Long Gun Storage

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I'm trying to find a solution to storing a long gun in a discreet manner inside of my Jeep JKU. Please feel free to share any options you've discovered no matter the vehicle. Striking out so far but figured with all the knowledge and expertise here, there has to be someone with a clever solution. Thanks in advance...Jerry

screwball48

Explorer
In all of the SUV's that i have owned I just placed rifles directly behind the front row seats with a jacket thrown over them. I have never had many back seat passengers until the last year or so. You may try a form of overhead storage mounted longitudinally with the roll bar.

ventura911

Adventurer
I'm using a Pelican case and Caribou Cargo mounts on an upper rack. You can't see much through the factory window tint and it's easily removable.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
my plan is

to take out the rear seat build a shallow new floor over the back of the jeep with deep storage behind the front seat and shallow storage over the back of the jeep may be 3 inches deep/

Beerdy

Observer
There was a guy on jeepforum.com that made a stand that went along the roll bar at the top. Seemed to work out pretty well and was fairly discrete.

uber

Observer
could always do a single drawer version of something like mine

IMAG0594.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

rgallant

Adventurer
I like that Aerofab, if I had a roll bar that would perfect. I have a shotgun I keep behind the front seats, in a black scabbard. I am in a Pathfinder it is handy when I need it an pretty much out of sight.

I would think what you are carry matters is a truck gun or something nicer. For something nicer a hard case solution might be best. I think something like the drawer in Uber's post that you put on the bottom and load around.

Then you just slide it open and you are good.

It is a tough one though, I am still trying to figure something for my pathfinder that is more secure but still handy, that drawer system is looking like a good idea.

ventura911

Adventurer
I'd caution that anyone with this particular lock remove or hide the wires. It is a powered release used in patrol vehicles, and when we used one on a wall for prepare-to-repel-boarders station security, we found that a 9V battery could open the lock when touched to the wires.

As for the mount itself, a roll bar shouldn't be necessary. This looks like it mounts at the sides of the roof.

Roof mounted. I am thinking of this and first saw it on the Expedition Overland Tacoma build.
Finishedrackwithpads_zps8caac8c3.jpg

Last edited:

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I'd caution that anyone with this particular lock remove or hide the wires. It is a powered release used in patrol vehicles, and when we used one on a wall for prepare-to-repel-boarders station security, we found that a 9V battery could open the lock when touched to the wires.

As for the mount itself, a roll bar shouldn't be necessary. This looks like it mounts at the sides of the roof.

And find a mount that allows you to mount the business end in the opposite direction....no fun removing and restocking in that position

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94