Looking For a Hot Weather Hiking Boot

vwhammer

Adventurer
I have been trying to track down an nice hot weather hiking boot/shoe for some summer trips I have planned.

It seems what I am looking for does not exist. (except for one but I will get to that in a minute)

Here is what I would like to find.
1. Mid cut
2. Some open Mesh construction for breathe-ability
3. Not Waterproof (also for breathe-ability)
4. $250 USD or less

For such a short list you would think this would be an easy thing to track down.
However, nearly every "ventilated" mesh construction boot I can find has a waterproof lining of some sort.
I already have "warm weather" boots that have a Gore-Tex lining and they are just too hot.

Also, generally, any of the boots/shoes that do have the open mesh construction are all low cut.

The real drag is I just bought a pair of mid cut Danner Extroverts and they were exactly what I wanted and worked perfectly. http://www.danner.com/boots/extrovert-4-5-brown-orange.html
However, after owning and wearing them for 3 days and doing one real mild 3 mile walk, the sole has come unglued in a couple places on both boots so they will be going back.

I need to find something quick so I can order them and wear them to break them in.
I have a 2 day 20 mile hike coming up in the middle of July and I want to make sure they are real cozy for the hike

So the hunt continues...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I prefer a full grain unlined leather boot for the conditions you describe. Leather breaths, it's the aggressive treatments clogging (you don't want to 'seal' leather) the pores and Goretex that makes boots into vapor retainers. I personally dislike mesh in my hikers, makes the boot flex odd and wears out fast. My $0.02 is that mesh is only necessary in hikers when you're walking through a lot of water, e.g. jungles or something, where you need it to drain fast otherwise I've never really had much issue with hot feet in full leather boots.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thats because a hiking book is supposed to have a basic water resistance.

Wanting open mesh without a breathable liner makes it a trail running shoe.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Merrill makes a boot that is super open/mesh/airy.

I wouldn't try to carry a heavy back-pack load with them as the openness makes the support lesso than others, but if you just have light load etc, its actually a really airy/comfortable boot.

Sirocco

Explorer
Meindl Desert Fox. I think it is the 'Safari' version that is a mid style boot, otherwise the normal ones are pretty high.

G

pcut

Adventurer
Merrell Moab Ventilator. The most comfortable shoe I've EVER worn.
X2- the Goretex is really great for crossing those canyon bottom streams. I hate getting my socks wet in a crossing and then dealing with the results (sand and rubbing etc) for the rest of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94