Can anyone recommend a decent gps for off road travel in the USA?

I'm looking for a GPS service or device for traveling off road in national forests and BLM lands that May or may not show mapping? Sorry I'm new to the whole technology thing. Thanks

brentbba

Explorer
Search on MotionX here and you'll uncover a treasure of information. Pay particular attention to posts from RobRed and find his link to his blog. Tons more info there on GPS software for your mini.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
You can also just get a modern Garmin (and probably a Magellan but I've only used Garmins) and upload into it topo maps. The later, higher end Garmins allow you to load multiple maps and switch between them.

tarditi

Explorer
I use my android phone with Backcountry Navigator Pro installed.

For stand-alone GPSes I've had several Garmins and always pleased with their performance.

Scott Brady

Founder
I just use my iPhone. There are some great apps that allow offline topo maps

On the Moto, I use a Garmin Montana

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
My question first would be what do you already have? I had an iPad so I added a Garmin GLO and use Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Maps Pro. Works great for my needs.

RobRed

Explorer
if you are interested in iPad use hit the links in my Sig. The advantage to using a tablet like the iPad, or phone like Scott, is the ability to inexpensively add additional mapping as well as almost continuous software updates.

FullMonte

Adventurer
I use Google maps on my Samsung note 3. I know it sound crazy but, I normally don't have cell reception but the gps on this thing hasn't let me down yet. It's pretty accurate. I also use back country navigator app on android at times.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I use Gaia GPS on my phone to download USFS topos, I've never had an issue with it yet and when I forget to download maps the auto-caching feature usually does a good job of saving me.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If your not going to a tablet based system, the Montana is the best GPS. I would pay for Garmin software however, topo and Birdseye are great additions to the Montana series.

Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles