Storing tie down straps and the like

pray4surf

Explorer
Never see anyone talk about this, but what are you all doing for storage of tie down straps, whether ratcheting or lashing straps? We all carry some extras, right?

Right now, I just toss them in a tool bag and if I'm feeling ADD about it, I'll roll them up on themselves. Nevertheless, it's usually a tangled mess. :(

Bet there are some clever solutions amongst this community...

quickfarms

Adventurer
Chains and binders are stored in plastic tool boxes.

The 2" straps are stored rolled up in a bus tray, 4 per tray.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'm afraid there isn't much to be done. Short of making a tool box with inserts just for your specific needs, there's nothing special you can do.

zelatore

Explorer
I roll 'em up and throw a loop or two of electrical tape around them to hold them together so they don't get all tangled up.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Old paddlers trick: Exponentially quicker than rolling straps up is to hold your hand in the palm up position and spread your fingers apart.

Lay the buckle end across your hand with the buckle hanging slightly out of your hand.

Begin wrapping the strap in a figure 8 around your pinky finger and your thumb, (so it will crisscross itself in the center of your palm)

This can be done much quicker than rolling it up.

When you reach end, wrap the end around the center of the figure 8 and back into the buckle you left hanging out of the figure 8 and cinch it down snug.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I roll them then add a zip-tie across the diameter. same with power tool cords. zip tie inventor should be knighted!

Xrunner

Explorer
I use thick rubberbands (usually for Asparagus bundles) and then store the rolled straps in a plastic rubbermade-type shoebox.

Mobryan

Adventurer
I split them, daisychain the long straps, fold the buckle end strap up though the handle then close the handle down to hold that short strap in place. I have a few light duty cam-buckle ends that just get rolled and taped. All of that goes into a shoebox sized plastic sliding drawer that stays under the seat. Having them split like that saves space in my drawer, and makes it easier to mix and match strap ends and lengths to fit the cargo.

Matt

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use the self-stick velcro (the kind that sticks to itself, back to front) to keep them tight after self-wrapping. I buy the stuff in big rolls of various widths since I use it for lots of stuff, then cut custom lengths for anything that needs securing like that. No tangles, no unrolling.

A more budget solution might be the cheap reusable cable-ties from Harbor Freight, but they don't self-adhere along their whole length.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I roll em up, and put them side the storage area where my spare is. Before that, I rolled em up, and used a rubberband to hold em together.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I roll them up and wrap a thick rubber band around the middle.

OK - it's not really a rubber band, I use strips cut from either old bicycle tubes or old motorcycle tubes.

MotoDave

Explorer
I am currently conducting a very exacting scientific study as to how many knots a pair of tie down straps can tie themselves into when left to their own devices in the back of a truck bed.

I believe I will significantly contribute to Chaos Theory with my findings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles