take that thing OffRoad?" I said, "nope. Don't go offroading." He goes on to say" Mall crusier" and "it probably wouldn't make it."

So i showed him a typical road I drive like this and he shut up.

That is 13" under the front diff, not the rear. Still pretty good though I think!

Haha I get those people talking to me about my truck all the time. They always ask, "you go offroad with it?" I just stay quiet and show pictures. :D

stioc

Expedition Leader
How's the get-up and go and braking with the bigger tires now that you've had some time to feel them out?

Also I realized how crappy the crawl ratio on the R50 Pathfinders is (and probably the early Frontiers/Xterras too) 2.785x2.02x4.363=24.55:1 vs. 33-ish being the avg for most automatic 2nd gen Frontiers/Xterras which is more inline with other similar 4x4s like the 4Runners, FJs etc. Although in 4-Lo it crawls over just about anything...I can only imagine how much better the higher crawl ratio vehicles must be and the Rubicons with their 4:1 transfer case pushing 73:1 crawl ratio!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior