IFS and suspension question

93burban

Observer
Good morning everyone. I have read quite a bit on here and love all the info. I would like some advice . I have a 1993 Chevy Suburban and in its stock form except for larger tires goes just about anywhere I want it to and is an excellent long distance expo vehicle. I was thinking of new springs with more leafs and new shocks on the back as I do not want blocks, and just say a four inch lift on the front . Any thoughts on this ? Also, what extra work has anyone done to their IFS and axels? Has anyone tried lockers with these rigs before and if so whast are your thoughts on its performance .

Thanks folks. Have a fantastic day.

haven

Expedition Leader
A four inch ifs lift usually involves adding longer control arms. Search for "upper control arms" or "Uca" for examples. These move the wheels farther out from the chassis, so you usually need some fender extensions to cover the tires.

I'm sure others will post that you should replace the front suspension with a solid front axle. That's another alternative.

93burban

Observer
Thank you for the info my friend. The thought of putting in the solid Axel did come to mind but decided against it at this point in time . Fender extensions is something I haven't thought of , thank you.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Price out IFS and SAS ahead of time. Building a strong IFS setup can get really expensive. IFS is the right answer for most people on moderate terrain and is definitely better on a paved surface but if you ever think you may want more out of the truck its good to consider that ahead of time.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

40calPunisher

A four inch ifs lift usually involves adding longer control arms. Search for "upper control arms" or "Uca" for examples. These move the wheels farther out from the chassis, so you usually need some fender extensions to cover the tires.

I'm sure others will post that you should replace the front suspension with a solid front axle. That's another alternative.
You can buy lift kits from 2-6" using the stock IFS arms. Im not sure longer control arms are available for these rigs...

As far as not using blocks, this is a pretty standard item when jacking the rear up. You can always add traction bars to help combat axle wrap.

http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/f...250_powerstroke_twin_turbo+four_link_rear.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz