How strong is the 80's roof?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I have seen some interesting photos out there, of people loading up their roofs with spare tires, or actually standing on their roof.

How strong is the roof, actually? Is it designed for these kind of loads, or is it just a case of people doing it and who knows if they're actually caving it in...?

Thanks!

NM-Frontier

Explorer
The rain gutters are supper strong, were most roof racks mount, so you can get away with a lot. But I'm not sure how strong the actual roof is. Always play it safe and use the appropriate roof rack.

Arktikos

Explorer
With a rack you should be able to load a lot of weight on top. Look at the sixty series on the right of this photo.

Attachments

• land cruiser roof.jpg
    land cruiser roof.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 44

djsixbillion

Adventurer
With a gutter-mounted rack, yes - plenty strong. Without it, the roof itself is quite weak in terms of vertical loading. I've got a small dent in mine from stupidly putting my knee up there while wrestling with a bike rack.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Nope, not hosting a dance, haha...!

On some other trucks, which do not have factory rear-mounted spare tires, expo guys commonly put the spare flat on the roof. I was wondering if this is a viable (ie. strong enough) location for a spare 285/75 tire/wheel. I have seen photos of people doing it.... but doing it isn't the same as it being a good idea. If the roof is sturdy enough, then it would be a great location in a pinch.

ab1985

Explorer
The reason is ask is even without a rack you've got to strap that sucker down tight. Just off the cuff, I'd say the proper amount of force via a ratchet strap would be enough to damage the roof if the tire is being cinched down against its surface.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I was thinking to put one crossbar all the way forward, one all the way back, put the wheel/tire between the two, and strap it down using the crossbars' anchor points.

brentbba

Explorer
The OEM roof rack is 'rated' for 100lbs. Given the weight of the tire/rim, plus add'l force of wind, etc. I don't know that I'd want to put a good sized tire on the OEM rack strapped down on the OEM rails for a long trip.

As others have said, gutter mount roof racks can be very, very strong. INTI rack I have up top is extremely strong. Not on mine, but the original importer (LACABRA) had for or five of us on his rack during a photo shoot at Pismo Beach years ago. Two of these guys are well north of 250 lbs, maybe 300 (and I think I might be somewhat kind there!), couple more of us at 200 lbs, etc. You get the picture.

Seeker

Adventurer
The roof itself must be able to support the weight of the vehicle in the event of a rollover in order to pass US safety standards. That only really speaks to structure, however. The roof racks are not always tied in to the structure such that they will support heavy loads or may not be built of material engineered for large loads hence why aftermarket racks tie in at the gutters.

When you see someone carrying a heavy load on the roof they are not use g the factory load bars.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. Do the gutter mounts have rubber feet to protect the gutters themselves?

On ARB Roof Rack they are made of heavy steel, however they come with some small rectangular rubber so you do not get any vibrations transfered to the roof of the vehicle.I had my roof rack for a long time and I do not have any issues at all with the rain gutters!

100_3679-X3.jpg

Seeker

Adventurer
My FrontRunner rack on my FJ62 did not come with rubber for the feet, however I have a sheet of thin neoprene I'm going to cut custom rubber boots from.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The factory "luggage rack" that came on many 80s is... mostly for lookin' at. Get rid of and seal up the mounting holes well.
The rain gutters are a different story. That is where vehicles used to have the top and sides of the body basically crimped together- like a can of Spam. that makes it about as strong an interface to the body as you can get. Also, because of their ubiquitous nature, rain gutter mount load bars are cheap and readily available. They're even easy to make (with some fab skills). If a basket or other system isn't in your near future, get some gutter mount load bars and throw the tire on those. Keep in mind though, that weight on the roof is bad for handling and fitting underneath stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior