$50-$70 Amazon Snorkels

1stDeuce

Explorer
Did you read the feedback on Amazon? It's just like any of the high dollar units... It's only going to work good if you get it installed and SEALED correctly. In the case of this one, that will require lots of silicone sealant... :) One of the reviewers summed it up by saying "If you're a bolt on guy, have someone else install it, or spend more."

Sounds about right to me. Might have to put one of these budget snorkels on the comanche just for the look. If I can find an airbox that will support it... :)

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've seen a few of the cheap made in china units run by some of the FJ Cruiser guys I know. Other than the templates being wrong and instructions sucking they work just as well as any of the high dollar units.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
This is one of those areas that you should absolutely not skip on cost. You get what you pay for. If this was a minor accessory then heck yes go for it...but it's not, this is your engine. Big $$$$$ if its not done correctly.

cwadej

just a guy
I bought the one linked. As long as you locate the snorkel to the antenna mount, then locate the hole off of that, the unit works fine. There are almost no instructions, just a template. You will need to seal at the airbox, as well as cut a new hole in the side of it. Ten of course seal this.

Overall, it's a good, sturdy, item. Much beefier than i thought it would be.

I would buy it again.

If you are anywhere near Fort Worth, shoot me an IM, you can see it firsthand.

marktutone

Adventurer
Looks good to go

I do not own one but I am going to buy one. I will post something to let you know how it goes.

Justincredible

Adventurer
This is one of those areas that you should absolutely not skip on cost. You get what you pay for. If this was a minor accessory then heck yes go for it...but it's not, this is your engine. Big $$$$$ if its not done correctly.

It's a plastic pipe that attaches to your airbox.
If you're going to skimp, this is the place to do it. Just make sure it's sealed.

XJINTX

Explorer
I have one on my XJ... mounted fine and is sturdier than I expected. As mentioned the instructions were BAD but... not a real issue. I did not use the hose and connections they provided as I wanted a GOOD tightly sealed system. I bought the necessary parts from summit. I also replaced the outside hardware a few months after install with stainless as theirs were rusting.

luk4mud

Explorer
I think the first question is, do you need a snorkel, based upon where you live and how you use your rig? Living the the SW, in my many offroad trips I can only think of only a time or two where it might have come in handy and then only more for piece of mind.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I have seen a bunch of guys running them on their land cruisers. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of them.

haven

Expedition Leader
"Do you need a snorkel"

Snorkels are essential for deep water crossings, of course. They also are effective at reducing the dust sucked into your air filter. So useful for driving in the dusty southwest, even if you avoid the flash floods.

luk4mud

Explorer
If its primarily for dust, I will pass. There are lots of times that I would take in more dust with than without a snorkel. If its for water, I would have to be crossing water that is approaching 3 feet high for it to be of use vs the standard placement of the airbox, and if that is the case I have alot of other issues, like breather tubes, electrical connections, etc.

If it is purely for aesthetics, to each his own I guess.

"Do you need a snorkel"

Snorkels are essential for deep water crossings, of course. They also are effective at reducing the dust sucked into your air filter. So useful for driving in the dusty southwest, even if you avoid the flash floods.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
If its primarily for dust, I will pass. There are lots of times that I would take in more dust with than without a snorkel.

This is why you put a pre-cleaner (cyclonic style filter) in place of the standard periscope top inlet. I run the standard periscope most of the time and bring my pre-cleaner with me in the event the trails are dry/dusty. It does work in my experience.

Septu

Explorer
If I was going to intentionally play in deep water I'd spend the extra money on the real deal. However if this was simply for insurance, then I'd consider this. Personally am not a huge fan of knock offs (on anything other than perhaps DVDs - where the quality of the product (on screen) is the same). But that's me.

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
Well this is a great and timely post - was just about to start looking for one. I agree with the comments in the thread - do you need one, aesthetics or practicality, insurance or standard... I have been on the fence on the snorkel because I think that most are installed for the "poser" reasons, but I have been on remote trails recently (and planning more this Fall) that have had water crossings that "weren't expected" due to fluctuations in weather, etc. Last weekend, I had to drive through water that I am estimating to be at least 3 feet deep (estimation based on the 33" tires being the same height as the doorless door threshold that the water was pouring over). So it looks like an "insurance" snorkel is in my future.

All that said, for those of you that have gotten this one, can you please post some pictures (inside and outside) of your install? CWADEJ - will IM you about meeting up to see yours, but will be out of town for a few weeks first.

Thanks -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz