Going Bush - Iveco 4x4 and custom camper

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.goingbush.com/iveco.html

Here's a link to an interesting personal build of an Iveco Daily 4x4 and custom camper. The builder is Australian Don Incoll.
The web site has a diary-style blog. The entries in May 2014 describe travels around western Australia. Worth a look!

The web site also has reports of lengthy trips in 2010 and 2013, showing how Incoll came to the decision to start full time life on the road.

objet

I'm sure I saw him heading north as I was returning to Perth from Cervantes on Sunday.
Certainly didn't have any trouble pulling the caravan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Awesome truck.

What was the issue with the transfercase?

It's awesome they sent a team to fix it, but not breaking down in the first place would be way better.

Goingbush

Awesome truck.

What was the issue with the transfercase?

It's awesome they sent a team to fix it, but not breaking down in the first place would be way better.

could not agree more!!

They won't tell us what the fault with that particular transfer case was. But there have been a number of failures and it appears that a circlip holding the low range planetary cluster onto the input shaft fails. Photos Ive seen show blueing of the metal in that area. There is a document from SCAM, the TC manufacturers (appropriate name) pointing out that lower RPM need to be maintained in low range , with a chart showing RPM limit per Gear used, but this does not appear in any iveco documentation.

My testing , and reports from other owners with pyro gauges fitted, shows the oil overheats and burns = specified oil is inappropriate as the oil foams and TC overheats, a Full Synth GL5 with an anti foam agent as well as an external oil pump / cooler /filter stops the oil breaking down. So far all the failures are running mineral oil and no cooler.

Iveco say they are "working on resolving the issue" and still keep throwing $15,000 TC's at the trucks, I do agree a properly engineered solution would be preferable to having to add a remote cooler.

OK if you are in warranty, get a free TC ! but out of warranty = out of pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz