Let's take a walk...

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
Oh man, I really do need to get some interior shots up! Thanks for the kind words, guys. How's yours treated you, Eric? I'd be interested to hear how it's held up and under what type of use!

jerdog53

Explorer
attachment.php

I like this idea!

EricG

Explorer
She's been from the east coast to flagstaff. I bought her in Wilmington nc moved to Atlanta to Albuquerque back to Tennessee. 3 power steering pumps 2 due to cold weather a hub and so forth. Little odds and ends but wouldn't trade it for the world

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
It's been a while. Here's the rest...

IMG_2599 (1).jpg
The cockpit. From the top down, the Garmin NUVI is hard-wired to the fuse panel below the steering column, which frees up the cigarette lighter for two usb charging outputs. Alpine head unit with CD player (CDs???) and aux cable which I plug my phone, iPad or laptop into. Yaesu 7900 Ham radio. This is the remote head, which I fabbed a bracket for and mounted on the trim piece below the climate control unit. The mic is on the left side of the console, which is great for keeping it out of the way when not in use. On the trail, I find it draped over my right leg most of the time.
IMG_2600 (1).jpg
The back seats have been out for years and I don't miss them a bit. I retained the mounting bolts and put in rock climbing bolt hangers on the floor for lashing down gear. When loaded, I use ratcheting tie-down straps from these hangers all the way up over the top of our cargo and down to the rear floor tie-down d-rings. The blue backpack is my medical gear (I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic), the olive-colored roll on the floor is my tool kit, my recovery gear is in the middle, with rain gear in the driver's seat back and an assortment of DeLorme atlases in the passenger's seat back. The black box on top of the rear drawer system is an Alpine sub-woofer, with an Alpine single channel amp attached. The entire sub box unplugs and comes out to make more room for trips by releasing the turnbuckles (silver hardware) which hold it down in under 30 seconds.

IMG_2602 (1).jpg

Lots of eye candy here. Nylon pouches for pressure gauge beer coozies and extra tent stakes, ARB deflators, FRS radios, bottle opener, 3D LED MagLite, and misc in the door pocket.

IMG_2603 (1).jpg

EdgeStar fridge and drawer system that I built. It's all modular. The fridge and drawers are each anchored with turnbuckles, allowing for easy removal if needed. The 12v fridge power comes through the right rear vent, and remains unplugged when not in use. Wool blanket, table cloth and waxed canvas tarp tuck nicely to the side, and the gap on the right side fits a two-burner Primus stove securely.

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
IMG_2604 (1).jpg
Open drawers. Left: Small Duraflame firestarters, assortment of ZipLocs and trash bags, maul, razor saw and pruning shears. Dry food items occupy this space during trips. Right: Everything for cooking, camp lighting, spare batteries, freedom press for coffee, wine aerator, knives, utensils, spices and oils, cutting board, stainless wine glasses. Let me know if you'd like to see everything out of the drawer. It's pretty eye-opening what fits in there!

IMG_2605 (1).jpg
When in camp, a table sits on the right, with the stove deployed.

IMG_2606 (1).jpg
The Ham antenna. This is a non-radiating model, which actually works great in that location. SWR is just very slightly above zero on 2m, but ain't great on 70cm (does anyone use 70?). The best thing about this mounting location is that the truck fits in the garage with no fiddling and I don't have to worry about overhead tree clearance on the trail. Simplex range is over 13 miles to the front of the truck! My shovel is now mounted to the rack upright towers with QuickFist clamps. I broke my rear wiper arm with it in the previous location, tucked between the door and the spare.

redriderrick

VERY DISCO
IMG_2610 (1).jpg
My recovery gear bag. This thing's really evolved over the years and except for the pickets (1" stakes), is probably as light as it's ever been. Included are a tow strap with locking carabiners, two tree straps with pulleys and shackles preconnected, Hi LIft Lift-Mate, top and bottom attachments for Hi Lift jack (stored inside, away from sticky fingers), assorted 1" webbing, Warn winch hook (I almost NEVER use this), and two short stakes for the picket system. Keep an eye out for a post on how to build a picket system later.

IMG_2608 (1).jpg
I like labeling things. The "6600 lbs" on the tow strap serves as a good reminder when you're trying to figure out what to hook it to when recovering someone's vehicle. Note detail of preconnected pulley to tree strap. Pliers are helpful for sticky d-shackles after they've been loaded heavily by a pull, and keep me from having to pull out the tool kit.

IMG_2609 (1).jpg

IMG_2611 (1).jpg
Accessory cord helps you locate the jack base after it gets buried in sand, mud or snow. Seriously! This gets stored in one of my rear side compartments, since there's no room in the bag.

IMG_2612 (1).jpg
I like to keep the tow strap stored on top because it's almost always my first choice. It's fast, simple and usually the safest recovery tool. This one's full of cactus spines and pine needles, so I either need to replace it or get thicker gloves!

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
Great post. I don't know how I missed this when you first posted.
After doing a trip together and seeing everything packed in and packed up on the trail, it was interesting to see the "exploded" views in this post. Thanks for the many good ideas that I hope to borrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94