Welded shackle mounts to ARB bumper

My ARB came with shackle mounts that are an integral bolt-on where the bumper attaches to the frame. Not as beefy..or "purty"...as yours, but they were available for my model. :sombrero:

robert

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm sure yours is probably stout, just comments in general. Like I say, though, it's not the weld that fails but the steel in the bumper fails. Doing this way isn't as much of an issue on a bumper made from 3/16" or 1/4" plate steel. The ARB is 3mm thick, which is less than 1/8" thick. I've gotten into traffic accidents with one and the steel folds pretty easily, which is what's supposed to happen. Often off-road bumpers are built not to deform but ARB intentionally designs them to crumple and absorb energy.

I can't speak for his particular bumper but he said it was originally designed to house a winch so I bet it's the same as mine. The center section that houses the winch is actually thicker material that is braced up/channeled vs. the outer wings. I'm not near mine to tell you how thick it is, but it probably over twice as thick as the sides. For whatever reason, ARB didn't add any recovery points on the Tacoma models either so I welded some on mine also. I had the loop parts welded to plates that were then welded to the thicker winch carrier section.

tommudd

Explorer
They're phallic! And those of us who drive Liberties need a little personal re-assurance! :victory:

They are good for Deer and Toyota Camrys ! Mine took out 4 Deer over the years and the Camry had to be towed away on a roll back. Also the ARB for the KJ Libertys have tow points sort of back under the bumper, I assumed they all had provisions to do so

T.Low

Expedition Leader
They are good for Deer and Toyota Camrys ! Mine took out 4 Deer over the years and the Camry had to be towed away on a roll back. Also the ARB for the KJ Libertys have tow points sort of back under the bumper, I assumed they all had provisions to do so

If you've hit that many deer, it may be because you've mistakenly installed your deer whistles on backwards , and are thus calling the deer toward you instead of away from you. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier