Xrunner's Kamparoo Build

Xrunner

Explorer
Just wanted to introduce my new (to me at least) 2006 Kamparoo Vacationer.

Kamparoo_zpsd84db431.jpg

It arrived last week from a RV dealership in Phoenix and I finally had a chance to open it up this morning...
kamparooopen_zps3c72bdc2.jpg

As you can see Dog is happy we take his camping comfort seriously and bought him a Kamparoo. He would like to avoid any future repeats of the below with white fuffy stuff that turns cold and wet when it lands on you!

expo23_zpsf845b895.jpg

Special thanks to WookinPaNub for his trailer selection thread and Glen at Kamparoo in Canada for all the info on ordering new. A new one with all the bells and whistles still might find it's way down to Colorado in a couple years!

A few other Kamparoo threads I stumbled across that are worth checking out: kevint's Trans-Continental, jmaxch's Trans-Continental, and mmuthart's Kamparoo project thread I plan to borrow some ideas from for future "upgrades." :D

On a lot of build threads I often wonder if a similar build is in my budget... below is a running parts list. Not counted is endless hours of labor and the requisite microbrews. :)

2014:
$2,500 - Kamparoo (after a lot of negotiating)
$500 - Tax & Shipping
$212 - Tongue Box
$20 - AL L channel and attachment hardware
$36 - Velcro, Zipper Parts, Scrap Canvas
$11 - Assorted screws and hardware

2015:
$470 - Canvas updates and repair

2016:
$50 - Light repairs/upgrades

$300 - Registration/new plats (lifetime total)

$4,069 - Running total as of 08.15.15

2016 Winter Budget:
$500 - Steel for new frame
$1,000 - New suspension w/ brakes
$500 - New rims/tires (leaning towards a 6-lug Toyota pattern)
$500 - New electrical components... LED lights/water pump, air, etc

Last edited:

Xrunner

Explorer
Checking the fit for a tongue box. Anything involving the Escape and Kamparoo must mean we are going camping, right? Dog will just load himself up to avoid being forgotten...
K3_zpsfbe260eb.jpg

After a couple hours of work the realty that there is no camping trip today sets in. This door goes to the air conditioning, right?
k4_zps7b05e46f.jpeg

To avoid weakening the tongue I bolted some aluminum L channel down using U bolts and then bolted the channel to the box with fender washers.
k5_zpsa65ae804.jpeg

Deschutes

Congrats!

I had been looking at that one for a while and trying to talk the wife into it. Alas, my loss is your gain. Can't wait to see what you are going to do with it. :sombrero:

Xrunner

Explorer
Thanks! It's going to be a fun build for sure.

Deschutes, if it makes you feel any better it definitely turned out to be a project trailer. The previous owner did very little if any maintenance so there are a ton of little things that need to be done. Unless you don't like functioning zippers and want to attract mosquitos to keep as pets? :D

Last weekend's quick shakedown trip...
photoJPG_zps75894689.jpeg

Last edited:

Deschutes

I'm sure you will do a better job with it than me. Glad to see someone on ExPo got it so I can follow along. Cheers. :beer:

lqhikers

Adventurer
kamparoo build

will be watching what you do with your "roo".
Maybe we need to start a kamparoo thread.!

we are on our 2nd roo upgraded to later model with larger wheels,
had a early motorcycle model with green and orange canvas (Aussie colors)

now have a cub,tow it for base camp use with transit tc and still get 27mpg.

no dog,but our cat loves it.

les lqhikers

Attachments

• P1020288.JPG
    P1020288.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 66

Xrunner

Explorer
Les, that's a great looking setup you have! You definitely should start a thread on your trailer and adventures... they are neat little trailers and I've found that a lot of people have never seen a tent trailer quite like the Kamparoo.

What kind of basket do you have on the tongue?

Xrunner

Explorer
We took the Kamparoo out for the first time this year in June before pulling the canvas for some updates and repairs.

Buying the trailer out of state the dealer was less than honest about the condition of a few things, such as the zippers and screens.
1_zps70z14fli.jpg

While the screens were functional the were starting to show signs of wear.
2_zpsz2vvq5lz.jpg

Working alone it took me about 90 minutes to remove the canvas from the body.
3_zpsc9yu1cui.jpg

4_zps39j7pyau.jpg

And now, we wait. :)

WFOORBUST

Not a kamparoo but I did pickup a Aussie swag from a member in Colorado. Drove out and got it last week. Its a 1997, in pretty good shape.

I will post up some more with it open.

WFOORBUST

more pics

A few with it open.

Need to install a box on the front, flush the water tank and install some batteries. So far we like it. I used a friends kamparoo for years but he wouldn't sell it. I came across the Aussie swag after a member answered my want add, glad he did!

Xrunner

Explorer
Looks great, WFOORBUST. You should definitely post up a build thread with details on it and what you do. Does it have the under bed storage you can access from the back outside of the trailer?

With that large box I put on mine the tongue weight increases really fast making it so you can't store a lot of heave stuff (like water and batteries). I've been planning a rear swing out to help with this... but I'm thinking that retrofit might be a good "reason" to build a new frame too.

mmuthart's build is a great read... and will plant some project ideas for sure!

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles