Storing tie down straps and the like

MattL

Adventurer
Those are the exact ratchets I use, except I kept the hook on the ratchet and didn't mount them. Just press the red button, let them roll themselves up, and toss them in the tool drawer... well worth the marginal extra cost.

$20, and Prime-able: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OFWVM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link! I just received 2 sets of these and they are so much more simple than regular ones. The self rolling is a great design!

Wildcat

Adventurer
another vote for roll them up and wrap em in velcro. i buy the big roles of velcro that has hook on one side and loop on the other. velcro is better than duck tape imo. its reusable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made this bag a few years ago. Its a pants leg and a compression strap. The top just rolls down and you cinch the strap, like sealine bags. All my canoe tie downs and hammock straps are in there.

I cant sew, its all glued up with 6000, had no idea it would hold up this long. The glue is flexible and very durable. Craft stores sell it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406413462631.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406413462631.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 94

vati kaki

Observer
37b22794ff72580309464981effd88d2.jpg
d704d7596807339db21a666f9ea048ba.jpg

brought this one back from south africa

rayra

Expedition Leader
Same way I organize the meats in my chest freezer, using the reusable grocery bags being foisted upon us. Good volume, good handles, doesn't get brittle at freezing temps. Plus I do the loop and self-cinch method described above. Together they make a very malleable bundle that can be stuffed in odd-shaped spaces. Adding small bits to lose or a rigid bulky container for such things takes up room.

MattR

Any garden centre should have Velcro ties for attaching plants to stakes, put alternatively use the one designed for keeping computer cables tidy. Attach the Velcro to the hook on your strap, roll the strap up and then wrap the Velcro to stop it unraveling. Then you can chuck them into whatever storage you want, same as any other item.

millerfish

Adventurer
Roll them up maybe put a rubber band around if I have one. Then they go one each in a heavy duty Zip-Loc bag. Keeps them dry, clean and untangled....

super04duty

Observer
I just roll mine up, and keep them all in a nylon stuff sack, like one would us for a sleeping bag. (tho I carry quite a few tie downs, probably more than I really need)

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I just roll mine up individually held together with fishing rod straps (basically mini bungee chords with a friction clip to hold it tight - if you can find the heavy tackle ones they're large enough to hold something about 4" in diameter, and they're super cheap for a pack of 5) and in a small soft tool bag inside of my larger toolbag under my false floor. I don't need them very often, so I don't need them to be readily accessible. I really only use the straps for my paddle board and the odd time I need to transport a ladder on my roof rack or something. Also in the small soft tool bag are my tow straps and shackles.

Scoutman

Explorer
For those who roll and wrap... You can get these bungee balls in packs of 8 that are typically used for attaching a tarp canopy to a pole frame. They make great ratchet strap holders for just about any size. I use them on my heavy 2" trailer straps as well as my 1" cargo straps. I also have an assortment of rubber bungees and I'll fold the bundle of them in half and wrap one of these around them to keep them from getting tangled too.

IMG_20150418_134520_575 (Large).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles