Any recommendations for a offline off road mapping system app for the iPad mini?

MikeMGB

Motion X or Gaia, I use both. I couldn't recommend one over the other, they are both excellent. Buy both and try them.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
I use Gaia in my iPad and phone, I love it.

The iPad is a wifi model so I use the Bad Elf GPS, the pair work great together. Just did the Mojave Rd, worked perfect.

Grizzlys4Runner

I use offline topo maps by trail behind. Same company that makes Gaia. In fact offline topo maps has Gaia pro built into the app.

mikelite80

Adventurer
I use MotionX GPS HD, I have tried many and I keep coming back to the MotionX.

Agreed. I also use MotionX GPS Drive for driving directions. It's done a better job then even Google. When I did have a problem, I reported the problem, and within 45 min I'm having an email conversation with tech support trouble shooting the issue. Ended up being a bug in that version.

Only request I'd like to see from MotionX is a cloud service so my way points synced between devices. I'd even pay a few bucks a year for the service.

robgendreau

Explorer
I like Gaia for the mapping, especially adding custom maps and layers. What works for you may depend on what maps you prefer.

But I like Motion X for the basic GPS interface when I want to navigate without maps, mark waypoints, etc.

And don't overlook PDF Maps by Avenza. Great for looking at certain maps, like the visitor guides the NPS provides. Or forest service visitor maps, or the CTUC maps. All available for purchase for use with PDF Maps; I haven't seen some of those for Gaia or Motion X.

I also like Trimble's for planning, since it has a nice web interface for marking up a map then synching to the mobile device.

The tougher question is which maps to use for offroading. I prefer the latest USFS topos, since they have more up to date info, esp. on closures and whatnot. Or the CTUC maps, although only for CA, although I think there may be similar ones for other states. And aerial photo overlays are often very helpful offroad.

Rob

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Been running Avenza, Gaia, and MX-HD the past 9+ months

MX-HD gets my primary use: simple interface and very good resolution on static maps.
Avenza second: very good on PDF maps
Gaia I kinda gave up on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles