Equipt's Alaska Solo Trek June/July 2014

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Good question. A little bit of everything. I have an iPhone packed with music, and Sirius satellite too. But the mainstay is audio books. I wish I could say I listen to some deep or educational or thought provoking. Nope. Mystery novels, filled with good guys and bad guys. Clancy, Kellerman, etc.

Oh, and the scenery isn't bad either.

:O)

Aussie T

Overland Journal Ringin
Paul.

You are making me wish I had joined you for this part too... Im getting pretty keen. Its seems like so far away until I catch up with you. But im sure it will be upon me before I say "Bobs your uncle". Ill have to pick up my game to keep my daily post as interesting and informative as yours.

Safe Journey...

Equipt

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Troy, it will be here faster than you think. I may be solo for the next little while, but I am not alone.

Cheers,

fireball

Explorer
Paul - do you have all these stops and camp sites planned in advance or just know the areas well enough to sort it out as you go along? Looks like the trip is going well so far, thanks for letting us "tag along"

Equipt

Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park
Mile 1200

I have a love/hate relationship with Yellowstone. As a kid, it was the first National Park I visited. The remoteness of our family adventure destination and all the magical things that mother nature put on display set it's hooks in me deep. Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, Little Grand Canyon, Mammoth Hot Springs. All gems on their own, and to have them within such close proximity. Yellowstone was the foundation of my remote wanderlust life. It's been quite a few years since I have been through the park. It's in great shape, and some money has been spent to keep it the old dame she is. But I knew I was in for a different experience when the south entrance was backed up 20 minutes. I slowly conformed into my place in the car lines, crossed the Continental Divide as it started to snow, and made it to Old Faithful. A beautiful new visitor center (new to me) sits between the old lodges now. The parking lot more resembled Magic Mountain than Yellowstone. I guess it needs to, to handle the thousands and thousands of visitors a day. I shared the timely geyser with over a thousand close friends. Amazing. I made my way north, heading for Mammoth and the north entrance. It's the one entrance I have not used. There wasn't a parking spot at Mammoth Hot Springs within a half mile of the springs. The closest option was on the other side of the Hotel. I left.

I love the granduer of Yellowstone, the wonders it possesses, and the place it holds in our collective American heart. And I am glad that interest in our parks is at an all time high. But I don't think I will be returning any time soon. Just too many folks jostling for position for me, and too many other less crowded places to see. I went through the big north gate, and said goodbye to an old friend. I made by way north and west toward Seally Lake. This is my first re-direction in the trip. A little bird informed me that Logan's Pass in Glacier NP still had snow on it. The road through the park is still closed. So I am heading around to the west entrance to the park, and will continue my path from there. Salmon Lake State Park had one more guest for the evening.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Did I mention snow?

Equipt

Paul - do you have all these stops and camp sites planned in advance or just know the areas well enough to sort it out as you go along? Looks like the trip is going well so far, thanks for letting us "tag along"

All these spots so far have been my back yard destinations for the last umpteen decades. I know most of this territory, up to the Canadian border. Then is starts into the unknown for me. The key for me is planned flexibility. Have a goal in mind, and be flexible enough to accept plan B, C, D. The true adventure for me is coming up quick.

Cheers,

Wainiha

Explorer
Farthest North I've been is Big Fork and Whitefish. Montana was an AMAZING place to live for 6 months. This Hawaii boy never saw anything like the mountains there. A herd of Elk so big I could here them running when we were on the freeway. Heard a cougar. Walked on Hyalite resevior(frozen and I was scared) Got in a good fight in Beartrap Canyon:sombrero:

I love Montana.

Equipt

Hey Bruce,

Yep, you're not far behind me. It's pretty wet up here in northern MT. Soggy, actually. It is supposed to clear on Thursday, so hopefully in time for your route to Calgary. Who knows, we could cross paths up north. I start zig zagging in a couple days. That'll slow the process a bit. Hope to see you up there.

Cheers,

Equipt

If you're rolling through Calgary and need anything you let me know. Safe travels.

Thanks for the offer. I am heading up to Bannf from Whitefish MT today. A bit west of you. I appreciate the offer though.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier