Custom Truck Bed Build for FWC & Chevy 2500 Duramax

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Hi to all that have opened this thread:
(this my very first time starting a blog post thread here)

Man, have i read about some very dam good builds and mods..... highly impressive. Lets first start by saying mine will never be as good as some of those. Example of a great build and blog post is from GCecchetto. For me it's about cabbage, time, and skill. (fyi: cabbage= irish green for money & lack of, time= never enough, skill= jack of all master of none) Haha.

Ok.... I am building a custom bed for my 2003 Chevy Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax, 4x4, Crew Cab Long Bed. To accommodate my 2009 Four Wheel Camper (FWC) - Grandy. I am the second owner of the camper. Last year I drove out to Iowa to purchase. I am a very simple man and camper. Storage has always been an issue no matter how i have camped; from tent to truck tent, to full truck camper, to pop up, to trailer, back to tent...and final at this stage of life to a FWC pop up.
I am the kinda of guy that will always be tweaking something and looking for not only the best way to do something but the least expensive, and at times settling for what i can afford. Lets face it the best camping and exploring and adventures have been with good people and good trips, not our equipment. First a few pics of the travel home, then i willl start with the build.

First day of purchase in Council Bluffs Iowa.
IMG_2831.jpg
submitting this to start to see how it comes out, if good i will get a beer and continue.

Last edited:

shanz3n5

Adventurer
trip home with camper 7/13..... leading up to build of bed, be patient haha
IMG_2838.jpg
Cabelas Sidney NE

IMG_2849.jpg
Buford WY. looks can be deceiving, actually beautiful.

IMG_2867.jpg
Wild Horse Loop, Wyoming

IMG_2872.jpg
Truckee, Ca

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg
Eureka CA Koa

IMG_2888.jpg
FWC Woodland Ca...Finally made it to factory for inspection.

Ok yes there are lots of pics over the last year. i wont bore you with, was just sending a teaser of exploration. next post starts the build of Truck Bed Build.

Last edited:

shanz3n5

Adventurer
photo 1.jpg
photo 1.jpg
Bed now off

photo 5.jpg
IMG_4776.jpg
will need to buy fuell filler extention to move filler to wheel well, and will need to rebrkacket the FASS pump and filter to tuck in closer to frame rail

IMG_4767.jpg
IMG_4772.jpg

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Update

First---- can anyone tell me how to down load pics other then one at a time here

6/11
Long day yesterday for Steve owner of Caliberfabrication in Wildomar CA.
Its looking pretty good. He tact most of the frame together to get a camper loaded fit check. Cant wait to get off work in the morning and see what he was able to accomplish today. I was able to help prep and paint the rock sliders, but had to stop. The breeze picked up, which felt good in the heat of the day, just not good for outside rattle can painting.
I do need some FWC staff or owner help though. We had to install 6" Spacer Brackets for the Titan Jacks to lift and load. What we noticed was the weak attachment points of existing original brkts. There was quite a bit of flex, and a few holding screws seemed stripped. Only to be amplified with the extension brkts. I am searching for structure pics or drawings of all 4 corners. I have found some on Google images but not sure if my model or year. I think the best solution will to make a 3 sided box bracket (capturing the bottom of the corner overhang and both side, and hopefully 2 structure members, then add the removable extension and Jack.
Pics from yesterday:

IMG_4801.jpg
IMG_4807.jpg
IMG_4806.jpg
IMG_4805.jpg
IMG_4804.jpg
IMG_4803.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg
IMG_4800.jpg
IMG_4799.jpg
IMG_4813.jpg

Last edited:

shanz3n5

Adventurer
sorry about sideway pics.... tech help needed ...haha

looking for ideas and places to go for door latches and hinges

IMG_4816.jpg
IMG_4814.jpg
IMG_4815.jpg
IMG_4817.jpg
IMG_4819.jpg
IMG_4820.jpg

Last edited:

shanz3n5

Adventurer
6/12
Not much to add in the way of pics today so i will wait. I stopped by Steves shop today to discuss a few things and to see where he was at. Big picture is he spend most of the day, yesterday, welding all the tact joints up. And was working on the bumper tie-in when i arrived. I could sit with this guy all day and share thoughts. Im liking where he is going with the bumper frame in. What a great relief to know he is always thinking, not only is this the best thing to do but, "is this what john my customer would like".
So we talked about a very much needed necessity....one that neither of us saw at first. One that has to be addressed immediately, and added to my contract for the build. The camper brackets. We decided to do a 3 walled triangular corner bracket. i did touch base with some FWC vets on this and one die-hard came through. with a similar concern from another post, Thanx Bill. ill try to post at least the pic you sent. I hope we all realize that when we post for help its because we need it. So fire away and let the receiver take the feed back and run with it.

Here is my push for Steve and http://www.caliberfabrication.com/:

I am not easily pleased....haha so I'm told. But I did tell Steve i would push his work if i felt it was worth it. So Here it goes, this guy is Talented, and has a Great Demeanor. I would highly recommend to anyone from a simple 10 minute weld to a full build. Though we are far from completion, i have confidence and faith in his skill and word. His estimates are very competitive and extremely fare. Our price was within my means and being that it is a custom job and building at times around verbal changes, i do expect a price variance. He runs basically a 1 Man show. Ive sen a few guys come to help at times, and watched his management and supervisory skill at work. Subtle but nicely directed. So if you are ever in need of work big or small and passing through or can leave your project with him, you will be in good hands. Being selfish here.... wait till he is almost done with mine hahaha.
Okay gotta run, if i get picks from him along the way this weekend while I'm at work i will post. I work tomorrow and then will be going with family to the Long Beach Irish Festival Saturday. Feel free to join us. I will be looking at hardware for hinges and latches this weekend in my down time. Have a great weekend and stay tuned. Get out there and live my friends..
John

Last edited:

shanz3n5

Adventurer
bolted to existing brackets as well as some new brackets. let me see if i can find pics for it.....yup there r a few attachments pics in post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier