dual band benefits

theksmith

Explorer
i have the kenwood TM-V71A and i've only ever used 2m with it. however, i often use one side for our simplex trail frequency while keeping the other side tuned to a local repeater or to the national calling frequency (146.520). i plan to use that side for APRS eventually.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Cross band repeating has its uses. If you are stationary and want to have a base camp from which to hike you could set up a larger base station antenna at your camp and then use a repeater to be free from one spot. So while dad is fishing and the kids are hiking and mom is having quiet time at camp all can chat.

Its rarely used but it does have its moments.

As for the legalities of how its employed, as noted by Gary, yes, their is a separate conversation about the rules pertaining to cross band repeaters.
Didn't say it can't be useful. But until you add a second radio which requires repeating, e.g. having a HT, it serves little to no use. I think a lot of people see it, think it's got to be a good feature and maybe go up a step in radios thinking they may in theory need it for some day that never comes. OTOH the difference in price between a FT-7800 and FT-8800 isn't much so the financial choice is less of a burden than a few years ago. The default full duplex in the Yaesu is not compliant (you can make it so but does take some time to configure) but the Kenwood does a half duplex mode that is legal to use. The details are beyond this thread, like you say.

AndrewP

Explorer
One thing to consider is that a single band radio simplifies and generally improves your antenna choices. A dedicated 5/8 wave 2m whip antenna beats any practical dual band antenna when used on 2m. With that said, the dual band/dual receive radios are also a practical choice-it isn't uncommon to monitor a repeater on one side and talk on simplex on the other, though for my uses, it's been all on 2m.

The divorced head is also a great feature of radios as you get out of the entry level single band radios, as this allows remote mounting of the main unit. But for ease of use, I actually prefer the single band radios-and my current favorite is the Kenwood TM281a, which is a great radio for minimal $$. I wish the head could be divorced, but no.

So in the end, you need to decide what's important to you. Virtually all the yakking you'll do while off roading or travelling will be on 2M. If you'll be using linked networks (cool but not that common) many of those are on UHF, though the one I have used the most-SINBAD-is on 2m(VHF). If a stealth install is what you need, then a divorced head unit is what you want. If cheap is important, then 2m only radio is still a very solid choice.

brentbba

Explorer
One very simple use not mentioned yet - ability to monitor two frequencies at a time. I'll generally have national simplex 146.520 on one band and either scanning local repeaters, listening to a single repeater or yaking away on another frequency with the second band. Mostly 2M on both sides of my FT-8800. Bought the dual band with the intention of setting up the x-band repeating for scout outings, leaving the 8800 on in x-band and then an HT on the hike, etc. Never got around to getting the HT until I was out of scouting, so never have used that feature.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
IMHO the more bands you have the more flexibility you have. Also... UHF (440 mHz) is a bit better in twisty canyons or in downtown city areas as it makes it around corners and through buildings a bit better.

Arclight

SAR guy
You also get the ability to monitor FRS, GMRS and some public safety frequencies on UHF if your radio has that capability. Remember, you are going to go to hell if you use your HAM gear to illegally transmit on those frequencies, although it works just fine.

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94