PNW RTT Questions

SeattleFJs

Observer
Looking for those experienced with camping in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, during off-season months especially. We are buying a RTT here very soon and I'm having a really difficult time deciding which route to go. I really like the design of the fold-open soft top tents but I feel like a hard pop-up style might be a wiser choice.

Does anyone have any recommendation as to rain/wind use of the soft-top tents (like the Eezi-Awn Series 3) vs. the hard shell tents (like the Maggiolina or Baroud)?
It'll be going on a fairly built 80-series Landcruiser with a Bajarack.

Thanks.

Dusty Grin

Observer
I have a seasonal (summer) business so most of my camping is done in the winter in sloppy, cold weather. I'll camp up high on Mt. Hood and wake up to snow and hail storms as well as days of pouring rain.

I also happened to have an Eezi Awn 1200 and a Maggiolina (small) both, so I can speak directly to this. In fact I love both so much I'm having a hard time putting the Eezi Awn for sale.

The Eezi Awn flaps a bit in heavy wind so I just button down the rain fly (on the windward side) and remove the poles and it's quiet. It's very waterproof and breathes great. It feels larger inside than the Maggiolina and sitting up and moving around is much easier. When I'm taking my son camping I prefer the Eezi awn and he does too. The biggest negative is once you're used to the almost instant setup/take-down of a hard shell tent, you get spoiled. So dealing with the straps and cover, and tucking in material with cold/numb hands is a bummer. Plus permanently leaving the bulkier, folding tent up top with a cover that eventually will fade from the sun isn't as appealing. The Eezi Awn is more family friendly though in my opinion.

The Maggiolina is a rock in the storms. It barely moves in heavy gusts and has never leaked a drop. It's my first choice when camping alone. It's cozy with two people but feels more like a bed on top of the truck than a room for hanging out in like the larger Eezi Awn. And of course it just cranks up in seconds and down in a couple minutes. It stays on top of the truck all the time and doesn't affect my mileage much.

Both tents have excellent stitching and construction. Like, really good stitching. I can appreciate this because I've also owned some Chinese tents that lacked in this area substantially.

Hope this helps!

SeattleFJs

Observer
I have a seasonal (summer) business so most of my camping is done in the winter in sloppy, cold weather. I'll camp up high on Mt. Hood and wake up to snow and hail storms as well as days of pouring rain.

I also happened to have an Eezi Awn 1200 and a Maggiolina (small) both, so I can speak directly to this. In fact I love both so much I'm having a hard time putting the Eezi Awn for sale.

The Eezi Awn flaps a bit in heavy wind so I just button down the rain fly (on the windward side) and remove the poles and it's quiet. It's very waterproof and breathes great. It feels larger inside than the Maggiolina and sitting up and moving around is much easier. When I'm taking my son camping I prefer the Eezi awn and he does too. The biggest negative is once you're used to the almost instant setup/take-down of a hard shell tent, you get spoiled. So dealing with the straps and cover, and tucking in material with cold/numb hands is a bummer. Plus permanently leaving the bulkier, folding tent up top with a cover that eventually will fade from the sun isn't as appealing. The Eezi Awn is more family friendly though in my opinion.

The Maggiolina is a rock in the storms. It barely moves in heavy gusts and has never leaked a drop. It's my first choice when camping alone. It's cozy with two people but feels more like a bed on top of the truck than a room for hanging out in like the larger Eezi Awn. And of course it just cranks up in seconds and down in a couple minutes. It stays on top of the truck all the time and doesn't affect my mileage much.

Both tents have excellent stitching and construction. Like, really good stitching. I can appreciate this because I've also owned some Chinese tents that lacked in this area substantially.

Hope this helps!

That really helps, thanks. One of my concerns with the Eezi-Awn is those flaps and the poles in the wind. I guess it does make sense just to close everything up instead. Couple of quick questions:
1. Do you find it at all frustrating that there isn't a way to unzip the windows on the Maggiolina when it's raining?
2. How long does it take to dry the Eezi-Awn out after a rainy trip?

java

Expedition Leader
Drying the tent in the winter is the only problem for me. Its not like there are always sunny days to open it up in the winter around here. And it doesn't fit in my garage.

But i have been very happy with my CVT. Went though a SERIOUS thunderstorm two weeks ago, and stayed dry, other than the changing room leaking a little.

Dusty Grin

Observer
That really helps, thanks. One of my concerns with the Eezi-Awn is those flaps and the poles in the wind. I guess it does make sense just to close everything up instead. Couple of quick questions:
1. Do you find it at all frustrating that there isn't a way to unzip the windows on the Maggiolina when it's raining?
2. How long does it take to dry the Eezi-Awn out after a rainy trip?

1. You know I actually only hang out in the Maggiolina when I'm ready to watch a movie and go to sleep. By the way, a laptop balances perfectly on the cross bars at the end of the Maggi. When it's raining and light out, I hang out under the awning outside with the Campfire in a can right under there with me. So it hasn't bothered me yet. The mosquito screen actually keeps light rain from really blowing in a bit.

2. Drying out the Eezi Awn in our climate in the winter is a bear. I put it away wet for the duration of our short trips and leave it open in the shop after I take it off the truck again. This is definitely a disadvantage of the soft, fold-out tents. Staring out the window in the rain is more fun in the eezi awn though, and it's a more "cabin-like" feel since it's so spacious.

You only need to button down one side of the rain fly when it's blowing in the Eezi Awn. Just the side with the wind and the other side stays up allowing access from the ladder and even a view if it's not too nasty.

As far as mattress comfort goes, the Maggiolia is a bit more comfortable to me. It's softer but the Eezi awn is also fairly comfortable. This, coming from a guy who can sleep on anything though.

The zippers on the Eezi Awn are terrific and the mosquito netting is thick and durable. The zippers on the Maggiolina are surprisingly small but of decent quality. I HAVE broke one though. I'd be surprised if I could break one on the Eezi Awn. They are beefy and easy to grab with cold fingers. Much more robust zipper teeth as well.

Hope this helps. I have lots more info if needed.

SeattleFJs

Observer
Thanks again. I'm leaning toward the Eezi-Awn. The Autohome Overland and Baroud Nomad 160 just caught my attention as well though...

Geodoc

Adventurer
Summers are usually pretty dry, but if you plan on camping on the Olympic Peninsula, you can expect a lot of rain (hard rain, gully washer rain, Noahkian flood type rain). East side of the mountains are usually pretty dry and hot, were talking desert hot. Consider where you plan on camping and then decide what you'll need.

Dusty Grin

Observer
If I didn't setup camp just before dark on my trips I would use the Eezi Awn more. If you are staying put for a bit then the spacious foldouts would be best I think. I need quick, simple setup often times after dark. There is also a wide range of stability (flapping in wind) among the fold-out brands.

Good luck!

SeattleFJs

Observer
I camp all over. I live in Seattle so the peninsula, East of the mountains, Mojave Desert, Moab, CA coast. Done all in the last year and a half.
I'll be at Overland Rally. Hoping to bring my new tent. :)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Setting it up to dry after a winter camping adventure is not fun... We use an ARB tent and love it! That thing is bomb proof :)
As other mentioned, in cold weather it's a pain to fold/stuff/zip everything up... On thing we REALLY like about ours is the overhang and anex at the rear of the vehicle. It makes for a great shelter and change room. You can get in your tent dry!

Attachments

• P4190047.jpg
    P4190047.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2717.jpg
    IMG_2717.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles