Biggs Family LR 3

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
image.jpg
Well we just bought an LR3 tonight. 2006 SE Chawton white and alpaca interior with 60,000 miles. Nav, heated seats all the bells you can get on the SE with a third row delete. We will pick it up next Monday. I'll post more pictures then.

Next week I'll be ordering the Gap tool and seeing what all extra matnance it need. Once that's all done will be geting an ARB front bumper, Warn winch, 265/65R 18 BFG KO's or Toyo. I'm going to try to work an Spod into the mix too. Then in the spring next year arb lockers and a front runner roof rack. I would also like to find some aluminum rock sliders.

Well here we go again!

Nate

spikemd

Explorer
Nice. Welcome to LR ownership, based on your username. The LR3 is a great truck with lots of offroad options now. Keep up with the maintenance and it is a very rewarding vehicle to drive.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Oh this Will be my second Land Rover. I had a 99 Disco 1 a while back and loved that truck!

546744_3787147071509_970951907_n.jpg

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Observer
Congratulations - great looking LR3!!!

As we were chatting about via PM, the list can just keep growing. You mentioned 265/65R18 tires - BFGs vs. Toyos, both are awesome tires, just be aware that I chose the BFGs because of the E load rating since my LR4 has a lot of extra weight. The Toyo Open Country II ATs are awesome tires, but I feel the BFGs do a bit better once you start adding weight to your LR3/4. As I mentioned, these are about the beefiest you can get without running extended height all the time or doing trimming.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Thanks I know in the next two weeks or so I'll be looking at an ARB front bumper, GAP tool, and a winch. Hate to say it but so far 4wheel parts has had the best price next to 4x4groupbuy.

Finlayforprez

Observer
Thanks I know in the next two weeks or so I'll be looking at an ARB front bumper, GAP tool, and a winch. Hate to say it but so far 4wheel parts has had the best price next to 4x4groupbuy.

I also found 4 Wheel Parts to have good prices, and the thing I like about them for the front ARB bumper is that they keep it in the big box. I got a great deal on my ARB front bumper from CarID, but man it came out of the big box, all wrapped up, with NO mounting hardware at all. I was really mad, but they sent the hardware/mounting kit box via next day air. If you order from 4 Wheel Parts they will get it right from an ARB distribution center and it will come in the big box. Plus, they will inspect it upon delivery, which is very important. if there are any nicks or issues with the bumper it has to be rejected right there and sent back with the freight truck.

I ended up getting a big gift card from CarID, but man I knew I should have ordered through 4 Wheel Parts!

As for the winch, just a note, the ARB seems to work best with Warn winches, as I know some folks have not been able to rotate it enough to be actually be able to reach in there and release it. It is a royal pain the butt to fit the winch, took us about 2-3 hours, but the ARB definitely is made to fit the Warn best. I know two folks who had problems with other winch brands, they fit, but the winch could not easily be released for unrolling.

unseenone

Explorer

I'm not selling ARB Bumpers, just offered to help. I suggest you give british4x4outfitters or lucky8llc an opportunity to beat the price. B4x4 is in San Antonio.

Now here's why I won't be spending a dime in 4wheel parts anymore. I bought a set of Nitto's from them, 2 years now, paid extra for all the road hazard, etc. Went down twice to get them rotated, they were always too busy. I have three nails pop up in one tire, they first quoted me 30 per hole to fix it. When I informed them I had road hazard, which they already knew, as they had my info on the screen, he asked me how next Monday would be. This was on a Thursday. As a result, I went a bought a new set of tires at http://discounttire.com/ I wish they had the nitrogen fills, but I know that where ever I go they have locations all over, and immediate service when you pop in, and if they don't they will reimburse you. It will be a cold day in TX before I spend another dime there.

On the GAP tool, I think lucky8 sells them, not sure about b4x4.

The winch, I would probably buy from B4x4 if they can meet the price, or online. I have a winch, probably can help you with the install on that. You probably want a 2nd battery if you're doing a winch. You might consider a sidewinder for the controller for that. I've got one you can look at, I ordered a couple from Australia.

Great prices are great, but no point in buying local if you're being treated as if you are in Alaska. You buy local for service, support, etc. If you can't fix a flat for 3-4 days, what else can't you do.

On the winch line, I'd suggest 80' or so of Superline from Masterpull another board sponsor, and there is a 10% discount for board members. You can order it up with rock protector, heat protector, and custom hook, etc. http://www.masterpull.com/5-16-superline-winch-line-21-700-lbs/ Happy to send you the contact info I have from when I ordered. They were very friendly and helpful, and I did most of it over the phone.

You'll probably want at least one ARB 9000 Snatch block.

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
I agree on trying B4x4. They are good people and have given me really good prices on my sliders and winch. Plus it's nice that they are fairly local to you.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Thanks for the advice on British 4x4 outfitters I do like to keep things local when I can.

Right now I finding my self torn. I really think I will stay with the 265/66 r18's, however the more I look at the Overland Journal LR4 I really want 32's

I know really it would be more stressful on the system but man the OJ LR4 looks good!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
unseenone,
I pick up the truck on monday so maybe we could meet for coffee later in the week!

en480c4

Observer
I look forward to seeing your impressions on the switch. I've long been a Jeep guy, and my 2012 JKU with a bunch of AEV gear will be gone next week. The right LR3 is high on the list for us, so I'll definitely be paying attention to you having just made the exact same change. Best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier