Pro and con of full size

ELOTESLOCO

Question - whats the con of expedition travel via say a 4 door full size truck... I know that its common practice to run suv or taco's but I was thinking 4wd full size trucks are common, I am 6'3" 275lbs and with a family, these suit my needs better. why aren't more people running full size trucks? what am I missing here?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I think the biggest concern is the size factor, with fuel economy being a distant second.

There are plenty of people making a full size work for them, just not as many as the smaller vehicle options.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I would say the biggest issue with the 4 door/crew cabs is turning radius. The '05 Fords are pretty decent now and the 3rd gen Dodges are as well. The IFS GM's have a horrible turning radius.

The other problem is the perceived width difference. Compare the average FS which runs in the neighborhood of 69" in width to a Taco or JK and most people are shocked to learn that there is only a 4-5" difference in width overall.

Run a FS if it works for you. I have taken mine everywhere and haven't really had a problem with the width. Now if you wheel in trees, that might be different, but in the southwest, width is rarely a problem.

Jack

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Wheel base is also usually a concern. It really depends on what type trails you plan to traverse. I upgraded from a 04 Ford Ranger to a 05 Toyota Tundra. I have the AC Tundra which is practically the same size as a current gen quad cab Tacoma. Trucks keep getting bigger so size also depends on how old the vehicle is. Earlier full size trucks are now the size of the "compact" trucks everyone lusts after. The main upgrade for me though has been the v8, I didn't know what I was missing.

Raul B

Explorer
I think it all depends on what type of overlanding you expect to do. I have only ran Full size rigs and i wouldnt have it any other way. has plenty of room for me and the family and you cant beat the cargo space in the bed. Take a look at my build thread to see what you can do with a CC F150. im nowhere near done but it will give you a good idea.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
To me there are no cons the benefits by far out way any negatives. I have room plenty of power and fuel economy is about the same as a mid size.

Clutch

<---Pass
Question - whats the con of expedition travel via say a 4 door full size truck... I know that its common practice to run suv or taco's but I was thinking 4wd full size trucks are common, I am 6'3" 275lbs and with a family, these suit my needs better. why aren't more people running full size trucks? what am I missing here?

Not missing a thing, just because a certain platform is popular doesn't mean it is the best thing for everyone. I have a Tacoma, tell ya it is great for light duty and running around town....it sucks for traveling. I tend to carry a lot of gear...it runs out of room and power real quick. Adding a fullsize back into the stable here real soon...sure do miss my F250.

Good reading on fullsizes in here. Funny thing...there is a mid-size in there, they consider it a weekend warrior. ;)

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have owned Jeeps, SUV's, mini and midsize trucks. My only regret with a fullsize is fuel cost. If you are on an extended trip and the weather turns bad, better hope you have the room to hang out in shelter. I have never understood the people who have to spread their entire gear out in the elements just to cook a meal. It may be fun in nice weather but if it's raining, windy or snowing, it sucks!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have full size crew cab short box and love it. I also have 2 scouts and a Nissan on 38s. On any trip more than over night I take my super duty. Other than hard core rock crawling my super duty goes every where. I have run many trails in my super duty.

Yes she is big but it fits almost every where and I can play cards at minus 20 in the snow.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I think the main reasons people avoid FS rigs are due to several misconceptions.

1. Fuel economy; I drive a 91' Bronco with 302 V8 and I can get 12 mpg city and 22 mpg highway in it. My old 91' F150 with the I6 300 got even better. And with current technologies, the MPGs just keep getting higher.

2. Maneuverability: Most people assume that a big vehicle can't turn as tightly or be as maneuverable as a smaller rig, and they're mostly true. However, the difference between midsized rigs and FS rigs is so small, that the difference is minute, if there is any difference at all. In fact, my old F150 long bed could out maneuver my brother in law's Subaru any day of the week. (He's a city boy, so I try not to rub it in too much.)

3. Safety: "How can that huge thing be safe?" FS rigs tend to be built like tanks. If you do get into an accident, you're more likely to survive one. I've heard so many stories about how people survived accidents only because they were driving something big. Anything smaller and they'd be dead.

4. Comfort: "I bet that thing bounces and shakes like a mother." Obviously not true. Some rigs with solid front axles do have some comfort issues, but for the most part, the suspensions on these babies is actually fairly smooth. In fact, my mother, who hated driving any sort of truck because of this misconception, actually enjoyed driving my old F150. She said it was smoother than the Pontiac Vibe she was driving at the time. Not bad for a 20 year old rust bucket.

5. Too much truck: "I'll never need that much space!" Personally, I'm of the "better to have it an not need it" viewpoint on this. But as mentioned before, its nice to be able to have someplace to take shelter during bad weather. Granted, a truck seat isn't the most comfortable bed you can have, but it beats sleeping on damp, frozen, rocky or muddy ground.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
My full size suburban does everything I ask it too, it goes everywhere I ask it to go. It pulls everything I ask it to bull. Only downside is in the winter I get about 9-10 miles per gallon, in the summer I can get upwards of 13-14 mpg.

To get better gas mileage I would need to buy a much more recent vehicle, costing well over $25k used. $25k buys a lot of gas so I'll stick with what I got.

I love how much it holds and how much it tows.

mburrows

I've spent a month camping out of a 99 extended cab Tacoma and a 98 GMC Suburban. They both have the obvious advantages, Tacoma being lighter and smaller makes for offroading/parking/unstucking much easier. Suburban has the covered space for storage and can be accessed from the cab making grabbing a beverage from the cooler very easy. It all comes back to what you think you need and what you actually need. I found I could do without half the crap I put in the Suburban when I was in the Taco. I also found I could find a way to offroad in the larger vehicle.

For my upcoming trip to Central America and beyond I am taking the Suburban because the extra space will be nice. The bed is in the back so I don't have to set up a tent and a fridge to keep the beer cold. I'm sure there will be a time or two when the dirt tracks narrow and I think "well wouldn't that slim taco be nice right now" but I'm planning for the 95% of the time when having some storage at the cost of a few more points in my turns.

I agree with EricM what you already own is usually cheaper than buying a specialized rig. Unless you are doing an expedition to the north pole or across the Gobi desert stick with something simple that fits 95% of your specific needs. The rest is about compromise.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have owned Jeeps, SUV's, mini and midsize trucks. My only regret with a fullsize is fuel cost. If you are on an extended trip and the weather turns bad, better hope you have the room to hang out in shelter. I have never understood the people who have to spread their entire gear out in the elements just to cook a meal. It may be fun in nice weather but if it's raining, windy or snowing, it sucks!

I get a bit tired of hauling the camper around all the time,but when we do get out the ten minute setup and maybe 20 minute repak is sure nice. And then there's that bed up there!

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I used to do allmy travling in a 72 scout, went as far as putting ac in it, and upgading the factory 258, to a 89 4.0 efi motor. Got real tiered of having to unpack the old girl so I could sleep at night. Now its a 97 f250 sc psd with a palomino slide in, so much more comfy and I dont go rock crawling with it so it goes where I want it to.
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior