Equipt's Alaska Solo Trek June/July 2014

el_topu

Adventurer
Great report!

Been thinking about making this trip from Mexico to Alaska in the summer of 2016 or 2017, around how much $ did you spent on gas? if you don't mind asking

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey Guys,

Sorry Mikespeed, for the delay in reply. I didn't know there had been a post on here.

Anyway, gas then is a bit different than gas now. I saw pricing anywhere from $3.60 to $7.00 a gallon. So where you go will swing the scales some. I drove a little over 10,000 miles on this adventure. I am away from my notes, but I believe I came in somewhere a little south of $2,800 in gas. Right now, I bet you could do this trip for around $1,600.

The super easy way to calculate it would be Mapquest. Start where you are, and end in Fairbanks AK. They even estimate gas for you. Add 30-40% to whatever they say, for odd rambling and that should be close.

Total trip cost is going to vary tremendously too. Plane rides, helicopter rides, flying in co-pilots, hotel stays, ferry rides blah blah. All those things mess with a budget fast. Cheapo route would put you there and back now for around $3K. I have been afraid to add mine up, to tell you the truth. I think I was in the northern $6K range. The ferry ride alone was over $1,500. It's all a matter of what you deem important. What I did was entirely selfish. I did everything I wanted to do because I knew it would be some time before I return. There are just to many other adventures out there, so I worked it as hard as I could while I was there and am still paying it off. Depending on who you talk to, my priorities are either spot on or really messed up.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles