Questions on a 1996 Suburban

PolarrrBearrr

Hey all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been driving a Chevy 1500 pickup for a while now, and its great, but its really a street truck. Extended cab, no 4x4, suspension is shot, not trailer hitch.

At any rate, she runs great, but I needed something with more doors and 4x4, with preferably heavier suspension. Along comes the opportunity to buy a 1996 Suburban 2500 with a 350 and the heavier duty trans. There is a minor mechanical issue with it (I need to replace the steering pump, which it came with a replacement) but the larger issue is that the vehicle was a fleet vehicle for years, with a pretty bare bones interior - manual windows, manual door locks, no AC, no overhead console, etc.

Now, the guy I got it from had started tearing out the original interior to swap in a new interior with AC, PW, PL and the rest. I have all the parts I need to do this, but I am unsure of the AC. I've put AC components into and out of an engine bay (that's the easier part) but I've never had to deal with a vehicle this large. I have the ducting that goes into the ceiling, all the controls, as well as the correct headliner. I don't have the rear lower box that sits in the PS rear wheel well area. Other than the pig tails for all the electronics, is there anything else I'm missing? Has anyone done this swap before?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - even if it is sending me to another forum specifically for Suburbans or something.

Thanks for the help!

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Dual zone or just dash AC? If it is dual zone there is a second condenser all the way in the back of the burb. The lines that run to it are part hard line and part hose. There is over a dozen fittings alone for the four hoses (2 AC hoses and 2 heater hoses). I just had them replaced as that is where the leak was, it took the shop 2 guys over three days and over $800 to get it done.

So there is that.

If it is just front dash air then the parts needed are all kept in the passenger side foot well with the condenser under the hood just on the otherwise of the firewall.

Dual zone complicates the issue greatly.

PolarrrBearrr

I was thinking that I want the dual zone for a variety of reasons, the biggest being that it is such a huge space to cool off. Since its not a priority right now (he says, until the first 90 degree day in NJ) I'll acquire parts in bits and pieces.

Judging from the huge pile of interior parts that came with the truck, it looks as thought I am missing the rear condenser / heater, the lines to the engine bay, and all the parts in the engine bay for the front AC. I have all the controls and ducting, but I'm not seeing the wiring for the controls - which I'm guessing I'll need to get when I get that rear condenser.

I think I need to find someone parting one out around here and get the whole shebang in one swipe.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94