dual band benefits

Ryan Matthes

Adventurer and Explorer
Am trying to understand the benefits of the dual band versus just the UHF radios - I mean I get the main difference is that you can use both UHF and VHF, but is there a practical difference like greater range, clarity, etc...? what are the uses cases for dual band setups? are the handhelds nearly as good as the hard mounts? Thanks in advance.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
VHF (assuming 2m) is more common for trails it appears . Also more likely to find repeaters with folks.

UHF limited distance. Often handheld to handheld in the field but no reason can't do car to car. There are some neat wide area linked systems on UHF out around AZ and CA.

Combined you can do split repeater in some rigs or satellite comms .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Depends on what's available in your area. UHF only may work fine for you, but if you travel you may enter an area that is primarily VHF. I would guess also that if someone is going to buy a single band rig it would likely be a VHF....

Here in Oklahoma 2m repeaters are everywhere so one could be fine with a 2m only rig... and I thought I would be to. Until I came across a UHF linked system that covered half the state and figured why would I want to limit myself and not have access to such a wide coverage system? That was my reasoning for a dual band rig anyway. The crossband repeat comes is handy too when I monitor the weather from my desk at work using my HT...crossbanding through my mobile in the Jeep parked outside.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have multi-band in the truck and use a 2m handheld. Pretty much stay in the 2m range for everything I do though.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
+1 for "It all comes down to what's nearby".

In the SD area there are several 70cm repeaters. Very handy. Out in the desert, I've only run into 2m. One radio lets me hit both...

nat

Adventurer
There are a lot of 2m and 70cm repeaters depending on where you are, so I run a Yaesu 7900. It gives me more options.

abruzzi

Adventurer
As others have said, if you want to talk on repeaters, you go with what's out there. Having dual band gives you more options. If your not using repeaters and just talking simplex there are a couple things to consider: what radios do the people you want to talk to use? I have found far more single band VHF (2m) than single band UHF (70cm). So VHF may score a win there. Next is propagation: both 2 and 70 are line of sight so, except in rare cases, you will be limited to local, however 70 supposedly penetrated buildings better that 2m (I only know that because it was a test question on the technician test.). So depending on your use, UHF may score a point. Next: there is more bandwidth, and in many areas less use in the 70cm spectrum. So if you are in a crowded area UHF may give you a better chance of finding unused frequencies. Finally, some people get dual bands specifically because they want to use cross band repeating.

playhard

Observer
+2 for "It all comes down to what's nearby".

I am just the opposite of prerunner1982. For the last 10 years I lived in the eastern half of Oklahoma. In Tulsa it is 2m but any where else it is 70cm thanks to TARC's link system. I moved to Oklahoma City a year ago and have not found any use for 70cm here. I do know of a least one new ham that bought a 2m radio only to see it for sale within 6 months because he could only use it near Tulsa. If that person lived in OKC or west, he would be fine.

For the above reason I was only looking for a dual band radio. I started with a dual band HT. It was just ok. Less than a year later I got mobile radio. To me the mobile rigs work much better. I even bought a second FT-7800 for my office at home. With only a mag mount antenna stuck to my filing cabinet, it still work better than my HT setting next it.

ludeykrus

Observer
For the price of a dual band radio compared to a single band, I'd say it's dumb to even consider a single band radio vs. a vhf/uhf radio.

Areas differ. Most everything I've seen is 2m/vhf. Then again, I'm all about options. and if the options are the same price, all the better.

gary in ohio

Explorer
If your talking mobile a big advantage of dual vs single band is a Dual band radio usually comes with a remote head making installation easy.
You also open up a whole lot more freq, as for range, while simple range is a slightly less on simplex, most UHF repeater ranges are similar to VHF

vicali

Adventurer
There are a lot of 2m and 70cm repeaters depending on where you are, so I run a Yaesu 7900. It gives me more options.

If your talking mobile a big advantage of dual vs single band is a Dual band radio usually comes with a remote head making installation easy.

These are the reasons I went with the FT-7900.. crossband repeating is the only thing I missed out on, but that's for the next radio.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
These are the reasons I went with the FT-7900.. crossband repeating is the only thing I missed out on, but that's for the next radio.
And X-band repeating is of marginal benefit. Far less important than having both 2m and 70cm available IMHO. Cross band requires you have an HT or second truck that is deaf because of power or location. As a stand alone mobile radio having it is something you'll never use. The most useful reason to step up to a FT-8800 or similar is having simultaneous dual banding, e.g. being able to do two bands at once.

craig333

Expedition Leader
So far I haven't found much use for 70cm, but just being able to monitor two 2m frequencies at the same time is very handy. Normally 146.520 and whatever is the popular local repeater.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
And X-band repeating is of marginal benefit. Far less important than having both 2m and 70cm available IMHO.

Cross band repeating has its uses. If you are stationary and want to have a base camp from which to hike you could set up a larger base station antenna at your camp and then use a repeater to be free from one spot. So while dad is fishing and the kids are hiking and mom is having quiet time at camp all can chat.

Its rarely used but it does have its moments.

As for the legalities of how its employed, as noted by Gary, yes, their is a separate conversation about the rules pertaining to cross band repeaters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior