Hobo pans or pie irons

Honu

lost on the mainland
Just curious who uses them and what do you do in them ?
Post up pics recipes if you do :)

we are loving the tramezzino
http://snowpeak.com/collections/cooking/products/tramezzino-gr-009
we have a few other cast iron pie pans but loving this one more :) easier to clean up, short folding handles so packs super small and super even cooking not a fire pit setup though :) but so many burn bans here ? tend to use it on the stove more also no worries of rusting ever etc..

bread pizza pies the kids love and have to say pretty darn good for a late night treat
Snow_Peak_tramezzino-gr-009_01.jpg

my recent breakfast idea that was a huge hit my one kid does not like sausage but IMHO must have also works with bacon
first cook the eggs in the setup so its the same shape then take out put in the hash brown then egg then meat then cover with more hash browns
Snow_Peak_tramezzino-gr-009_02.jpg

Snow_Peak_tramezzino-gr-009_03.jpg

the final product :)*
Snow_Peak_tramezzino-gr-009_04.jpg

Dennx

Adventurer
I tried my Rome pie iron for the first time this past weekend camping in Big Bear. I need to get the timing right, but it was a delicious slightly burnt bread pizza.

tarditi

Explorer
I have a pair of Camp Chef pie irons... made simple hobo pies with bread (also tried with cinnamon raisin bread) on either side, pie filling inside with a dash of cinnamon, and powdered sugar on the outside once served - they were good. Not perfect, but good. Next time I may try with different types of dough (croissant rolls, for instance).

Got great reviews from my fellow campers, but they aren't a fussy crowd.

vicali

Adventurer
Our pie-irons come out every camp trip..
Our standard routine;

-white (unhealthy!) hamburger bun buttered (lots!) on the outside.
-add pie filling of your choice, also chocolate works.
-toast over fire, preferably while drinking a Baileys.
-drop into paper back with a handful of white sugar.
-shake it 4 times.
-eat as many as you can.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We have an ancient round set of these from my wife's family. I think I'm going to sneak them into the rig and surprise her with a pie of some sort on the next trip..

Honu

lost on the mainland
we did the pop up cinnamon rolls in them also kinda fun like vicali lots of butter works fun and makes em kinda crunchier on both sides
might try the bag sugar idea on these next time :)

also doing the pop up biscuit dough cut in half then patted out to size with fun goo stuffed inside is fun compared to bread wife does not like it as much as bread ? I kinda like the density of it
saw a nutella and banana recipe then again nutella and anything is good
peanut butter and nutella is a fun mess HOT so watch out for desert thing also thought about throwing some mini marshmallows in it :)

pancake batter with bacon :) we did a bunch of these on the griddle but works with a good sealing iron also
I prefer swedish pancakes but to thin :) so you have to use the more what I call American pancake batter the thicker stuff

Scoutman

Explorer
Subscribed. I got one of these for Christmas last year and have yet to use it. Looking for recipes and may get to use it this weekend.

Bump for some more ideas...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I cook 90% of my camp meals in a Pie Iron. Grilled cheese, meatballs, breakfast sandwiches, bacon, sauteed mushrooms or onions. Cinnamon roles, brownies and other desserts.

Honu

lost on the mainland
try that hash brown one for breakfast :)

will have to do some more with some other fun things
always the basics are easy the pizza sandwiches etc...
I also do regular sandwiches a lot like ham and cheese
anything and everything between two slices of bread basically :)

take pop dough flatten it out a bit more or get the smaller biscuit pop dough and flatten out quite a bit to use for sides pinch it trim off excess kinda thing so it gets a good seal
from there anything goes you can put inside
peanut butter cups and banana slices sprinkle with cinnamon sugar kinda stuff

I am going to try a bunch of rice recipes soon so will post that up since I love white rice so much kinda like the hash browns ? instead of bread

also going to try some raw tortilla dough recipes out :)

Subscribed. I got one of these for Christmas last year and have yet to use it. Looking for recipes and may get to use it this weekend.

Bump for some more ideas...

Scoutman

Explorer
I got to use mine for the first time this past weekend. I used Cinnamon Swirl Bread (Pepperidge Farm) and buttered the sides that the iron would touch. I placed a good portion of homemade apple pie filling in the middle breaking up any apple chunks. Flip often to get a golden brown and deliciously crispy shell and you have a pretty good baked apple pie. They were a hit with the Scout Pack and I'll be doing more things in it now.

Tip: bring more butter than you think and leave it out so it will soften to spread.

bpfamily

rove around
Our tradition is the round pie irons are for desserts and the square ones are for sammiches. Our round ones are third generation pie irons handed down from grandpa. Seasoned with walnut oil. More powder sugar please.

Honu

lost on the mainland
have a fridge/freezer throw a scoop of ice cream on it and really blow em away :)

I got to use mine for the first time this past weekend. I used Cinnamon Swirl Bread (Pepperidge Farm) and buttered the sides that the iron would touch. I placed a good portion of homemade apple pie filling in the middle breaking up any apple chunks. Flip often to get a golden brown and deliciously crispy shell and you have a pretty good baked apple pie. They were a hit with the Scout Pack and I'll be doing more things in it now.

Tip: bring more butter than you think and leave it out so it will soften to spread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles