Storing tie down straps and the like

biere

Observer
Old tool case, I have several where someone had a tool die or the tool got stolen but the case was left behind. Like a dewalt cordless drill or something.

I buy straps I like, I do have a couple different sizes but I mostly tend to pack a case with some specific stuff, like one type smallish and a couple big ones for just in case.

This way it does not matter which strap and ratchet I grab as long as I watch the sizes if mixed. I do have some that are close in size and same color, but different enough in width to be a pain to feed into the ratchet.

I just roll the straps up and pack the case full, the dividers work to hold things in place as needed if I just need one or two ratchet straps.

Rubber bands sort of worked, I was only soso on keeping them around when not in use and I had everything in a small gym bag and now and then things got tangled.

I keep some spare hooks, rope, 550 cord, and similar stuff in the case as well.

If you size it right the ratchets can be used with all sorts of stuff, just watch the working load.

That and sometimes a rope is good enough while a ratchet strap is not needed or I ran out.

I tend to pack solid cases and then have soft cases to fill gaps and keep solid cases from banging on each other.

srschick

Adventurer
I absconded with a few of the wife's pony-tail bands. thicker/sturdier than a rubber band, and bright colored so not to lose them.

I just keep them around the strap when in use, and wrap them around the rolled up strap when needed.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I absconded with a few of the wife's pony-tail bands. thicker/sturdier than a rubber band, and bright colored so not to lose them.

I just keep them around the strap when in use, and wrap them around the rolled up strap when needed.

that is genius.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Harbor Freight boxes, $6 each I think?

I keep 2 of these under my rear seats. One holds 5 sets of light duty straps. They other holds 4 sets of medium duty.

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

xcabo

A cheap and easy solution...

After some years looking for a solution to keep the straps untangled I've been using this on all of my straps...

I bought a roll of velcro two sides and cut on some inches enought lenght to cover the all strap rolled and sewed with the help of a Speedy Stitcher Kit...

Then roll it into itself...

And just wrap it with the velcro strip.

Once wrapped it, I just drop them wherever without worries of tangling them...

You can wrap the velcro on reverse way so you can "velcroed" with another strap and keep them together (like the right pair of red straps on pix), even when the velcro is on one way it can be "velcroed" to floor carpet and keep them "tied" to carpet.

Cheers

Scoutman

Explorer
I had also used my wife's hair ties for various cord managements too. While wandering around Target with her today in the hair ties isle I saw these and bought a pack for myself so I'd stop stealing hers. They're not fabric coated like some are and are claimed to be 'virtually unbreakable'. They are a silicone rubber and store nicely on the gearshifter of the truck so I'll always have some around. :sombrero:

hairties.jpg

drsmonkey

Observer
I do not like to rely on other gear if I do not need to such as zip ties and elastics and do not enjoy the time consumption in rolling my ratchet straps.

I usually keep folding the strap in half on itself until it is about two feet in length or so ensuring the webbing is stacked on itself neatly. I then tie the piled webbing in a "not too tight" over-hand knot. Next I chuck it in the corner of my vehicle along with the other racket straps. They can bounce around and never come undone or tanged, and when they are needed they are always easy to grab, untie, and use.

This...I deal with long stringy webby things multiple times a day, every day. Cords, straps, whatever. Anything under 20' gets doubled and knotted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior