2006 1st-Gen Tundra Doublecab Build

FJR Colorado

Explorer
How is the rack installed? Looks good. I like it

Ultimately it is held on with lots of these...

s3fx9g.jpg

I have very strong 1/4" x 1.5" x 2.0" x 83" components as the main rails. They are stainless steel U-bolted with lock nuts to each of the 3x cross members. This serves to distribute the rigidity. It seems very strong. The first 200 mile journey revealed no points of weakness.

I used neoprene washers on all of the screws which lag into the aluminum sub-frame. I also used marine grade silicon caulk for all the screws on the top of the roof.

Thanks for the comment!

I'm lovin' this set-up. Having the fridge is just great.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Wind Fairing

Another thing I'd like to do is create a wind fairing. Even though it is very low-profile, I think a fairing would streamline it and provide a degree of protection for the solar panel...

2d1vlsz.jpg

I actually ordered and had shipped a Rhino Rack fairing that I though would work. I attached a 1" piece of aluminum square tubing up front to facilitate the mounting. But the Rhino Rack fairing proved unsuitable (flimsy; only good for perfectly flat roofs). I'd like to hear some thoughts on what would work.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice looking truck... IMO the best looking Tundra by far and I think they STILL look really great in the sea of more "modern" styled pickups these days. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just have bought one myself. Does that have the "old" Hi-Trac IFS up front, like basically a "100-series pickup" as it were or is it the "Taco Style" R&P/Coil-over IFS??? It's been awhile since I was in/under one. A buddy in my original W-EMT class back in the day had one just like that and we put a LOT of miles on it in a single month of hauling students 2 hours out to Fresno UMC, out to remote sites and into Yosemite to go climbing/exploring. VERY comfortable chassis/power-train for putting the mile behind you and getting to hard to reach camp sites aye.

Best to ya and enjoy the great truck you've got yourself there.

Cheers

Dave

Edit: On a side note, how do you like the Rhino Rack??? I'm looking for something similar for my build and I've come across them and thought they look like a good piece of kit aye. Any feedback on quality/durability would be awesome cause I haven't heard much about them. The only other thing I've found that I like is a Front Runner but I'd have to do some home-brew mods to fit it to the 2nd Gen Roof Rack channels where the Rhino appears to be a bit more "universal" in it's applications depending on the model.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Nice looking truck... IMO the best looking Tundra by far and I think they STILL look really great in the sea of more "modern" styled pickups these days. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just have bought one myself. Does that have the "old" Hi-Trac IFS up front, like basically a "100-series pickup" as it were or is it the "Taco Style" R&P/Coil-over IFS??? It's been awhile since I was in/under one. A buddy in my original W-EMT class back in the day had one just like that and we put a LOT of miles on it in a single month of hauling students 2 hours out to Fresno UMC, out to remote sites and into Yosemite to go climbing/exploring. VERY comfortable chassis/power-train for putting the mile behind you and getting to hard to reach camp sites aye.

Best to ya and enjoy the great truck you've got yourself there.

Cheers

Dave

Edit: On a side note, how do you like the Rhino Rack??? I'm looking for something similar for my build and I've come across them and thought they look like a good piece of kit aye. Any feedback on quality/durability would be awesome cause I haven't heard much about them. The only other thing I've found that I like is a Front Runner but I'd have to do some home-brew mods to fit it to the 2nd Gen Roof Rack channels where the Rhino appears to be a bit more "universal" in it's applications depending on the model.

Thanks Dave and heartily agreed.

I think it has the Taco-style IFS. Not sure.

It sure has proven to be a great touring vehicle thus far.

I off-roaded it briefly for the first time the other day. Very interesting with the long wheel base. Quite good surprisingly in some ways. The turning radius is something to manage though. And I'd hate to have to do any hairy passing on a shelf road in it.

Don't know about Rhino Rack. I only bought the wind fairing which looked promising but has not panned out.

m3bassman

Observer
Did i miss the post with the information on the solar panrl you used? im really interested in a similar setup and wasnt sure how large a panel was required to run a fridge at a minimum. great rig btw!

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Did i miss the post with the information on the solar panrl you used? im really interested in a similar setup and wasnt sure how large a panel was required to run a fridge at a minimum. great rig btw!

That is the Renogy 100W panel. I got a great bundled deal for the panel and controller on Amazon.

It has performed superbly and seems to be built very ruggedly. It survived a weekend hail storm no problem.

It has kept the Yellow Top fully-charged and the ARB fridge running for several weeks now without a single problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles