Pro and con of full size

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The biggest factor is weight.....

I would rather have a lightly loaded fullsize rather than an overloaded compact or midsize vehicle. Most people GREATLY overload there vehicles with WAY too much stuff. Once you add in the fact that you are taking the vehicle off-road and the durability starts to go WAY down.

For the kind of off-road travel that most people on this board do they will not be hindered by a full size vehicle other than the occasional scratch from some tight brush overhanging a road.

Clutch

<---Pass
The biggest factor is weight.....

I would rather have a lightly loaded fullsize rather than an overloaded compact or midsize vehicle. Most people GREATLY overload there vehicles with WAY too much stuff. Once you add in the fact that you are taking the vehicle off-road and the durability starts to go WAY down.

For the kind of off-road travel that most people on this board do they will not be hindered by a full size vehicle other than the occasional scratch from some tight brush overhanging a road.

^^^this^^^

I have to pack the Taco like weight weenie counting back packer. Tacos are great for solo travel...but when the girlfriend and dog comes...with all the gear we take...Usually trailering two dirt bikes, two mountain bikes, kayaks...then all the gear that goes with that stuff plus camping gear...I get real annoyed.

I don't know how Tacoma guys do it with kids...must be a lot more patient than I am. ;)

rkj__

Adventurer
I don't know how Tacoma guys do it with kids...must be a lot more patient than I am. ;)

On my last trip, it was just me in my Canyon, and I honestly did not have a ton of room to spare, since I was packing a mountain bike and a lot of fire wood. I could certainly make room for a travel partner without much issue. However, with a family of 3 or more, I imagine a mid size truck would get very tight.

HotrodSmurf

Observer
I grew up hunting in my grandpa's 79 F250, When i was in high school I got a 92 F150 and went adventuring. It's what i was used to, didn't really think I was "offroading". I wanted to get more into offroading and needed more seats so I bought a 00 Grand Cherokee. Hated it. With every fiber of my being i detest that jeep. I don't get whats so great about Jeeps and all these little rigs, I have a 94 K1500 ext. cab now and love it. The ifs isn't the greatest but its definitely not the worst thing I've dealt with. It walks through what had the jeep stuck with ease, is more comfortable, has more storage space, is easier to work on, and looks better. The sad thing is, my F150 would whoop the Chevy still. I'll stick with my full-size pickups, even if they don't look the part or have that cool factor, I get out and use them more, and I get out farther. And to me, that is the goal.

kodiak-black

Observer
I think it's all Pro's. I've owned them all as well, Jeep, Tacoma, Tundra and now my F150.

I think the compactness of some rigs is more of a novelty. Often they are over-packed, under-sprung and overweight. What you can carry safely in a full size rig, how safely you can carry it, the convenience of carrying it inside a larger cab is more valuable than simply being smaller and compact.

On a recent trip with some friends a buddy had a Tacoma DC set up pretty nice, but loaded down. Even with his rear overload springs it still drove around nose high and bottomed out frequently. Coming down on one of the main roads into the valley I could smell his brakes frying. He could feel them fading, bad.

It's an issue of 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lb. bag. My F150 hauled all of our stuff without issue. No racks needed (everything fit either in the cab or in the bed/shell), no roof top tent (slept in the bed/shell), he carried two 5 gallon gas cans (I have a 34 gallon tank), we did all the same trails and roads. In the end, he averaged 15 mpg, I averaged 13.8 mpg for the trip.

I'll take the size, utility, load carrying ability and V8 towing power over the very minor mileage penalty.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Seems like the F series truck is the go to full size platform. Not that I don't agree. I LOVE my FS Fords.

I've driven some midsize rigs before and while they're good for short trips and light loads, that's it. I would never load down a Cherokee that my dad drove the way I could my Bronco. Or my brother in law's Subaru like my old F150.

Again, its about people thinking they're gonna save money with something smaller, until that something smaller breaks and they shell out loads of $$$ to get it fixed. Even fuel costs aren't that much different, especially once you consider fuel mileage while fully loaded for a week at the lake. Your 22mpg Tacoma quickly goes down to 10-12 mpg when loaded with the same weight as an F150 that gets 18-20 mpg loaded. Its just all in how they were designed to perform.

As mentioned, you just have to plan ahead and know what you'll be doing with your rig. Of course, and I'd always tell people this, figure out what you'll need at the bare minimum, and then go a size or two bigger. Its better to have it an not need it than to need it and not have it.

zzz150

Adventurer
Again, its about people thinking they're gonna save money with something smaller, until that something smaller breaks and they shell out loads of $$$ to get it fixed. Even fuel costs aren't that much different, especially once you consider fuel mileage while fully loaded for a week at the lake. Your 22mpg Tacoma quickly goes down to 10-12 mpg when loaded with the same weight as an F150 that gets 18-20 mpg loaded. Its just all in how they were designed to perform.

agreed on the fuel mention here - had a tacoma reg cab 4cyl 5sp 4x4 ome lift and 32's, loaded got around 15mpg, maybe less. my ford 150 reg cab 4x4 with 2 inch lift and 33's gets same but has way more room and is way more comfortable and has an extra 200hp so i'm not fighting to go uphill or into strong headwinds. only thing i don't like is the extra width of the full size because i get into tight spots. one of which i don't fit anymore without massive body damage risk.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've got polar opposites....

Each one has it's place. I did a 13 day 2000+ mile trip out of the little flat fender. You just need to pack accordingly. My general point is that I think a lot of people just want to take too much stuff. Do we really need all that stuff?

Stoney126

Adventurer
qutejy9e.jpg

Im gonna try for both. Along time ago I would have avoided a full size due to what I thought have certain body damage but after reading and seeing what can with a full size. One con at least in Cal is you pay a weight penalty of about 200 bucks on at least 3/4 ton and higher, not sure about half tons

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

As usual, Metcalf has nailed it. If you want to go "hardcore" then you may want something smaller, but then you'll most likely be cramped and overloaded won't you??

zzz150

Adventurer
I've got polar opposites....

Each one has it's place. I did a 13 day 2000+ mile trip out of the little flat fender. You just need to pack accordingly. My general point is that I think a lot of people just want to take too much stuff. Do we really need all that stuff?

agreed on taking too much stuff, but on extended trips i like the ease of being able to sleep in my truck, especially in wet weather.

EMrider

Explorer
Good thread.

I camp with three kids and usually one dog. The thought of trying to pull that off in the Jeep makes me laugh. Yes, it can be done. But in the van we have plenty of room for gear, a good size fridge, porta potti, improved comfort, 2x the range and my SMB gets the same or better MPG (15.5ish) as the overloaded Jeep.

The Jeep's major advantages are the ride quality on washboard roads and maneuverability in tight spots.

There will always be trade off, but a full size rig will always come out way ahead for my needs.

Later this summer I am going to see how towing the Jeep works out.

R

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The OP says he's from Florida. The East Coast trails tend to be narrow, rocky and lined with trees. A full size rig would have trouble fitting through the tight spots. Out West, trails tend to be wider, with fewer trees. Just another factor to consider.

wolverine350r

Adventurer
qutejy9e.jpg

Im gonna try for both. Along time ago I would have avoided a full size due to what I thought have certain body damage but after reading and seeing what can with a full size. One con at least in Cal is you pay a weight penalty of about 200 bucks on at least 3/4 ton and higher, not sure about half tons

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Anything with a bed, from a VW rabbit pickup or El Camino up to a deuce and a half - but the cost does depend on vehicle weight. I have two half tons, one adds $80 a year, the other $180.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz