Welded shackle mounts to ARB bumper

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I'm disappointed that ARB doesn't include recovery shackle mounts on their ARB bumpers.

So I welded some mounts that I made out of 1/2inch plate.

u4une8y6.jpg

Cleaned them up a little

mata9u5y.jpg

and sprayed them with paint

ynu4aduj.jpg

Should've done this long time ago

4e3emepe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Nice work! It's wierd that they didn't add them to your bumper, I have then on the ARB for my Liberty. Maybe it's because they have faith a Montero won't need them. As for the Liberty... :coffeedrink:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My ARB has provisions to bolt on tow hooks to which I bolted shackle adapters.

One thing I'd mention is you faced welded the brackets to thin sheet metal, it's better in this case to cut slots and either add a second bead. Like these, if you can see it.

Bolt-on Shackle Mounts Main_thumb.jpg

Better would be to make the brackets in a 'T' shape and weld on the back so that you spread the load over a large surface. What you've done has a chance of ripping rip off in a recovery, not from poor welds but from the bumper face tearing. You put them in a pretty good location right next to a joint with plenty of material, though, so it's probably unlikely on your bumper.

BTW, I think bolting on shackle tabs like the above ones with a large backing plate is a safer way to add them to an ARB that doesn't have any way to use shackles.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I thought about doing that but then I saw a ton of after market bumpers having the shackles welded on the same way I did.
I did a beveled double pass T joint and its near a backing plate that bolts to the frame mounts so Im sure its not going anywhere.

..I do agree though the setup that you posted would probably be even stronger.

DaveInDenver

Yeah, I'm sure yours is probably stout, just comments in general. Like I say, though, it's not the weld that fails but the steel in the bumper fails. Doing this way isn't as much of an issue on a bumper made from 3/16" or 1/4" plate steel. The ARB is 3mm thick, which is less than 1/8" thick. I've gotten into traffic accidents with one and the steel folds pretty easily, which is what's supposed to happen. Often off-road bumpers are built not to deform but ARB intentionally designs them to crumple and absorb energy.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
The only reasons I would add the weight and expense of an off road bumper are for the recovery points and to house the winch. Your ARB does neither? Just adds weight and expense?

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm sure yours is probably stout, just comments in general. Like I say, though, it's not the weld that fails but the steel in the bumper fails. Doing this way isn't as much of an issue on a bumper made from 3/16" or 1/4" plate steel. The ARB is 3mm thick, which is less than 1/8" thick. I've gotten into traffic accidents with one and the steel folds pretty easily, which is what's supposed to happen. Often off-road bumpers are built not to deform but ARB intentionally designs them to crumple and absorb energy.

I might reinforce it with a plate behind the mounts if I see any deformation during a pull.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
The only reasons I would add the weight and expense of an off road bumper are for the recovery points and to house the winch. Your ARB does neither? Just adds weight and expense?

The bumper does house a winch.

And I agree it is obese.

DaveInDenver

ARB sells bull bars, their primary duty is preventing vehicle damage in the event of an animal strike. Most of their bumpers accommodate winches, maybe eurosonic's didn't originally? They do make a few non-winch bumpers, dunno. Mine was designed to fit one from ARB.

As far as vehicle recovery, I don't know ARB's logic when they design them but the one for my old Toyota pickup includes a place to reuse the factory town hooks and has two eyes that can also be used for recovery. Not having recovery points is one thing that constantly comes up with ARB so I've never understood why they don't add them.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Either the factory fit and finish leaves a little to be desired, or you had to cut up the ARB bumper in order to fit the winch. Point is, it looks like it wasn't designed as a winch bumper.

Edit: I'm sorry, I don't want to sound like "that guy" on the internet, I seriously don't get it, though. If it's mainly a cow catcher, then I guess that is the point I was missing.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Either the factory fit and finish leaves a little to be desired, or you had to cut up the ARB bumper in order to fit the winch. Point is, it looks like it wasn't designed as a winch bumper.

The bumper was originally designed for a Toyota FJ Cruiser and made to a house a winch. I modified the bumper to fit the Montero and also moved the winch mounting location further up in the bumper.

Check out my post here where I cut off the excess fat.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ero-2-5Gen-Build-Thread?p=1374513#post1374513

and winch install

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ero-2-5Gen-Build-Thread?p=1501142#post1501142

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Gotcha on the fit. Sorry for coming in late to the conversation and raising questions you've already covered!

Recovery points are one of the few areas I had professionally engineered and installed on my van. I've had two rigs scarred up from other rigs recovery points snapping off and hitting my truck ( ok, it was 30 years ago already, but you don't forget those experiences, :sombrero:) so my ears always perk up a bit when I hear recovery talk.

Good luck with yours.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey

They're phallic! And those of us who drive Liberties need a little personal re-assurance! :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz