Custom Truck Bed Build for FWC & Chevy 2500 Duramax

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Ok Gents...... first an apology for such a long delay in progress report.
To be honest this way over due. And there have been some delays, some due to my work schedule to pay for the work being done, and some from the fabricator. "The one man shop" has been flooded with drive-in jobs and a few small to jobs paying his bills. But i think with my push and involvement the past few days we have sparked the "lets get this done already" attitude. haha. A lot of over thinking as well. Keep in mind we went at this project with no true drawing or plan, (mistake), just two guys with an idea. We are now hitting the small stuff issues /problems. Like how to seal the compartments properly, how to run the wiring for the different lights. And since Steve is doing 98% of the welding and fabbing in this ridiculous inland empire heat wave, the afternoon work load has taking a toll, (more on me then him, when i can get to Wildomar. Noon temps have been 100deg plus. Last week i was able to pick the truck up to have a friend with a paint shop look at painting or to consider powder coating. I visited paint, powder and linex shop. Bottom line is no matter what finish i decided on, the #1 issue and challenge I still face is the pure size, weight and the maneuverability to do the job off the truck. The bottom and front bilk head face, is why it needs to come off. After many self deliberating hours of finish coat and valuable input. I have decided to linex the entire truck bed/body.....underside, interior compartments, outside, interior bed......every inch of raw metal.
Tomorrow i will finish up drill holes and pulling wire through headache rack and wiring up the utility lights. A bit of a challenge but doable first thing tomorrow. the pics i am putting up now are from last week. the doors and more have been skinned, Steve has been grinding and shaping welds. Tedious work.

***Oh... need input.... the tail/turn/stop led lights are installed but i have run into the speed flashing of turn signals. i believe its due to the "HD Flasher", somewhere on the truck. Where is it and can anyone tell me where to get a medium or light duty flasher?

HELP or INPUT:
Has anyone had hands on a Linex job other then standard bed?
I have conflicting Linex dealer answers: most say it needs to be sand blasted, other say it doesnt- just through degrease wash followed by metal prep/etching wash (acid base). Followed by heavy etching primer. It is raw steel with typical oil impregnation and some WD40 wiped on to keep from being weathered. Then Industrial grade dual coat Linex, top coat UV semi gloss.

Ok Now I NEED local input. (Local 2-3 hr drive from corona) for a Linex shop that has the capability to maneuver, lift, washed, sand blast if needed, prime and shoot. I have no problem with doing all the unbolting and wire / hardware removal.

Ill put up pics this week end in detail.
the 4" round lights were only used to drive, they will be utility lights

Thanx Guys
IMG_5156.jpgIMG_5151.jpgIMG_5152.jpgIMG_5153.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_5155.jpg

shanz3n5

Adventurer
tires rims and suspension will come next year with the exception of having National Spring re-arch and add to stock spring pack until then

shanz3n5

Adventurer
adding reply to post #24......while on the its first test run to have looked at by painter i was able to dart onto an aggregate scale, in between a few belly dump trucks, so only was able to get a quick GVW at 4.1 tons or 8200 lbs.. im guessing with the final pieces of flat stock and the linex, with the 800lb camper ill be right at the 9200 lb GVWR. After speaking with the truck suspension guy he said not to worry, the spring re-arch and additional leafs will supersede the GVWR and stay with E rated or greater tires i should be fine.
if anyone has a GVW and GAW of the same truck that would be great (forgot to weigh before dismantel and build). '03 silverado 2500HD crew, long, 4wd, duramax.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Really wish we know the actual weight. I want to do this but I think I'll use all custom aluminum boxes that will weigh less, not rust up here in New England and can be replaced if one should get damaged.

I like your build...looks awesome.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Really wish we know the actual weight. I want to do this but I think I'll use all custom aluminum boxes that will weigh less, not rust up here in New England and can be replaced if one should get damaged.

I like your build...looks awesome.

Thanx. The aluminum build was my first choice by far. But the material was twice the cost, and the welding time is slower causing the estimate for hourly labor rate of weld time to increase. There were two companies that I was interested in having make the complete aluminum bed and they were both at about 10k min. Out of this guys budget for sure. I plan on retiring in about 8 yrs and am hoping this truck will last that long. I have plans to retire with a new truck, custom aluminum bed, and a new camper. Until then Ill keep what i have and make it all work.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Thanx. The aluminum build was my first choice by far. But the material was twice the cost, and the welding time is slower causing the estimate for hourly labor rate of weld time to increase. There were two companies that I was interested in having make the complete aluminum bed and they were both at about 10k min. Out of this guys budget for sure. I plan on retiring in about 8 yrs and am hoping this truck will last that long. I have plans to retire with a new truck, custom aluminum bed, and a new camper. Until then Ill keep what i have and make it all work.

Love the way it's looking, shanz3n5! I'm watching this build closely.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but since you mentioned aluminum beds as an FYI, I've been working on new ideas for ours, including a new, light-weight aluminum utility bed to replace the used steel one we bought 2 years ago and a new camper. Currently it looks like this:

IMG_2944.jpg

There is a company called Highway Products in Oregon that makes aluminum utility beds so I gave them a call and told them what I want to do and inquired about an aluminum bed that would be configured like my current one. The guy I spoke to sent me this response: "I talked to our engineers and they said that our aluminum service bodies wouldn’t be a good fit for campers as they wouldn’t be stable enough under all conditions. I wish you the best of luck in your search."

In their opinion it appears that having a heavy camper on a light, aluminum utility bed doesn't provide enough ballast compared to a heavier steel bed, at least that's what I gather from his response. After thinking about it it kinda makes sense. I plan on further research since we want to keep our classic Chevy and just upgrade the bed and camper. I may end up going the route you are and have a custom bed made of steel if all else fails.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Your fabricator is doing an excellent job. Since he's just up the road from us maybe I'll pay him a visit soon.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Love the way it's looking, shanz3n5! I'm watching this build closely.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but since you mentioned aluminum beds as an FYI, I've been working on new ideas for ours, including a new, light-weight aluminum utility bed to replace the used steel one we bought 2 years ago and a new camper. Currently it looks like this:

There is a company called Highway Products in Oregon that makes aluminum utility beds so I gave them a call and told them what I want to do and inquired about an aluminum bed that would be configured like my current one. The guy I spoke to sent me this response: "I talked to our engineers and they said that our aluminum service bodies wouldn't be a good fit for campers as they wouldn't be stable enough under all conditions. I wish you the best of luck in your search."

In their opinion it appears that having a heavy camper on a light, aluminum utility bed doesn't provide enough ballast compared to a heavier steel bed, at least that's what I gather from his response. After thinking about it it kinda makes sense. I plan on further research since we want to keep our classic Chevy and just upgrade the bed and camper. I may end up going the route you are and have a custom bed made of steel if all else fails.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Your fabricator is doing an excellent job. Since he's just up the road from us maybe I'll pay him a visit soon.

thanx topofpalomar,

real qwk....i needed a day away from work last sunday so my lady and i jumped on the harley and ventured out. we went a long about way to palomar mountain and boy it was the hottest ride i ever took. by the time we transitioned from the 79 south to the 76 north we were baked from the heat. stopped at a hole called "the hide out", beers were warm so we hit the henshaw lake grocery to get cold drinks. the water was way low but the 76 was a cooler ride in temp. we had planned on hitting the top of palomar somewhere near the observatory, but my lady was wiped out. next time i guess.

On a reply to the aluminum bed. i truly think it is the way to go if you have the means for the price. Douglas truck bodies in stockton does make a camper version and its aluminum, the other company was Highway Products as you mentioned. Funny .... they told me sure we can make anything, i just needed to leave it there a few weeks. No big deal if your spending that kind of money......they gave me a starting or medium price, (cant remember which) of 10k. maybe ill re-look at them come retirement and when its time for this truck to be replaced. or by that time learn to weld and make one haha
btw it was your truck and two others that drove me to make the body. thanx your set up is nice. i will need to re-evaluate the fwc roof structure and supports for another kayak or a canoe.

apologize again for lack of communication

To all that have followed this thread, thanx and yes it has been taking a long time. Steve got slammed with quite few smaller jobs and I've been working a lot to pay for the bed, the full body linex to come, as well as the dually conversion and suspension upgrades to come. I'm off the next few days and plan on bringing truck home while Steve is out of town. Id like to get the brackets installed on the camper and re-fit check it. as well as figure out where and how the "bolt down" is going to work. but it will. Ill get some updated pics as well while in my possession.

hope everyone had great weekend. ive been at the station 72hrs, cant wait to get home do some fun work, have a beer and see my daughter and my lady.
fyi they were both troopers on our last two tent trips to coast, without the camper.

IMG_5195.jpgIMG_5191.jpg
Faria Beach
IMG_5074.jpg
santa cruz
IMG_2963.jpg
but i cant wait to get back up north...just outside Eureka

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Ok my friends..... im gonna get to this update very veryt soon. ive been hammered with kid and home life as well as trying to prep for layout of curriculum for Fire engineers academy. AND working on bed. Im thinking of pulling the post and starting over with pics and build. Got a lot to do over the next week to get at least up to par to even drive and attend the American Adventurist Rendezvous in SoCal on the 19-21 of this month. Bed is complete....well enough to send to linex shop. Very very tight fit. B-tch to get off and will be touch to reinstall i'm sure. here are a few pics. let me know if i should restart this post. thanx for reading so far.
john
IMG_5384.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg
IMG_5386.jpg

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Can you weigh the truck without the body....and then again with the body....and then with body and camper.

I think many would love to know actual weights.

Man, that body is beautiful!

shanz3n5

Adventurer
the last two yes but i missed opportunity to weigh with bed off. im searching for someone to wiegh the exact truck stock to compare weight added by new bed. its not on truck and headed home from work to repull wiring and install latchs. i will say the linex looks good, but i wish more attention to detail was paid. i do have some tedious clean up to do. pics coming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior