"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Very nice!

Thanks man!

How's the get-up and go and braking with the bigger tires now that you've had some time to feel them out?

Also I realized how crappy the crawl ratio on the R50 Pathfinders is (and probably the early Frontiers/Xterras too) 2.785x2.02x4.363=24.55:1 vs. 33-ish being the avg for most automatic 2nd gen Frontiers/Xterras which is more inline with other similar 4x4s like the 4Runners, FJs etc. Although in 4-Lo it crawls over just about anything...I can only imagine how much better the higher crawl ratio vehicles must be and the Rubicons with their 4:1 transfer case pushing 73:1 crawl ratio!

It is absolutely the same, can't feel much difference at all. The handling is a tiny bit more "squishy" on the highway, but it's just about imperceptible. The upside is the taller sidewall seems to be soaking up bumps better too. I'm still stoked about how cool it looks! :D

Haha yeah I really love 4lo, first gear in my truck. Just aim down the hill. You have time to read a book before any nasty obstacles show up. :D I remember my first gen wasn't nearly as nice, even with a 4.63 rear end.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Got some cool stuff done today, but first an introduction!

Ladies and gents, meet the Indel-B TB51 Travel Box fridge. This 50l fridge uses the same Danfoss compressor that is used in a lot of the higher end fridges. It's nice and light for a fridge, and the perfect size. I am so ready to say goodbye to the constant worries of ice. I'm really excited to get this bad boy out into the mountains.

I really like the layout and design of the control panel. It's easy to work with and easy to figure out.

I love the built-in low voltage cutoff switch where you can pick just how low you want to be able to drain the battery. I also like that it has the fuse built in. That means I don't have to worry about having it built into the wiring.

Did I mention it's ENORMOUS? From looking at it and considering that ice won't be using up any space, I can easily imagine storing 10 days worth of food in here. I love it. The removable basket is a nice feature for being able to see everything without digging, and it's got a separate section for fruits and veggies. Oh, and the built-in light!

I am so excited about it! Today I got the wiring sorted out. I drilled a small hole in the bed and put a grommet in the hole. I used a flat two pin trailer plug as a connector. I don't like the idea of using a cigarette lighter style socket, as they don't seem to get snug enough and the connection is not the most efficient electrical connection ever. The flat trailer plug is really solid and connects well.

I also tackled another wiring project today. I picked up this little beauty for $19 (sometimes it pays to work at an electronics store!). This 175W inverter has two 110v outlets and a USB outlet. I used a couple pieces of double sided tape to secure it to the center console, then I tackled the wiring. It's a pretty easy job to do, I just hard-wired the cord into my existing accessory wiring since I've seen the factory cigarette lighter plug wiring, and I don't think it's up to the task. Now I have a permanently fixed place to charge my laptop and camera batteries! :D

Got my extended brake lines installed as well. They can handle a lot more travel, and the stainless braid is really tough.

And I got these beauties installed today! A set of PRG Bilstein 5125s, in the 2-3" lift variety. The ride is really nice, and now I've got more travel. About 2 more inches actually.

Oh, and the one other little long-term project I'm working on. Every time I go somewhere or buy something, I get a sticker. I have a drawer full of stickers that I'll probably never put on the back of my truck because I like the clean look too much to clutter up the back windows. So instead, I'm going to try adding stickers to the fridge and buy patches instead. Don't have many... yet. :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Cool updates! You might consider a transit bag to help keep the fridge clean/scuff-free and it's lined with a soft-cooler type material for insulation too. What's the inverter for? Almost all small electronics these days are USB based and I prefer to use those because the inverters use up more power than the straight USB plugs but good to have in case you use a laptop or something.

When's the next outing? would love to see more MT country, I might even visit next year...I want to go meet Rich Lewis, he drives a 1956 Jeep that's a good enough reason alone lol http://www.history.com/shows/mountain-men/cast/rich-lewis

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Cool updates! You might consider a transit bag to help keep the fridge clean/scuff-free and it's lined with a soft-cooler type material for insulation too. What's the inverter for? Almost all small electronics these days are USB based and I prefer to use those because the inverters use up more power than the straight USB plugs but good to have in case you use a laptop or something.

When's the next outing? would love to see more MT country, I might even visit next year...I want to go meet Rich Lewis, he drives a 1956 Jeep that's a good enough reason alone lol http://www.history.com/shows/mountain-men/cast/rich-lewis

I've looked at getting a transit bag. As I recall, the Dometic bags fit the Indel B fridges I think. I'll probably do that at some point.

The inverter is for my laptop and camera batteries. I've realized I'm going to be gone on trips long enough in the near future that I'd like to be able to offload and edit photos on the road. My 17" laptop is not exactly efficient, so being able to charge it is a must.

Next trip is August 10. Watch the first ever episode of Expedition Overland, we're doing that trail and climbing that exact mountain. My fiancee used to work at a youth camp near there and I've spent many summers running up and down those roads, so we know the area really well. Should be fun, my friend is just getting into overlanding and he's taking a fairly modified Subaru Baja up that trail. Then on the 17th I'm doing a full scale 10 day overland trip. Starting by driving up to Glacier NP, then crossing the border to Waterton Lakes, then Banff NP and Mt. Assiniboine, then back down to Coleman/Crowsnest Pass to do some wheeling with a local Xterra group, then taking a real dirt overland route from Crowsnest to Jasper. Exploring Jasper for a few days, then it's back home via the Icefields Parkway. My friend in the Subaru will be on that trip as well.

Hence the last minute small details. :) There was no way I was doing that trip without a working fridge.

Oh, if you do visit next year, let me know. I'll show you all the best spots. Just make sure to do it in like mid August or early ish July. I'm getting married July 23rd. :D

big a

Adventurer
Congrats on the date!!!

Wow, sounds like a great overland trip!!! I'll be looking forward to pics!!!

-Andy

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Congrats on the date!!!

Wow, sounds like a great overland trip!!! I'll be looking forward to pics!!!

-Andy

Thanks man!

Yeah, Canada will be a true adventure for sure. I am giddy with excitement over it. All my prep for it is coming together.

Congrats buddy!

I like the fridge, I have the 41 L version, ice cold!

Thanks Mike!

Yeah I haven't had a chance to test it much... yet. We will be doing our first camping/wheeling trip with it on the 10th. Should be a blast.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
In other news, I have to do a minor little repair on Lola. The driver's door lock actuator has failed and will now only lock the door when electronically prompted. It won't unlock, just lock. Should be a simple and inexpensive fix. Oh, and afterwards I'll finally be getting around to installing my oil pan skidplate.

Other than that, just going to be checking fluids and making sure everything is greased before Canada.

Stokelyvancamp

Exciting times, congratulations. Nice additions on the truck, sounds like a great trip, and right in my backyard. What route are you planning for CNP to Jasper? Are you referring to the Forestry Trunk Road? If so, that's some really great terrain. Some nice little camp spots and side trips. let me know if you want any info or have any questions.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Exciting times, congratulations. Nice additions on the truck, sounds like a great trip, and right in my backyard. What route are you planning for CNP to Jasper? Are you referring to the Forestry Trunk Road? If so, that's some really great terrain. Some nice little camp spots and side trips. let me know if you want any info or have any questions.

Thanks man! Yep, I'm doing most of the Trunk Road from Coleman. Might even go all the way to Grande Prairie. Got any good advice? I'm open to all help I can get.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Thanks man! Yep, I'm doing most of the Trunk Road from Coleman. Might even go all the way to Grande Prairie. Got any good advice? I'm open to all help I can get.
Keep your windows rolled up and fan on high to keep the dust out!

Have a great trip!

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

RedF

Adventurer
Were you south of Big Timber on Wednesday? Pretty sure I crossed paths with you at about 3 pm, as you were heading into the park, we were heading out.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Keep your windows rolled up and fan on high to keep the dust out!

Have a great trip!

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Haha will do. Should be an absolute blast. Just got one of those Backroads Mapbooks for the trip.

Were you south of Big Timber on Wednesday? Pretty sure I crossed paths with you at about 3 pm, as you were heading into the park, we were heading out.

Hahaha yes and no. You crossed paths with Lola, but not me.

I'm currently down in Houston, getting my brother settled into his new apartment. Meanwhile, my fiancee is having a staff reunion at the youth camp she used to work at south of Big Timber. Since the road can get rough and she has a '14 Focus, she took my truck down there and picked up some other people in the process. I am told everyone was green with envy :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior