SxS, UTV, ...

98GP

Observer
Other than the fact they really aren't road worthy, how much fun would it be to try one on an overland expedition? You know, Polaris rzr, ranger, yamaha Viking, viking 6, Honda pioneer, Kawasaki teryx, I think they all would be fun to take exploring the back country. Who's tried it?

njtacoma

Explorer
Over spring break I was visiting my in-laws in AZ. They have Polaris Ranger something, it was nice to drive around on the trails and the fact that you could drive it on the road in AZ was interesting. I was really dusty after a day of trail riding however.

On one of the afternoon trips we ran into a group of 30ish side by sides of various manufacture, the trip leader said they use to be a lot smaller groups and everyone had a jeep or bronco, but now everyone switched and they had a big group doing a cook out enjoying lunch and the view over Roosevelt (?) reservoir. (I know the reputation of some operators, but this group was all retired folks and everyone was following tread lightly principles)

The challenge in Colorado is that they aren't road licensed, so it is hard to connect trails and string together multiple days of travel.

Fun for trail rides, but not as easy to explore with as a licensed road legal 4x4 in my opinion.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My brother and I just talked about this after passing a polaris dealership while driving up to northern Ontario. We came to conclusion that if they were about 5-10K cheaper they'd be worth it. But at their price point, you can build up a pretty decent used jeep. Wouldn't be 1/10th the fun, but it would be road worthy, protected from the elements, and a lot safer.

So if you're after fast trail riding and an adrenaline rush, then they'd be worth it. But they're just getting too damn expensive to consider as a cheaper expedition vehicle option.

rallygabe

Observer
Well....I have spent a little bit of time in RGRs and RZRs....

from my experiences I would say that an 800 RZR would be my pick; reliable engine, okay suspension. Not fast, but functional.

all the SxS are disposable vehicles really so as long as you dont need to go more than 6 months you will be fine. you can also fit the newer 1000XP seats in the older chassis with minimal work, which are WAY more comfortable.

I wanted to build a Dakar style buggy when we released the new 1000XP but nobody was interested so I dropped it. It would have been plenty capable with key components changed out (similar to ATV racing- wheels, tires, reinforce frame and suspension)

Sadly WagoneerSX4 is correct: the price point we are at is not an offering for alot of people on this forum.

Bdk

I haven't done it yet but I will someday. I'm on my 3rd sxs because I like shiny new things but I think there are several on the market that would be good for up to a week long trip with the proper modifications. I would stick to something that's utility or sport/ utility rather than pure sport. The high hp, North American machines tend to break more often. I've had a 2011 Teryx, 2012 teryx4 and now have a 2014 Rzr xp 900. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I have ridden with just about everything out there and if I were going to build a machine for overland style travel it would be a Teryx4 or a yamaha viking. Both are very capable, a good size, have overbuilt frames, axles, and suspension components, and are somewhat sporty. Here's a pic of my teryx4 with a trailer I built to haul camping gear etc because I do not pack light lol.
e1b29b5b7cfe2fbdd4a6611713662f83.jpg

98GP

Observer
You could always try one of these out. They say they are street legal.....

https://oreionmotors.com/

Those lot fun. These oreion buggies are not street legal a as Ford, Chevy or Jeep would be, but you can get them plates as a slow moving vehicle...no speeds over 25 mph👎 it would be similar to golf carts in small communities.

I wish there was more street legal options out there @ normal speeds.

Dake21

Adventurer
Like Wagoneer SX4 said, I find UTV to be too expensive. Around 8 or 10 grand, I could get a pretty decent jeep, mini truck or even a Suzuki Samurai. I could get a fully founctional and street legal dump mini truck for 5k, so...

That Oreionmotor UTV looks really awesome.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
Ditto on the Suzuki Samurai idea. Spend $2000 to buy one, another $2000 to set it up with some goodies and you can still drive it to work after a week of playing.

They're simple, light weight and relatively reliable for a portion of the cost.

Oh... and street legal.

jeeppurz

SxS and Atv are quite afforadable form of offroading

Here are pics of a group camping in northern Ontario for about a week. Theirs nothing that expensive in our group. Good times were had by all.
P1020933_zpsqovyxkpj.jpg

P1020930_zpsuxwuc4sd.jpg
P1020931_zps4mtrkgqr.jpg

P1020924_zpsvma2z38b.jpg

P1020925_zps0kqfz1at.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a ranger 500 4 seater. WE love it. its a blast and with a small trailer, you can go a very long time. It is very comfortable, fairly quiet and pretty fast when needed. We use ours ALOT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne