Equipt's Alaska Solo Trek June/July 2014

zzz150

Adventurer
have a great trip! looking forward to moving my northern solo thread to in progress shortly myself, who knows, maybe your thread will prompt me to hit alaska while doing yukon this summer!

60toyetero

Adventurer
Paul- When you come through the Columbia Gorge area let me know. I’m in Portland and friends and I would enjoy hearing your stories as well as hitting some must forest roads and hikes. Enjoy your travels! Mine are soon to come :smiley_drive:

smittycrusher

Adventurer
Paul,

This is going the be epic. Kuddos to you! I look forward to following along through your high quality writing and photagraphy.

Safe travels,

Scott

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon
Mile 120

What an incredible way to start off a trip. Within 2 hours of Prescott is the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. On my way north, I am attempting to bag as many National Parks as I can. First stop was the south rim. As proof of my exploits, I am getting a photo of the 4Runner by each park sign. Selfish, I know. But it is proof. I love the grand vistas, but not a fan of the crowds. Or the speed of which I am flying through these incredible icons of America. Here is a couple shots as I whiz through.

photo 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Cheers,

Equipt

Zion National Park

Zion National Park
Mile 360

Second stop on my whirlwind tour, Zion National Park. I headed our of Grand Canyon to the east entance, north and northwest passed the North Rim Grand Canyon entrance at Jacob Lake, and around to the west entrance of Zion. Springdale UT has always a favorite of mine. Great little town, getting overwhelmed by commercial activity. The Zion Canyon is georgeous. You look down at the GC, you look up at Zion. Awe inspiring terrain. Maybe next time I can stop and enjoy it more. I headed to the east entrance of the park through the long tunnel built back in the 1930s, I believe.

photo 3.JPG

STREGA

Explorer
Paul, saw you as you came through the entrance gate at the Grand Canyon, I was driving the shuttle bus just in front of you. Have a safe and fun journey!

Equipt

Sorry I didn't see you. You should have slammed on the breaks and waved.

Cheers,

Equipt

Bryce Canyon NP

Bryce Canyon NP
Mile 450

I was able to make it Bryce Canyon NP for sunset. Third part in the first day. Bryce is at a much higher altitude, up closer to 8,000 ft. The colors are unlike anywhere else. The formations are breath taking too.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

I was in the park a little less than an hour. Shame. It deserves more than that.

Cheers,

Equipt

Capital Reef NP

Capital Reef NP
Mile 520

After a crazy long first day, I found my way to one of my favorite camp spot in Southern Utah. It's a half mile off State Road 12, just east of the town of Escalante. I've taken a few folks there. To my amazement, it was empty. I arrived just before dark, in time to get the tent open, a chair out to watch the full moon rise to the east. Not a bad first day at all.

Up before dawn, waiting for that magical hour for photos. Here are a few of the site.

_MG_6547.JPG_MG_6588.JPG

Packed and off down the road by 8:00 am, heading east. SR12 is perhaps the prettiest paved road in Utah. It stretches from just west of Bryce to a town called Torrey, right through the middle of the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. It doesn't be much more dramatic that this. The 2 lane road winds its way several different layers of sandstone, climbing up to a ridge known as Hell's Backbone. At one point it is on to of a ridge not much wider than the road with cliffs on either side. I took a right at Burr Trail turnoff, and headed east into the back door of Capital Reef NP. The road turns to dirt at the park entrance. I made my way down Muley Twist switchbacks and north to the the park east entrance.

_MG_6629.JPG_MG_6634.JPG

From there I made a bee line to Ray's Tavern in Green River UT. Green River is a dusty little stop with one of my favorite restaurants in it. It's where all the river rats, Lake Powell boaters, dirt bike and Harley guys, and the Moab wheeling folks stop in for a good meal on the road to or from somewhere else. I've been to Ray's no fewer than a half dozen times a year, some years up to 20-30 times, for the last 25 years. Iconic, for me at least.

Rays Tavern.JPG

Best burger in Central Utah, bar none.

Cheers,

Equipt

Yes, that is total trip mileage at that point. I thought it would be a cool little addition to the thread.

Cheers,

Equipt

Teton National Park

Teton National Park
Mile 1150

Day 2 ended with a stop in Salt Lake City to catch up with some old friends. It was fun to visit our home town again. After a bite of breakfast at Market Street downtown, it was time to get on the road. Day 3 goal was Teton National Park. For some reason, I haven't visited this park before. I've always admired the mountains from a distance on my way by. So today had something new for me to see.

What a difference a day makes. The terrain and elevation change from southern Utah desert to alpine snow capped peaks is impressive to say the least. And a little bit of weather thrown in for dramatic effect. I made my way north east through western Wyoming and a touch of Idaho to Jackson Wyoming. A beautiful little resort town. Always a favorite. I spent a few minutes in the park at the center of town, stretching my legs. The arches at the corners of the park are made from the antler fall from the elk refuge north of town, put in place in 1960. Learned something new today.

photo 3.JPG

A few miles north of town is the boundary line for Teton National Park. It incorporates a good portion of the valley, the entire mountain range to the west, and butts up to the south border of Yellowstone NP. Here is the requisite truck by sign photo, and a couple more as I make my way across the valley and into the park itself.

photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 8.JPG

Driving north through the park, I stopped at Jenny Lake. Gorgeous. They have a boat transport to the opposite side of the lake, gaining access to the mountains for hikers/climbers, and a good day hike back if so inclined. Further north, I found a campground at Signal Mountain, right on the edge of Jackson Lake. The clouds in the peaks of the Teton range were absolutely impressive.

photo 14.JPG

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94