Minimum water tank size???

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I'm in the midst of building a water tank/system for my van. And while I do have a solid handle on how to pipe everything. One thing I am unsure of is how much water I really need? This will determine where the tank will need to be mounted.

Ideally I would like for two people to be able to take a quick shower without re filling. If there was still water left beyond that for hand and dish washing that would be a fantastic bonus.

This van is not meant for extended boon docking as we are almost always on the move. And if I really want to get away I'll hop on my KTM anyways:roost:

So what says the group? How much water are you using per day when camping?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I can manage with 5 gallons a day sometimes 3.5 to 4. I usually am on the move and most gas stations will give you free water. Just be sure to get some sort of simple filtering system because some of the gas stations have sulfur smelling water.
I keep it simple and carry 15 gallons of water in portable jugs.
one day I'd like to build in a 25 gallon water tank and carry a long enough hose to reach a spicket but right now the jugs are fine.

wirenut

Adventurer
My camper's tank is 33 gallons. That's enough for: 2 showers each for me and the wife, washing the dishes 2 times, washing hands and flushing the toilet numerous times, drinking water for a family of 4 plus a dog for 3 days.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Thanks guys!
I should clarify a bit more. I will still be carrying a 5 gallon portable for drinking water. This tank will be hooked up to an exchanger and used almost exclusively for hot water washing.

Right now with the possible locations I have identified I can fit about 8/9 gallons of water in one tank. To carry more then that I'll need to go with multiple tanks. From the numbers you have given me I think we will be ok with a single tank.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
26 gallons gives my family of 3 about 5 days and it's used for washing, bathing, and cooking. We carry addition water for drinking the about depends on how long we plan to be out and where. The 33 gallon posted by wirenut is about right for a total.

skubadu

In the Sailing World, the rule is a gallon per person a day. Drinking water and cooking, saltwater shower and a freshwater rinse every few days. How much more luxurious you want to go depends on your preferences.

hitekhobo

Public Lands Accessor
We have a 40 gallon in our truck camper. If we really tried, the two of us (plus two pets) could make it last 2 weeks while boondocking. We currently have a 30 gallon tank in the van. We haven't really tried to go more than a week (two showers each). We have water left over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94