Sticker/Decal application tips

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
I just repainted the hood of my XJ Jeep and I have a giant Warn sticker that is about 3' across X 1.5' high I would like to install across the hood. A sticker that large could easily get to be wrinkled-up-ugly real quick unless installed properly. Any useful tips or techniques will be gratefully appreciated. Also, what would be a reasonable cure time for the new paint before attempting the install?

kai38

Explorer
I think a spray bottle with just water in it will help, Ive seen a shop spray the area to apply large decals, the water helps it "float" and use a credit card sized squeegee to smooth it out

richard310

pew pew
Second kai38. Typically for large applications, have a spray bottle with water/soap when applying. This allows for positioning before complete adhesion.

Thoroughly clean the surface with soap and water to degrease and clean the surface of debris and let completely dry

You can do one of two things:
1. Spray the clean surface with the soapy spray bottle OR
2. Apply dry if you are certain of the applied area and have no fear

If using the spray bottle method, you can peel off the entire backing and layout the decal directly on the water.
Once you have the decal positioned, starting at one point, use a flat surface (ie: a credit card or piece of plastic) to "sweep" out the air bubbles and liquid.
Always move from starting-point-center to edge of decal as you sweep. This allows the bubbles to be expunged out from under the vinyl without getting trapped.
Once the entire vinyl has been laid, let sit out and dry.
Check for tiny air bubbles. Use an exacto knife or sharp point object to poke holes to release the air and smooth out the vinyl. Use a heat gun to expedite the process as you poke holes.

If going in dry, start at one point, and slowly begin to peel off the backing from the start point using the sweep method. This will keep dirt and other debris from attracting to exposed adhesive as you adhere it to your surface. Use the exacto knife/heat gun method to relieve air bubbles and smooth out the little bumps.

Try to do this not in direct sunlight or on hot surfaces. You vinyl may stretch as you apply it to your surface.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I cut the backing straight to the decal.

clean the surface so it is lint free.

I use masking take to hold the decal in position.

I then flip up the decal and start to slowly remove the backing as I use plastic putty knives to smooth it out.

Go slow and you will not have any large bubbles. The small bubbles will disappear in a couple of days or a week.

We do do it in the shop after the vehicle cools to room temperature. Usually the vehicle is left in the shop the night before.

I have never tried or used a water bottle.

This is one truck with the decals applied and just before the backing was removed. You can see how the decal was trimmed and the tape.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402210356.439324.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier