Equipt's Alaska Solo Trek June/July 2014

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Glacier National Park

Glacier National Park
Mile 1690

Glacier National Park is another favorite of mine. The 50 mile main road runs west to east (or east to west) up Going to the Sun Road, over Logan Pass to Saint Mary. Glacier NP is pretty much glacier-less visually today. Not only is it socked in with rain/snow, the road is only open as far as Avalanche Creek at the moment. Logan Pass is still snowed in. So I went as far as I could, and turned around. McDonald Creek is raging right now. Larger than I have ever seen. It makes it's way into Lake McDonald, and comes out the other side as Flathead River.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Lake McDonald has an amazing old lodge on it's shore. Reminiscent of an earlier grand lodge era. It is the base for the Glacier National Park Red Bus Tours. The buses were built between 1936 and 1939 by White Motor Company, and fully restored in 2001 by Ford Motor Company. They still haul visitors to Logan Pass, with a fully retractable canvas roof. Really cool. When Glacier opened, the only way in to the lodge from the west was by boat. That steam boat lives on as well, giving folks a tour of the lake now.

photo 6.JPGphoto 7.JPGphoto 9.JPG

Glacier NP is part of the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. The first cross border International Peace Park in the world.

Cheers,

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As you head west again out of Banff/Jasper area, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for Mount Robson. It's one of the great mountains of North America and getting a glimpse of it is a rare treat. It's only visible via a short valley as I recall.

Safe travels, Paul!

Equipt

Mount Robson, check. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully the grey soup vacates by then.

Thanks

digitaldelay

Explorer
FYI, some of southern Alberta is experiencing flooding right now. Be sure to check your route to Banff before you head out from Glacier. There may be road closures.

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

engineerd

Desk Jockey
I worked at Ford when they redid those buses and got to test one in the wind tunnel (climatic testing, not aero). So cool to see them "in use".

NMBruce

Adventurer

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
FYI, some of southern Alberta is experiencing flooding right now. Be sure to check your route to Banff before you head out from Glacier. There may be road closures.

Paul if you decide to divert West a bit and drive up the mountains on the (sunny) BC side, you are always welcome at our house. Hot showers and cold beer...

Drive safe buddy.

Ray

Equipt

Thanks for the heads up guys. I made it through just fine. The water is really high, that is for sure.

Ray, thanks for the invite my friend. I wish I was coming by your way. Not in the cards this trip. But plan on us coming to see you another time.

Cheers,

Equipt

Parc National Kootenah / Bannf

Parc National Kootenay / Bannf
Mile 1980

Heading north from Whitefish MT, I arrived at the US/Canadian border. After what I would consider a vehicular cavity search by the polite border guards, looking for hooch, drugs, and anything that goes “Bang”, I was on my way. First thing I noticed was that I should have paid more attention in French class. Welcome to Canada. I need to switch to my Metric gear too.

Roughly 80 miles north, I headed into the Parc National Kootenay. Sorry, missed the entry sign/truck photo. You are going to get tired of reading this word. Amazing. I mean no disrespect to Teton NP, but they are ordinary mountains compared to what I saw up here today. The mountain range here was just that. Perhaps is was the proximity, but the mountains here are incredible. Huge. There was a “Bears on highway” alert, so I wasn't able to get out much. Here are a couple images.

Kootenah 1.jpgKootenah 2.JPGKootenah 3.JPG

I passed the Continental Divide sign and had to turn around to get a shot. The divide separates Kootenay from Parc National Bannf. 18 years after becoming a country, Canada declared their first national parks. A series of 4 parks, with these two separated by the border of British Columbia and Alberta. It has been more than 3 decades since I last visited Banff NP. It was implanted in my head as a teenager what an incredible place Bannf was. I couldn't remember the details why, but it stuck as one of the most beautiful places in the world. Now I remember. Absolutely astonishing.

Bannf 2.JPGBannf 3.JPG

I made my way east into a camp spot just outside of Bannf City for the night. I can wait to see the mountains tomorrow in better light.

Cheers

Last edited:

Equipt

US National Pack Bagging

US National Pack Bagging

Not bad for 5 days. I was able to visit 6 of the best National Parks in the western US on my way to the Canadian border. I really like their park maps. They're a permanent part of my travel library.

National Parks Maps.JPG

Arktikos

Explorer
[. It was implanted in my head as a teenager what an incredible place Banff was. I couldn't remember the details why, but it stuck as one of the most beautiful places in the world. Now I remember. Absolutely astonishing...

I feel the same way. Been three times, first as a small child. Never spend enough time there. Oh well, I'll have to go back again. :)

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Great trip report but it would exhaust me. No afternoon naps.

Try and pick up a copy of Looking For Alaska by Peter Jenkins. It's the best book on Alaska I have found. Not a guide book, just a great read.

Ace

2008 FJ Cruiser expedition ready and off-road trailer with RTT.

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
Are you going to drive up the icefields parkway as you head north (is it open yet?) It is a beautiful drive. I love the way the rockies along there sweep up from the valley floor.

It doesn't look like you made it to Waterton national park; the Prince of Wales hotel there is really cool.
P1030428.jpg
P1030423.jpg

We will be passing by that way in August to visit family in Edmonton this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke