Dust proof truck canopy?

GregSplett

Adventurer
First off I have to say this is the best website I have ever found!You will be seeing-hearing from me a lot in the future.I have an 08 F150 xlt supercab and a 93 suby wagon all used extensivly to explore and enjoy the outdoors.Thanks to all the inspiration and sharing of info here I will be building a small trailer to haul gear with the kitchen built in.I will post a build on that soon.

My truck has a matching smoke grey ARE canopy.The reason I want the trailer is that I have 4 dogs that go exploring with us.Two ride up front and two in the back.Of course we spend a good amount of time on dry dusty roads.last year I took the canopy off and replaced the rubber seals on the sides and added one on the head of the bed.I bought and installed rubber for the tail gate also.Still get more dust than I am comfortable with the dogs breathing.

You guys have anything you guys do extra to seal off the bed from dust?Any special gaskets you like better then others.Anybody played around with positive venilation?any help would be greatly appreciated in advance before I spend any more money!

mastersryan

Adventurer
Does your cap "wrap" around the edges of the bed? Almost overlapping the bed? I had a good amount of dust/dirt getting into my bed from the sand/dirt roads down here also. I put rubber on the lower tailgate and also the sides and that seemed to do the trick for the most part. Do you have any type of bed liner? If you have the drop in OEM liner check behind it as there are some holes in the front of the bed and make sure they are sealed. The only other thing that comes to my head is the rear wheel wells, I know the wheel well liners are optional for most the newer trucks and if you don't have them that could be the issue.

WILLD420

Observer
The major problem you will always have is that the air going over the back of the truck creates a vacuum that literally sucks the air inside the camper.

Sealing things up will help a lot, but until you get that vacuum thing worked out, it's always going to have suction pulling dirty air into the camper. Sometimes air deflectors will help once you get some speed, but at walking speeds that dust will find the smallest hole and exploit it.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I've found that dust, water and Mosquitos get in from under the bed sides (rear wheel wells). I used foam squares to seal the gaps.

GregSplett

Adventurer
This is why I am starting to think positive ventilation.A couple scoops up front on sides above the windows.Find something that was closable.Something to force air into the space to equalize the pressure. i have thought for a while that without the pressure difference there would be no dust.Sometimes though I can think too much and miss the basics.Thanks for some confirmation.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Last night I went out after dark and threw a couple of halligeon work lights underneath the truck.The bed construction is actually seamed and I could see light in most of the seams.Explains why there is dust under the camping gear stowed in the front.I am going to seal all that tonight from underneath.I am surprised that the spray on bedliner did not seal it off.I think i will just use spray foam from underneath.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Kind of what I did the other night in reverse.I was going to go get her dusty this weekend but it is raining.Told the wife that I was going to ride back there for a while to see what I could learn.

We have an rv place here in town that is really helpfull when it comes to sourcing parts.I thought of one of those I just do not like how it will look,thanks though.

Now those oblong scoops in black I think are perfect.forward and up top of the canopy,filter on the inside.Thanks for finding those for me,that is exactly what I was thinking.in black I do not think they will detract from the good looks either.Thanks again guys for the input!I will get back to ya on how they work.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
The major problem you will always have is that the air going over the back of the truck creates a vacuum that literally sucks the air inside the camper.

Sealing things up will help a lot, but until you get that vacuum thing worked out, it's always going to have suction pulling dirty air into the camper. Sometimes air deflectors will help once you get some speed, but at walking speeds that dust will find the smallest hole and exploit it.

Exactly. The back of my van gets amazingly dusty.

Isn't that why they used to put these wings on the old suburban? To force air down and out, not letting it create the aerodynamic backdraft?

image.jpg

GregSplett

Adventurer
I Have added those to a couple of my old Subaru's.Made a huge difference in the amount of dust that would get stuck on the back of the car.Without one you could not see out the back in short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94