Cool program that shows HELLA's Lgihts and compares them

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Here is hella's own light tester. You get a measurement scale, zoom and light spread diagram. plus an on off switch. results are very suprising, for the supposedly crappiest light ever, my good ole 500s driving beams put up some great numbers according to hella, yes I know they make them, but its comparing hella lights only, not other competitors lights. the 500s get down the road further than most other lights in their line up. Right in line with my experiences with the light, not tested with meters etc, tested with your eyes, the thing that acutally uses the lights output.....made better by the HID system install as well. 500 FFs work great for a wider beam but down get down the road as far. a lot of their pencil beams are long but not wide, the 500, is the perfect combination of both, even as a budget light it kicks ***.

http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/eliver_US-Version/index.html

chet6.7

Explorer
That is nice,I wish they would include all of their lights.I would like to see the difference between 700's and 1000's.

kojackJKU

The difference between the 700s and 1000s is the 700s are FF reflector design, and produce a wider beam, the 1000's are more of a driving beam and produce a longer beam. you can compare the 500 driving light to the 500ff in the program to see what im talking about. that would be a close representation.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I don't find it all that accurate from my tests and observations.
Looks more like a piece of marketing material than a useful comparison "tool".

kojackJKU

remember, tests in a lab with equipment don't mean a roll of beans, turn on the lights and look at what you have. and what they show on that for the 500s is exactly what I observe with mine! And the 500FF is exactly what I observe too. Im going by turning a light on in the night on a long straight road and LOOKING. Not turning a light on and jumping out in front of it with a "this or that" meter.

It would be a marketing tool if they were comparing other manufacturers lights and theirs. Considering the good ole 500 puts light down the road as good as and better than most of their flagship lights.

Its a great tool to compare HELLA's available lights.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
remember, tests in a lab with equipment don't mean a roll of beans, ...
I know. Science is silly. You can't accurately measure anything. Your eyes never lie or mislead you.
[/sarcasm.off]

Light can certainly be measured. And is.
This web ap is a toy.

kojackJKU

well, actually it shows pretty well what you will get out of hellas. And im totally messing with you. but, not really science has been proven wrong before. well, theory and procedure. I don't buy the 7 days bull crap...

LR Max

Local Oaf
According to this program, the Hella 500ff puts out the same light as a hella 4000 on a country road.

Yeah that doesn't sound right...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
According to this program, the Hella 500ff puts out the same light as a hella 4000 on a country road.

Yeah that doesn't sound right...
Comical really.
I've measured the light from a set of 4000 Rallye Euros ---- more LUX at 100m than an average lowbeam at 8m. And it's a consistent LUX across the arc.
The 500ff isn't a bad light for the money but it doesn't come close to the 4000.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I guess that is what I was getting at. Considering they are A LOT more expensive, I would assume the 4000 would be a better light.

Their little "tool" doesn't show the 4000 to be better than the 500ff.

That said, one of these days I just need to run a set of 500s. I've never used them. I could put them on my DD and they would get used.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I guess that is what I was getting at. Considering they are A LOT more expensive, I would assume the 4000 would be a better light.

Their little "tool" doesn't show the 4000 to be better than the 500ff.

That said, one of these days I just need to run a set of 500s. I've never used them. I could put them on my DD and they would get used.
500s are a halfway decent adjunct to a set of good highbeams on vehicle that goes pretty fast on straight highways. They reach far but their light pattern has a hot-spot that's right in the middle and not too wide. The light falls off dramatically from there.
The 4000s are a more even spread of light without anything too hot anywhere.
I had 500s; I gave them away.

But, then again, I've given away lots and lots of lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior