'86 Comanche Long bed, Slow build...

zetabird

looks good. a heck of a lot better than mine, gonna have to do alot of work on the bottom of my tail gate and bed rails before i build my bed rack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Prop valve swap was so much easier than I expected... All the threads were correct, so it was a matter of just removing all the brake lines and putting the new prop valve where the old one was. (And since this is a western truck, there was zero of the rust problem that I anticipated....)
Toughest part was filing off the smash that held the new prop valve to a bracket, since the original didn't use a bracket, and it didn't line up anyway.

Fixed the rear taillight wiring this morning, which some hack had used scotch locks on for trailer wiring... Used heat shrink connectors after I cut an inch out where the scotch locks were, then found more trailer wiring hack at the back, so just replaced the stop and tail wires for the last couple of feet. Used Green/Yellow/Brown so when i want to put a trailer connector on, I won't question which wire is which. Factory wires were strange colors... :)

Wife helped me line up the bed and drop it on this afternoon. Took a bit to get the bolts lined up, but mostly because I forgot about the tube that goes to the tire winch, which I was supposed to poke through the back "skirt" of the box... Figured that out after I had all the bolts tightened down, so I just pulled off the winch to get it free. (This no rust thing is awesome!!) Painted the tube and put it all back in the right way. All electrical hooked up and working, and got the fuel tank mounted with the proper straps too, though I could only find two of the three tank straps. (I only recall removing two, actually, but there's evidence that there was indeed a 3rd at one time... The middle one is currently MIA...)

This evening I picked up a brake line connector for the rear, to replace the T that once went to the extra line that I pulled. I'll have the brakes bled tomorrow evening, and it'll be time for a maiden (?) voyage!!
Oh, and I splurged and bought it a new IAC and TPS tonight too. It has a very pronounced hesitation right off idle when it gets to closed loop, so I'm hoping it's one of the two... I know the IAC is sticky because the idle hunts sometimes.

I'll get a picture of the truck tomorrow... And add a picture of dropping on the box.
Should have taken a picture of my wife napping on the front seat today while I was under the truck bolting things back on... She likes the bench seat I guess! :)

Last edited:

zetabird

mine is for the most part rust free underneath minus the leaking roof destroying the pans but the box is pretty bad around the wheel wells and along the top of th rails. tho i lucked out on comanche club and got a stainless gate handle so that atleast works lol

gehrcke

Time for pics of the "finished" product!!!

When you coming back this spring? I'll prep the WK so you can paint the door and tailgate for me.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Shoot, I didn't realize how far behind this thread is... Here are some pictures of the truck. Wife has been driving it for a few months now!!

And my favorite comparison as of late, the Comanche concept from Jeep... Evidently I was on to something... :)
jeep-comanche-concep-3_800x0w.jpg

I will NOT be painting the tow hooks red, and we will probably paint the wheels body color soon, since that seems to be the trademark feature of all my vehicles...

I'm currently building it a rear bumper from 2x6 tube. I at least took a few pictures of the process... I'll post them sooner, or later. :)
I also have some 1.5" tubing to make a bed rack out of. That'll be a mount for our CVT RTT, and covered with Sunbrella, shelter for the dogs and camping gear. :)

With almost two full tanks of fuel through it now, it's proving to be a good truck. I have found a few issues that need sorting still, like the speed sensor, which tells the ECM that it's doing 110mph when it's really going about 62mph. Fuel cutoff at 62mph is a little early... :) Easy fix to find a sensor with half as many pulses per revolution. I think I used an 8ppr sensor, so a 4ppr sensor is what I need. (Think...)
The clutch is still fairly soft, and disengages right near the floor. I think I need a bushing where the rod attaches to the pedal. I bought it a new MC, but haven't put it in yet... It didn't come with the bushing I need anyway...
I also replaced a non-working 27x sensor behind the damper, and the damper too, as the ring was walking off. Then discovered that the sensor is fine, and it's just too far from the tone ring in the damper. (Now it has a fit when I step on the clutch and the crank moves forward a tiny bit and it looses signal...) I unplugged it so it doesn't cause issues, but I need to take the damper and sensor back off and space it out with a few washers... Engine runs OK without it for now... :)

Oh, and I bought it parking brake cables and brake cylinders for the rear, which I need to install next... I'm sure I'll then discover that the parking brake pedal self-releases, as I think that was an issue around '86...

None of that keeps us from driving it, so it's getting miles. I'd estimate that with the wife running it 3 miles across down on every startup, it's getting ~15mpg. And the 3.4L is fairly torquey... it actually drivers really nice, and has gobs of idle stability and torque. It also scoots if you boot it! :)

Last edited:

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
That turned out spectacular! The color, ride height, wheels tires, it just works. I you don't mind me asking, what are the steel wheels from? Are they 16's? What size tires? Again, really nice job

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
it actually drivers really nice, and has gobs of idle stability and torque. It also scoots if you boot it! :)
The light weight part is awesome. I test drove a 5 speed 4L when I lived in Hancock- positively FLEW, and even with slightly less power, I'm sure this goes great.

snekvasil

Adventurer
I love this truck...can't wait to see the wheels in the same tan if you go that route. Keep posting pics!!!

1stDeuce

Explorer
That turned out spectacular! The color, ride height, wheels tires, it just works. I you don't mind me asking, what are the steel wheels from? Are they 16's? What size tires? Again, really nice job

Thanks! The wheels are 16x6 steel wheels off a mil spec YJ. The tires are 235/85's. I used to have 215/85R16 Goodyear MT's on these wheels on an old XJ, and they worked awesome. The 235's still look a little big for the tiny truck, but they don't seem to rub... :)

The light weight part is awesome. I test drove a 5 speed 4L when I lived in Hancock- positively FLEW, and even with slightly less power, I'm sure this goes great.

Depending what year 4.0L you drove, this truck might have the same power, and less weight. :) Early 4.0L's were 165hp and that's what the 3.4L makes. Plus it's about 100lbs lighter. I'm pretty happy with it, considering how much work wedging in a 4.0L would have been...

I love this truck...can't wait to see the wheels in the same tan if you go that route. Keep posting pics!!!

Thanks! I'll get them painted as soon as the bumper is done. You know how much I love what you're doing with your truck!! I'm looking for another one like it here in NM. :)

Last edited:

AZJim

Observer
That looks great. Good to see it up and running, you had a major project going. What's next doing an extended cab Comanche? My brother and father both bought new '87s. Loved them just found it hard to get comfortable, I always wanted the seat to move back further. One had buckets and the other bench and they both felt the same.
If I remember correctly, wasn't the firewall modified in '87 to allow room for the long 4.0.

Jim

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup. Another reason I went with a bolt-in v6.

I'm 6', and fairly comfortable but any taller would be an issue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles